Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1983 XV920 New to me, but need help on current carb configuration.

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV920? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

zero420
What Virago you Own:

1983 XV920 New to me, but need help on current carb configuration.

Post by zero420 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:50 pm

Hi all,

I just bought this bike and I'm super excited. I feel like I got a great deal on the bike, as I was able to talk the owner down rather cheap as it currently isn't running. Anyways, I always have planned to find a great priced 920 or 1100 and do a cafe racer, and I found a bike with basically all the parts already installed and a lot of the work already done, so I really paid for just parts which I already intended to buy and install. Anyways, the previous owner had the bike running up until early this year, but had gas sitting in it since last year. He said he wasn't mechanically sound so he never felt comfortable doing any work himself and always took it to a shop even for oil changes. I can get it turned over for about 20 seconds then it chokes and dies.

In looking over the bike, it feels like it needs a full carb cleaning and possible rebuild with all new rubber bit internals. However, I am not sure how the hoses are running on the bike. They look and feel unbalanced. Anybody have any thoughts on what might have happened here with the gas hoses, and possible air hoses? I know some people do the single carb set up, and this almost likes like a hybrid attempts. Granted I have not cracked open the carbs so I don't what size the pilot or mains are in each carb. Will be doing that soon, but wanted to see what you all thought on the current carb configuration.

Here is some picks of the side of the carbs, and my other bikes. I also own a YZF600R which I converted to a streetfight, doing all my own work. I have a build thread on customfighters.com....
I also have a YZ45F '04 dirtbike.
My fiance` has the '82 CB750C cafe racer, which we are currently doing some work on relocating wires and the battery and cleaning up the V and where the air-box was located.

I appreciate all of your help and thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Phill

P.S.

Will update sig soon, but I live in Utah, USA for elevation purposes
Attachments
Left side 4.jpg
Left side 3.jpg
Left side 2.jpg
Left Side 1.jpg
From Utah, Eagle Mt. USA
83 920 Virago
07 YZF600R
04 YZ45F

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: 1983 XV920 New to me, but need help on current carb configuration.

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:34 am

Phill,

I suggest getting a Maintenance/Repair manual for your Virago XV920 for fuel and vacuum hose routing.

Here is some information for Hitachi Carburetors.
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-hitachi-carburetors/
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

zero420
What Virago you Own:

Post by zero420 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:23 am

Here's the right side for picture references.
Attachments
Right side1.jpg
Right side 3.jpg
Right side 2.jpg
From Utah, Eagle Mt. USA
83 920 Virago
07 YZF600R
04 YZ45F

zero420
What Virago you Own:

Post by zero420 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 am

ViragoJoe wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:34 am
Phill,

I suggest getting a Maintenance/Repair manual for your Virago XV920 for fuel and vacuum hose routing.

Thanks, for the link, Joe. I appreciate the help. I am confused here, reference my last comment, as the hoses are not distributed equally. My first thought would be either to rebuild the carbs as is with the current hose configuration and see how it runs. Then look to go back to stock hose configuration.

**Edit: I just read that article. Thanks again. There's good information in there especially with the different versions and noting the installment order of the pilot screw in the V2 Carbs, which is what I am working with in my '83.
From Utah, Eagle Mt. USA
83 920 Virago
07 YZF600R
04 YZ45F

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:31 pm

zero420 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 am
ViragoJoe wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:34 am
Phill,

Thanks, for the link, Joe. I appreciate the help. I am confused here, reference my last comment, as the hoses are not distributed equally. My first thought would be either to rebuild the carbs as is with the current hose configuration and see how it runs. Then look to go back to stock hose configuration.

**Edit: I just read that article. Thanks again. There's good information in there especially with the different versions and noting the installment order of the pilot screw in the V2 Carbs, which is what I am working with in my '83.
You can route the hoses anyway you see fit with any look you like cosmetically. As long as the carbs are getting fuel they really don't care how it gets there as long as it does. Cosmetically, I would try to go with the shortest path and out of sight. Remember, anything that has changed from stock condition to custom modifications there are usually consequences. It puts one in a situation of trial and error and then go with what works best. As for the fuel lines being as they are now. Best you talk with the previous owner and ask why he did it that way. Maybe there was a reason. Since you don't know how the bike ran prior to you getting it (in a non running condition), you are just second guessing. First you have to get it running. Then you can play around with it.
ViragoJoe
;)

zero420
What Virago you Own:

Post by zero420 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:58 pm

The previous owner purchased it as ran it as is and didn't really know much about the set up.
From Utah, Eagle Mt. USA
83 920 Virago
07 YZF600R
04 YZ45F

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:19 pm

zero420 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:58 pm
The previous owner purchased it as is and didn't really know much about the set up.
I see.

Now, that makes three of us. :? :oops:

How long did it sit in a non running condition, prior to you obtaining it?
ViragoJoe
;)

zero420
What Virago you Own:

Post by zero420 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Running last fall, reported in good running condition.
From Utah, Eagle Mt. USA
83 920 Virago
07 YZF600R
04 YZ45F

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:15 am

zero420 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:28 pm
Running last fall, reported in good running condition.
You may have a better chance of getting it up and running. Some bikes that sat for a long time develop rust deposits in the fuel tank and that sediment from the rust clogs things up. Also, when cranking the starter go easy on it and allow it to cool down between attempts to start the bike. You don't want to add to more things to repair.

"Prolonged Hard Starting (Cranking) " Catastrophic Affects - Virago 1100 [INFO.]
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=833

This goes for other Virago's as well. :shock:

If the fuel wasn't treated with a fuel stabilizer upon storing the bike. There is a good chance that fuel is pretty stale and should be replaced with fresh fuel. Gasoline starts going South after 30 days. Wouldn't hurt to add a stabilizer to it. That fresh fuel may sit for a while before you get the bike up and running. Stabilizer can prolong gasoline storage up to 24 months usually.

Good luck on cleaning the Carburetors up.

You are most likely aware to get combustion you need, air, fuel, and spark. Get them right and you have a running bike.
ViragoJoe
;)

zero420
What Virago you Own:

Post by zero420 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Hey Joe. Thank you for all of your help. I have time this weekend and I plan on getting to the carbs and seeing how things are inside. I do have one question though that is still bothering me.

In the images posted, I see that on the left side there is a line from the gas tank to the carb and to the boot, however this is not the same on the right where it only connects to the carb, and not the carb boot.

My question is: Why would there be a gas line directly into the boot? I see from other virago post and videos on the carb cleaning process that both boots AND carbs are feed from the petcock.

Now, I realize that this is a modified virago, and the carbs and alterations that I don't know of as of yet. BUT, I haven't personally seen a set of carb and boots that are feed quite like this. Any education you could give me on why the boots are feed fuel, I would greatly appreciate it.
From Utah, Eagle Mt. USA
83 920 Virago
07 YZF600R
04 YZ45F