1995 Virago XV750 new front tire (Mexico City, Mexico)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV750? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1995 Virago XV750 new front tire (Mexico City, Mexico)

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:03 am

jsyzdek wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:43 am
Joe, you meant 401s/402s, not 404s? The latter are actually good for Viragos.
Right you are sir. I miss heard what Revzilla tech said in the video. Don't get old, you hearing goes first. :lol:
Corrected my post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:38 pm

No worries.

By the way: speaking of the center groove in tires: as I look at the 404s, there is indeed a grove in the middle, but it's not a straight grove; instead, it zig-zags from side to side. I have never noticed any instability, or following of rain groves on the road. No issues with tar snakes. I don't even have a hard time getting over longitudinal steps in pavement (when one lane is repaved and sits taller than the next one). The bike handles really well, even in strong cross-winds.

I run 32psi in the front, 38psi in the back.

Do other people have different experience with these tires?
Last edited by jsyzdek on Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

gusll
What Virago you Own: XV750G 1995 Virago

Post by gusll » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:44 pm

jsyzdek wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:38 pm
No worries.

By the way: speaking of the center groove in tires: as I look at the 404s, there is indeed a grove in the middle, but it's not a straight grove; instead, it zig-zags from side to side. I have never noticed any instability, or following of rain groves on the road. No issues with tar snakes. I don't even have a hard time getting over longitudinal steps in pavement (when one line is repaved and sits taller than the next one). The bike handles really well, even in strong cross-winds.

jsyzdek,

Let me share with you that I have ridden some other Viragos, from some guys in town, one XV1100 (don´t know the year), another XV750 '94, both with D404s, and I thought it was me, the guy wabbling in these steps in pavement as you well described. No difference between these two bikes and my bike with the D401s. They tend to follow the border line of patches in repaved streets. And the D404s and my D401s have the same pattern (at least the ones I have and my buddies). Let me say that these effect is increased in low speed conditions, above 20 mph there is no hassle.
But with this chat, I've found that probably is the pattern of the tire.

On the other hand, my compadre's bike, is a vulcan 750 '96, and has the same size of front tire that my virago (100/90-19 front tire and 150-90 15 rear), weight of the bike is around 500 pounds, just like XV750s, and when I ride it in the same repaved streets, it passes smoothly where I my bike doesn't. I'm talking again secondary street, low speed.
This Vulcan has Metzelers ME 888, great grip and long lasting, and no center groove.

I've done some research, and there is an affordable option in Michelin commander III cruiser, I've seen some reviews and I think is a good option. according to the technical sheet: Long lasting, improved grip. someone has these tires?
Riding is great, riding with a friend is better.

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:21 pm

I wonder if the stiffness of the suspension has something to do with it, or the tire pressure. Or like you said: speed. I hardly ever go that slow ;) I may slow down to 20mph in a tight hairpin turn, or spend about 1s in that range when taking off from a stop, or coming down to a stop... I even go >20mph over speed bumps :)
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:35 pm

jsyzdek wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:38 pm
No worries.

By the way: speaking of the center groove in tires: as I look at the 404s, there is indeed a grove in the middle, but it's not a straight grove; instead, it zig-zags from side to side. I have never noticed any instability, or following of rain groves on the road. No issues with tar snakes. I don't even have a hard time getting over longitudinal steps in pavement (when one line is repaved and sits taller than the next one). The bike handles really well, even in strong cross-winds.

Yes Sir Yarek,

Oh yeah, they would follow every crack, rain groove, and irregularity in the pavement. Both gussll and I have experienced this with that same zig-zag pattern from side to side center tread. They were good, even, when caught in the rain. I ride with 29 PSI in the front and 33 PSI in the rear. However, I don't ride two up at all. I did try inflating them to 31 front and 36 Rear once. But, got a harsher ride. I didn't have the Progressive Fork Springs yet and the forks would really jitter-bug up and down with every imperfection in the pavement. Plays hell with the front fork seals. Next time you are on the road try observing the fork legs and forks tubes working together. Not until I got the Progressive Fork Springs did the jitter-bugging get to a normal up and down movement. Without the rapid up and down jitter-bugging movement. The Dunlop Elite ll's when they made them has the same tread patterns as the D404's they look identical. Which came first I have no clue. But, I guess the D404's are still available. I was forced into the elite 3's that I just love. Feels more sure footed in the corning capabilities. No more following cracks etc. in the road and great with wet pavements.

If you have any asphalt pavement there that has a really black glossy shinny smooth finish look to it, stay off that crap when wet. There are no pores in it for you tires to bite into. That crap when wet is slippery than snot on a door knob. Even when dry it is bad news.

What they call here in Michigan as Black Ice. In the winter in Michigan it really is black Ice. For you can look right through the Ice and think it is dry black asphalt, Surprise!!

That's why on overpass bridges there are signs the say "Bridge Freezes Before the Road". Black Ice Surprise in the making!! 4 Wheeler's can encounter Black Ice and do 360° degree turns. One car can wipe out two or three cars coming from the other direction. Even though cars ahead went over that same Black Ice and didn't get a wiggle from it. When temps are just right to form Black Ice. Motorcyclist who ride in cold temps leave their bikes in the garage. I use to be one of them in my younger days for I didn't have a car.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:48 pm

jsyzdek wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:21 pm
I wonder if the stiffness of the suspension has something to do with it, or the tire pressure. Or like you said: speed. I hardly ever go that slow ;) I may slow down to 20mph in a tight hairpin turn, or spend about 1s in that range when taking off from a stop, or coming down to a stop... I even go >20mph over speed bumps :)
Yarek,

Going over speed bumps at 20 mph here will knock the fillings out of your teeth. They are like parking space blocks 6" tall 6" across. They aren't long soft ingress and egress types. I've only seen a few of those here.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

jsyzdek

Post by jsyzdek » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:28 pm

Yup, we have those really bad, harsh speed bumps here. That's what I'm talking about. I hit them at 40mph+ on my sports bike. I just get up on my feet and let the bike do its job while my head and torso fly leveled. We have a lot of bad bumps on the freeways too: with the frequent earthquakes they can't keep it all smooth. They don't even try if I have to be honest. Each time there is an overpass or something, there is a bump getting on, and getting off of it. Each time I lift from my seat or I would lose the fillings in my teeth as you say.
Easier to do it on the sports bike where my body is right over my feet vs. the cruiser where I'm sitting back. But I found a way to minimize the impact. I do have to go quite a bit slower than the sports bike. This is part of the reason I was always complaining about the suspension :) It has to be stiff just right. Not so stiff it kicks me off the bike, but not so soft that it bottoms out on every little thing.

Lots of tar snakes here from the roads cracking due to moving ground and earthquakes. When we have a drought: it's DRY. But when the rain comes, it can be massive, and so lots of rain groves on the roads. And strong winds over bridges and roads going over hilltops. We have it all here, except freezing temperatures right on the coast. But we have them just ~100miles inland.

Still: somehow I never had any issues with the 404s. I must be one lucky bastard :)

One thing I probably should mention is that I either have my back on the back rest, or on my wife's body and so my hands sit very light on the handlebars. I don't use them to hold on to the bike. It removes a lot of the unwanted steering input and smooths out the ride drastically.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:24 am

Hey Yarek,

I find this amusing. Play these two Videos regarding tire review of the D404 tires.

Do they not contradict one another?

Dunlop D404 Cruiser Tire Review at Competition Accessories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC-sEG5bSRc

Dunlop D404 Tires Review at RevZilla.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp8IS6slO5Y
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

jsyzdek

Post by jsyzdek » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:42 pm

Are you being sarcastic? because they sound awfully similar to me.

Back to the bike moving around on pavement:
https://youtu.be/BhOomvv6oNI?t=2115
Watch the 4 minutes from that point onward (35:15 to 39:20).
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:15 am

jsyzdek wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:42 pm
Are you being sarcastic? because they sound awfully similar to me.

Back to the bike moving around on pavement:
https://youtu.be/BhOomvv6oNI?t=2115
Watch the 4 minutes from that point onward (35:15 to 39:20).
Thanks Yarek,

Oh, I am well aware of this phenomenon on how the bikes geometry self corrects and having what some call as a death grip on the bars hampers the bike self correcting. I'm so loose on the bars, I have to remember to tighten up on the throttle or it will begin to close or I put on the throttle lock.

Most folks have no idea if they fell off the bike it would continue going down the road until it hit something or gets to the point of traveling so slow it has to fall over for the gyroscope geometry can not keep it vertical anymore and it has to fall over.

Listen again to Rubin from Competition Accessories around timing mark 1:27 how the D404's handle on a big heavy cruiser. We know they aren't for heavy cruisers. Around timing mark 1:40 he covers the Tread in the center of the tire to improve on the tire not following cracks etc. in the road. Gusll and I, know that isn't true. Maybe on some bikes, but not on our Virago's! So, tires with center line treads for me, are taboo and I'll never purchase again.

Dunlop D404 Cruiser Tire Review at Competition Accessories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC-sEG5bSRc
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL: