☆This time I personally need your help....☆
This was a tough decision to decide on. I generally stay behind the scenes keeping this site chugging along. Joe, is the one that gives out the amazing wealth of knowledge he has. I've put an amazing amount of time into the bringing together this website and not to mention have footed the bills a few times. I've kept us hacker free for a damn long time. I never ask much of you guy/gals. Only if we get in crunch time and the site needs a little help. Ive never asked for the ridiculous thousands I have seen another site ask for.. ridiculous is the perfect word. I even removed ads for those that log in, severely cutting revenue. Sites been about helping people, not making money. I feel bad actually doing this.. but I need help. I have gastroparesis brought on from diabetes(20+ years). I've been struggling with this nightmare for over 3 years. Finally diagnosed beginning this year. Look it up. Look up worst cases... that's me. Ive lost 60 lbs since January. 28 days ago the company I've worked for for many years found their dirty lil way to fire me. I was approved for up to 3 days off a week for fmla.. that really pissed them off. So illegally fired, savings drained from medical bills, bad diabetic now with no insurance. I'm in deep shit. That is politely saying it unfortunately. If any of you guys cant help please at least keep me in your thoughts. If this was wrong, me asking for help, my apologies. I'm declining in health fast, and unemployment hasn't came through yet and that in itself is a nightmare. Anyone who can, please donate to the website. This time it goes to help me. Thank you everyone. Again, my apologies for asking. I honestly don't know what to do or where to turn.
Rob *This message can be dismissed by hovering over the upper right corner of it and X should appear. click that.*
UPDATE: THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN A FEW OF YOU DONATING. THANK YOU SO MUCH, I'M LITERALLY IN TEARS AS I TYPE THIS. EVERY PENNY COUNTS. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING THE HEROES RIGHT NOW.

Carbs Parts XV920

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV920? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

iceman61
What Virago you Own: 82j920 83920mk

Carbs Parts XV920

Post by iceman61 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:19 am

hi iceman61 here does anyone know where to get carb parts for a 920 the parts you need to rebuild a set of carbs i have two sets 83 & 82 with no plugs so the 82 would be better? or should i just buy the 34 mukini kit any input would help thanks

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: Carbs Parts XV920

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:55 am

iceman61 wrote:hi iceman61 here does anyone know where to get carb parts for a 920 the parts you need to rebuild a set of carbs i have two sets 83 & 82 with no plugs so the 82 would be better? or should i just buy the 34 mukini kit any input would help thanks
Hopefully, this is what you are looking for:
https://www.ebay.com/i/392270388002?chn=ps

Virago Hitachi Carburetors:
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-hitachi-carburetors/
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

iceman61
What Virago you Own: 82j920 83920mk

Post by iceman61 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:47 pm

thanks for the info on the carb kit

iamunique127
What Virago you Own: '82 XV920RJ

Post by iamunique127 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:11 am

I struggled with the Hitachi carbs for 3 or 4 years, cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. Something always seemed to be wrong with them.
Finally I raided my chopper for it's VM34's and I've never been happier. They are easy to clean and easy to tune and the bike runs so much better.
I highly recommend the change to the Mikuni round slides.
Lyle

audiopro2001

Post by audiopro2001 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:55 pm

There is a couple of companies on eBay US that sell complete plug and play kits to change from the Hitachi carbs to the Mikuni VM34s..... Spacers intake manifolds, two into one throttle cable fit for our Yamaha twist grips.
I bought a kit installed it and have never looked back.
I drove my 920 for four years with the Hitachis and feel the Mikunis provide a much better service to the 920 power plant. Check it out they both provide good info about their kits.
Brian "audiopro" Houle
Living in the beautiful northern part of Minnesota.
I love it here!

1982 Virago XV920J
C5 Optically encoded ignition system
Mikuni VM34 round slides
Riding on Kenda Rubber
Complete LED Lighting for the entire bike
Desperatly working on EFI Design :lol: :lol:

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:12 pm

audiopro2001 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:55 pm
There is a couple of companies on eBay US that sell complete plug and play kits to change from the Hitachi carbs to the Mikuni VM34s..... Spacers intake manifolds, two into one throttle cable fit for our Yamaha twist grips.
I bought a kit installed it and have never looked back.
I drove my 920 for four years with the Hitachis and feel the Mikunis provide a much better service to the 920 power plant. Check it out they both provide good info about their kits.
============
Audio,
How about providing the link to obtain the kit and save iceman work trying to find what you have already done.

thanks.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

audiopro2001

Post by audiopro2001 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:53 pm

I am sorry I was trying to do to many things at once earlier....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172046335931?m ... media=COPY

This is the eBay link to the kit and company out of FL US I got mine from. They are VERY well designed kits and the folks at Niche Cycle have been amazingly helpful even years later after I purchased and installed my kit.
Their customer service is the kind I dream of when I spend this kind of money. I have been so happy with the carb change now 3 seasons later I would never go back. One thing in open disclosure.... I have never been a single carb fan and it would take a physicist to change my mind. The single carb manifold develop some strange airflow patterns in them that in my humble opinion actually keep the atomized fuel from cleanly entering the cylinder. The ONLY person that I would buy a single carb manifold setup from is Adam Smith. He is the only person I know that has done ALL of the homework and testing that was necessary to make it work correctly. He is a pretty big stickler also about buying your carb from him BUT here again Adam is the expert and KNOWS how to get the carb setup for your engine and what carbs and settings to use. Here again Adam HAS DONE the theoretical design work ALOT of testing and testing on different Virago power plants and is the only person I would trust to setup a single carb system for me.... HANDS DOWN!!!
The catch like with anything done as well as he has done it is cost. The last time I talked to him (2years ago) he had slowed down his production of manifolds and setups.... I think family time was very important to him.
The cost complete and shipped if I recall correctly was around 900 US dollars. If you are a die hard single carb guy then this is the only setup that was researched, designed, tested and he rides on nearly every day.... None of the other systems have anywhere near this amount of work put into them with the amount of scientifically proven and repeatable testing results not have any of the others spent as much time with their customer's making sure that his exceeded all of their expectations. If you want you can find him over on the Viragotechforum or get a hold of me and I will check into whether or not he has continued producing his system.

I love dual carbs because it sets us a rung above HD bikes and I have tested a few of my refurbished Viragos for others and my 1982 XV920j has never been more solid in the midrange and smooth at my 4k cruising speed which is 70 mph on the freeway. I also get better fuel mileage with my bike since my Mikuni refit. There are a few things on my 920 that most might not use most notably the C5 ignition system that I have on my 920.
I ride my bike in greater N Minnesota US 5 TO 6 months out of the year. Trust me when I say that I ride as far as as often as I can... I love my 920j. The thousands of hours I've been able to spend in her saddle are medicine to my soul.... I, at 60 this year am looking forward to thousands more....
Let me know if you need any more info... Ok?
Good luck... Please share your experience with us... All we have any more is each other's experience and knowledge to keep our Viragos and new Virago owners on the road!
Brian "audiopro" Houle
Living in the beautiful northern part of Minnesota.
I love it here!

1982 Virago XV920J
C5 Optically encoded ignition system
Mikuni VM34 round slides
Riding on Kenda Rubber
Complete LED Lighting for the entire bike
Desperatly working on EFI Design :lol: :lol:

RZMike95
What Virago you Own:

Post by RZMike95 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:57 pm

I have an XV920r, chain drive. Looking, without measuring, I am wondering if the Mikunis will fit with the throttle cables coming out of the top. I don't want to spend $500. if they won't fit right. Also, is there any way of working the vacuum petcocks? I don't see any nipples. Mine actually has 2 on the front cylinder for some type setup on the other side.