Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

82 xv750 cranks but doesn't start, rich gas smell.

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV750? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

JohnFM
What Virago you Own:

82 xv750 cranks but doesn't start, rich gas smell.

Post by JohnFM » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:05 am

Just got a 82 750 on craigslist last night, other than some small electric issues like the blinkers not working on one side, ect, but it started and ran fine last night and this morning. Now it cranks and cranks but nothing, gets a realy rich smell of gas too. New to bikes as this is my first personal one. Thanks in aadvance for any addvice.

Rob
Administrator
Administrator
What Virago you Own: Unable to ride due to health issues...

Re: 82 xv750 cranks but doesn't start, rich gas smell.

Post by Rob » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:20 am

Welcome to ViragoHelp John. A common problem on the first gen Virago is the fuel shutoff valves. They work on vacuum. The issue is they allowing gas to flow to the carbs when the bike sits flooding them and leaking into the crank case. Check your oil. Is it gassy smelling? I had this issue on mine and had to replace the petcocks. I also installed inline fuel shutoffs incase the petcocks fail. Let us know if this helps.
Rob
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE

Rob
Administrator
Administrator
What Virago you Own: Unable to ride due to health issues...

Post by Rob » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:28 am

Forgot to mention. We have 2 service manuals for Yamaha Viragos. Here is the link to them.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=779
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE

JohnFM
What Virago you Own:

Post by JohnFM » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:30 am

Checked the oil, i dont notice any gas smell in it. How can i see if the vavle is letting fuel down? I got it to get a little puff out but only for a second or two. Still getting that rich fuel smell when it cranks.

JohnFM
What Virago you Own:

Post by JohnFM » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:59 pm

I got it started, battery wasnt charged enough to crank her hard enough. Ran for a good 10 minutes and then slowly faded out. Looks like i have a oil leak somewhere cause it had a fair amount of blue smoke coming off it

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:51 pm

JohnFM wrote:I got it started, battery wasnt charged enough to crank her hard enough. Ran for a good 10 minutes and then slowly faded out. Looks like i have a oil leak somewhere cause it had a fair amount of blue smoke coming off it
John,
Blue smoke coming off of what exactly? Or do you me coming out from the exhaust pipe?

Virago's require a strong battery to turn them over. when not riding keep your battery on a float charger. viewtopic.php?t=378
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

JohnFM
What Virago you Own:

Post by JohnFM » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:55 pm

From what i can tell it lools like theres a brownish fluid leaking from the rear exhuast where it meats the block it drips down and pools. Not a heavy drip id say ome drop every 45 seconds to a minute. And again once it dies i have to let it sit for about 25-30 minutes before itll start again. Also have to charge the battery but i think thats just from trying to start it with no success.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:07 pm

JohnFM wrote:From what i can tell it lools like theres a brownish fluid leaking from the rear exhuast where it meats the block it drips down and pools. Not a heavy drip id say ome drop every 45 seconds to a minute. And again once it dies i have to let it sit for about 25-30 minutes before itll start again. Also have to charge the battery but i think thats just from trying to start it with no success.
Let the starter cool between starts to save wear and tear on the starter. They will get hot and need a little time to cool between each attempt. Same for car starters. These starters aren't cheap. Patiences is worth the price of a new starter.

Get some of that brownish fluid of you finger. what does it smell like?
ViragoJoe
;)

JohnFM
What Virago you Own:

Post by JohnFM » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:10 pm

Yea i dont want to push it before i even get to ride it. I know i can get it started but the cut off worries me as i have been finding somewhat similar instances only they were actively moving on their bike. Would prefer to avoid this.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:14 pm

JohnFM wrote:Yea i dont want to push it before i even get to ride it. I know i can get it started but the cut off worries me as i have been finding somewhat similar instances only they were actively moving on their bike. Would prefer to avoid this.
Please explain this sentence:
"I know i can get it started but the cut off worries me as i have been finding somewhat similar instances only they were actively moving on their bike. Would prefer to avoid this."
ViragoJoe
;)