Things look bleak. If anyone can donate please do. Thanks everyone. Im trying to scrape up funds..... only month to go.
Rob

Oil Viscosity Substututions (Northern Idaho) (SOLVED)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1000? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

anothervirago1000
What Virago you Own:

Oil Viscosity Substututions (Northern Idaho) (SOLVED)

Post by anothervirago1000 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:47 pm

finding 20w40 is kind of hard, so I want to know if the common motorcycle weights are okay replacements.

What do you guys think about 20w50 vtwin oil? Or 10w40 motorcycle oil? How about 15w40 Shell Rotella?

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: Oil Viscosity Substututions (Northern Idaho) (SOLVED)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:22 am

anothervirago1000 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:47 pm
finding 20w40 is kind of hard, so I want to know if the common motorcycle weights viscosity are okay replacements.

What do you guys think about 20w50 vtwin oil? Or 10w40 motorcycle oil? How about 15w40 Shell Rotella?
============

To my knowledge, 20W40 in the U.S. no longer exists, but sometimes miracles can happen.
Be careful on oils that say "Motorcycle specific" and have a hefty price tag. Don't be fooled read the labels.
Compare them to other oil(s) and brands.

Stay far away from anything that says "Energy saving" or anything along those lines. It contains "molybdenum" in the oil and bad for wet clutches, makes them slip.
Do a little research, the internet has a plethora of information on oil. You'll be amazed what you can learn about oils!

OIL and ZDDP - FLAT TAPPET ENGINES [INFO]

viewtopic.php?t=616

Additional information: Fork Oil:

FORK OIL 1100's
(not just for 1100's. I only researched this for 1100's, however, I don't see why it wouldn't work for most other Virago's that take the same viscosity fork oil as an 1100.)
viewtopic.php?t=652
If this website was helpful, please consider donating.

Remember: It's Free to use - but not free to run - make a contribution to support the site, or it may not be here after Feb., 2023!

ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!