1996 Virago XV750 Fuel Filter Question (Northeast USA)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV750? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Nuke
What Virago you Own: 1996 XV750

1996 Virago XV750 Fuel Filter Question (Northeast USA)

Post by Nuke » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:19 pm

I have a 1996 xv750 with the original petcock setup. I am pretty sure my main fuel filter is clogged as the bike runs erratically (one cylinder/stalls/surges/etc.) after a couple of minutes when running on that setting. When I switch to reserve (or prime), it seems to run fine. Where can I get replacement filters, or do I need to buy an entire petcock replacement? What is the best petcock replacement? Also, is reserve vacuum activated? Or is it like prime where it bypasses vacuum activated valve?

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1996 Virago XV750 Fuel Filter Question (Northeast USA)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:02 pm

Nuke wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:19 pm
I have a 1996 xv750 with the original petcock setup. I am pretty sure my main fuel filter is clogged as the bike runs erratically (one cylinder/stalls/surges/etc.) after a couple of minutes when running on that setting. When I switch to reserve (or prime), it seems to run fine. Where can I get replacement filters, or do I need to buy an entire petcock replacement? What is the best petcock replacement? Also, is reserve vacuum activated? Or is it like prime where it bypasses vacuum activated valve?
===================================

Nuke,
Where can I get replacement filters, or do I need to buy an entire petcock replacement? What is the best petcock replacement? Also, is reserve vacuum activated? Or is it like prime where it bypasses vacuum activated valve?
Replacement Filter? Yamaha parts lists do not show them as a replacement item.

XV750's really didn't have a Fuel Filter per say like the XV1000 & XV1100's do.

I believe there is a mesh screen on the top of the fuel inlet stem of the petcock that acts somewhat like a filter.

The petcock would require removal to clean it and/or replace it.

May require an entire replacement petcock if cleaning doesn't work, or is damaged in some way.
Best petcock for replacement. We don't know who Yamaha used for their original source. Sorry, the petcock manufacture choice will have to be yours.

XV750 Owners Manual provides this information on how it functions:

Click Image to Enlarge:
FUEL COCK FUNCTION XV750.png

Read this article below:

Virago Fuel Systems
Explains how the Fuel Systems changed for different models and/or years of the Virago Family.
https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/app.php/v ... 1a3ae0bb5a
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location & Bike Information.
It will aid us in assisting you!