☆This time I personally need your help....☆
This was a tough decision to decide on. I generally stay behind the scenes keeping this site chugging along. Joe, is the one that gives out the amazing wealth of knowledge he has. I've put an amazing amount of time into the bringing together this website and not to mention have footed the bills a few times. I've kept us hacker free for a damn long time. I never ask much of you guy/gals. Only if we get in crunch time and the site needs a little help. Ive never asked for the ridiculous thousands I have seen another site ask for.. ridiculous is the perfect word. I even removed ads for those that log in, severely cutting revenue. Sites been about helping people, not making money. I feel bad actually doing this.. but I need help. I have gastroparesis brought on from diabetes(20+ years). I've been struggling with this nightmare for over 3 years. Finally diagnosed beginning this year. Look it up. Look up worst cases... that's me. Ive lost 60 lbs since January. 28 days ago the company I've worked for for many years found their dirty lil way to fire me. I was approved for up to 3 days off a week for fmla.. that really pissed them off. So illegally fired, savings drained from medical bills, bad diabetic now with no insurance. I'm in deep shit. That is politely saying it unfortunately. If any of you guys cant help please at least keep me in your thoughts. If this was wrong, me asking for help, my apologies. I'm declining in health fast, and unemployment hasn't came through yet and that in itself is a nightmare. Anyone who can, please donate to the website. This time it goes to help me. Thank you everyone. Again, my apologies for asking. I honestly don't know what to do or where to turn.
Rob *This message can be dismissed by hovering over the upper right corner of it and X should appear. click that.*
UPDATE: THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN A FEW OF YOU DONATING. THANK YOU SO MUCH, I'M LITERALLY IN TEARS AS I TYPE THIS. EVERY PENNY COUNTS. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING THE HEROES RIGHT NOW.

1985 Xv 1000 fuel pump issue?

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV1000? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

paul
What Virago you Own: 1985 Xv1000
1984 xv 750

1985 Xv 1000 fuel pump issue?

Post by paul » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:56 pm

So bike runs magnificent all summer, however part way through the season I notice a change in the fuel pump sound. Every time ignition is turned on fuel pump runs the complete long cycle, not it’s regular 2 blips after initial start. Still didn’t cause me any concern as it ran great, until I ran low on gas and had to switch to reserve.bike then cut out on front cylinder and would not start after and fuel pump flooded the carbs to the point of gas’s running out the breather!!! Is it possible for the pump to “push” fuel back through full carb bowls? It has new (3-4yrs) needles and seats …do I need a new pump, do I need a new controller? Do I have a pc of dirt preventing the needle from fully seating? Any thoughts or ideas would be great!!!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1985 Xv 1000 fuel pump issue?

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:40 pm

paul wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:56 pm
So bike runs magnificent all summer, however part way through the season I notice a change in the fuel pump sound. Every time ignition is turned on fuel pump runs the complete long cycle, not it’s regular 2 blips after initial start. Still didn’t cause me any concern as it ran great, until I ran low on gas and had to switch to reserve.bike then cut out on front cylinder and would not start after and fuel pump flooded the carbs to the point of gas’s running out the breather!!! Is it possible for the pump to “push” fuel back through full carb bowls? It has new (3-4yrs) needles and seats …do I need a new pump, do I need a new controller? Do I have a pc of dirt preventing the needle from fully seating? Any thoughts or ideas would be great!!!
============

paul,

For the carburetors to flood as you say. Chances are that the float needle and seats are not stopping the fuel when the float Bowls are full of fuel. The float can be stuck on the side of the float bowl well. Place the bike on the center stand and tap the float bowl well with a screw driver handle lightly and see if that stops the fuel flow.

Also the float itself may have a leak in it and sinks to the bottom of the float bowl well.

There shouldn't be any dirt in the float bowl chamber for you have a fuel filter up stream on the fuel pump. Has it ever been changed?

I don't believe the fuel pump is the culprit at this point. They seldomly fail.
There are fuel pump repair kits available. In your browser search for Fuel Pump Repair Kit Tour Max fps-900.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

paul
1984 xv 750

Post by paul » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:50 pm

Thanks for the info Joe, guess I should pull them off and have a look. Just finished doing my sons xv750 carbs after it sat for 6 yrs (man they were nasty!), it just pains me To have to do it all over again so soon lol

paul
1984 xv 750

Post by paul » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:04 pm

Took the carbs off, no issue-nothing stuck. Bench tested float heights -all good. Needles seemed to seat well with full bowls- could not blow back through main lines. Put it all back together and fired right up- only to flood out again shortly after… I just don’t understand it. Fuel pump seems “over active”. As soon as I hit the starter button I can hear it going through it’s full 5-6 second cycle, even when the bowls are full… :(