Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Vacuum/Vent line help [PENDING]

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV920? Post it here!
Hayama
What Virago you Own:

Vacuum/Vent line help [PENDING]

Post by Hayama » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi,
I've recently purchased a basket case XV920. Most parts were in great condition, however the previous owner pulled all the vacuum and vent lines. To my knowledge, I can safely cap all the plugs on the carb boots and my particular year bike (1981) was blessed with not having a mixture control valve or coasting enrichement circuit. While doing an engine rebuild, I noticed that the front right cam cover has a vent line that has been disconnected. Many XV920s that I see online do not have that line. Is it safe to assume that I can cap it or do I have to put some sort of filter on it? Is there any other vent or vacuum line that is absolutely neccesery?
Thanks,
Jason

Rob
Administrator
Administrator
What Virago you Own: Unable to ride due to health issues...

Re: Vacuum/Vent line help

Post by Rob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:54 am

Welcome to Virago Help! I can help you with this problem. There is of course something you don't want to block. This is the vacuum lines going to the fuel petcocks. Those are vacuum operated and if not connected you will not get any fuel to the carburetors. As far as I know everything else can be blocked off. This is a good idea as these bikes being so old have a good chance of small vacuum leaks. Especially the connection you asked about that is located on the cam cover. This vacuum connection is for the mixture valve, or lean run valve. As far as I know this can be blocked off without any issues. Hope this information helps. If you need them, we have repair manuals, Chilton, and Haynes, in PDF format. Just let me know and I will PM you the download link for them. Peace.
Rob

When you get her together post a few pics to show her off 8-)
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE

Bogie000
What Virago you Own:

Re: Vacuum/Vent line help [PENDING]

Post by Bogie000 » Fri May 29, 2020 6:36 am

Did you ever get a handle on the vacuum lines. I am in the same situation