Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1994 Virago 750 leaks oil after filter change

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV750? Post it here!
SteveVirago
What Virago you Own:

1994 Virago 750 leaks oil after filter change

Post by SteveVirago » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:53 pm

My 94 Virago 750 started leaking oil on the muffler several trips after changing the oil and filter with aftermarket o-rings. The smoke caught my attention. I bought and installed three Yamaha OEM o-rings to resolve the problem. I notice I'm still getting some oil weeping on the muffler underneath the cover after installing the OEM o-rings but not as much as before. Everything was clean when I installed the three OEM o-rings. The tiny o-ring on the inside bottom of the cover and the metal strip on the bottom outside of the cover are in place where they belong. The three allen screws are good and snug. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions for dealing with this? Thank you.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: 1994 Virago 750 leaks oil after filter change

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:22 pm

SteveVirago wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:53 pm
My 94 Virago 750 started leaking oil on the muffler several trips after changing the oil and filter with aftermarket o-rings. The smoke caught my attention. I bought and installed three Yamaha OEM o-rings to resolve the problem. I notice I'm still getting some oil weeping on the muffler underneath the cover after installing the OEM o-rings but not as much as before. Everything was clean when I installed the three OEM o-rings. The tiny o-ring on the inside bottom of the cover and the metal strip on the bottom outside of the cover are in place where they belong. The three allen screws are good and snug. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions for dealing with this? Thank you.
Steve,

Do you have a repair manual for this bike?

Is this '94 XV750 Virago a new acquisition (for you)?

Who's filter are you using, Brand and Number?

Did your replacement filter come with new O-rings?

Where did you obtain the three OEM O-rings from Yamaha directly?

When you replaced the filter was the filter hole facing inward toward the engine or outward toward the filter cover?

Did you use a torque wrench when you tightened the Allen Screws. Torque value used?

OIL FILTER BRANDS & O-Ring Seal Dimensions [INFO]:

viewtopic.php?t=36

OIL SEAL DIMENSIONS 2nd GENERATION 1100's [INFO]
Will be the same for your '94 XV750.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=596
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

SteveVirago
What Virago you Own:

Post by SteveVirago » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:31 pm

Located in Central VA. Purchased in July 2019. Driven 2200 miles so far. Fram CH6004 oil filter. Two Fram o-rings fit, one Fram o-ring didn't so I reused the old one. I replaced all three o-rings with Yamaha OEM parts after it leaked following an oil and filter change. Filter hole is facing outward toward cover(Clymer manual, pg 27, Picture 20). Torqued at 7.2 ft lbs. I don't like the thin o-ring near the outside of the cover, seems very thin in the groove(Clymer manual, pg 27, Picture 22). I don't see why it's leaking with the OEM o-rings.

Should I be looking at the larger crankcase cover for weeping oil since removal of the two longer allen screws bear down on that cover, too? Does anybody have good results with aftermarket brand oil filters, with three included o-rings, that fit properly? Or, do you end up buying the OEM o-rings? I would appreciate additional input. Thank you.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 am

SteveVirago wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:31 pm
Located in Central VA. Purchased in July 2019. Driven 2200 miles so far. Fram CH6004 oil filter. Two Fram o-rings fit, one Fram o-ring didn't so I reused the old one. I replaced all three o-rings with Yamaha OEM after it leaked. Filter hole is facing outward toward cover. Torqued at 7.2 ft lbs. I don't like the thin o-ring near the outside of the cover, seems very thin in the groove. I don't see any reason for it to weep oil with the OEM o-rings other than the thin o-ring that seems to fit sloppy in width in the outside groove. Is there an aftermarket filter brand in particular that Virago owners on this site lean toward? With proper fitting o-rings? Thanks.
Steve,

For awhile Fram's CH6004 filters were shipped with a larger diameter O-ring that was the smallest one (bottom O-ring). The other two O-rings weren't an issue. Are you also saying that the Yamaha OEM O-rings are also not fitting? Hmmmm! :o

After I bought a large Metric O-ring kit from Harbor Freight, Fram started shipping the correct sized O-ring (bottom one). If you still have the old O-rings you took off, put them back on. I've sent you a link for the O-ring sizes in above posting. Check them with calipers. Also, try another brand filter like Wix 24935. I've used them a few times and their O-rings fit.

Fram seems to have corrected their quality control issue and are now shipping the correct O-rings. That O-ring set from Harbor Freight is still worth getting for other O-ring issues on the bike and automotive issues. Sometimes, you will pull an O-ring off and set it down and later have an Ah $h#T moment when you can't locate it. Then days later that puppy will show up. 7.2 ft lbs. is correct. However, I've found ft. lbs. torque wrenches set that low aren't very accurate. Go with an In. lbs. torque wrench set at 86.4 In. lbs. for it will be more accurate.

Just added Info.:
1994 XV750 PLEASE HELP. MY OIL FILTER COVER IS STUCK [SOLVED]
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1057

Below is a list of filters that are suppose to fit our Virago's. Yet again, it can be a Turkey shoot:
APRILIA AP8520017
BIG A 96935
BIG A 96936
CANADIAN TIRE 27-5508-2
CARQUEST 89935
CARQUEST 89936
CHAMP P7004
EMGO 10-29100
EMGO 10-79100
HASTINGS LF583
HIFLO HF145
K & N KN-145
LUBER-FINER P7004
MASTER PARTS P-305
MOTO-GUZZI AP8520017
NAPA 4935
NAPA 4936
PUROLATOR ML16804
PUROLATOR ML16805
STP P7004
WARNER P7004
WIX 24935
YAMAHA 2H0-13440-90
YAMAHA 4X7-13440-01
YAMAHA 4X7-13440-01-00
YAMAHA 4X7-13440-90
YAMAHA 4X7-13440-90-00
ViragoJoe
;)

SteveVirago
What Virago you Own:

Post by SteveVirago » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:19 am

Update: The Yamaha OEM o-rings for the oil filter cover resolved the oil leak after the oil change. The oil filter cover area is dry and no more drips of oil underneath the bike following a ride.

However, I noticed a very small puff of smoke after riding several times further back from the oil filter cover. It looks to me like the large crankcase cover, Pic 19 on page 27 in the Clymer Manual, is weeping oil during and after rides. There are no oil puddles underneath my bike when it sits after riding.

Plan:
Looks like a pretty straight forward repair to replace this large crankcase cover gasket. Is there any need for gasket coatings (Permatex Blue 80022)? Is there anything else I need to look for or be aware of when replacing the gasket? Thank you for the input!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:46 am

SteveVirago wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:19 am
Update: The Yamaha OEM o-rings for the oil filter cover resolved the oil leak after the oil change. The oil filter cover area is dry and no more drips of oil underneath the bike following a ride.

However, I noticed a very small puff of smoke after riding several times further back from the oil filter cover. It looks to me like the large crankcase cover, Pic 19 on page 27 in the Clymer Manual, is weeping oil during and after rides. There are no oil puddles underneath my bike when it sits after riding.

Plan:
Looks like a pretty straight forward repair to replace this large crankcase cover gasket. Is there any need for gasket coatings (Permatex Blue 80022)? Is there anything else I need to look for or be aware of when replacing the gasket? Thank you for the input!
Read this Topic Posting:
Gasket leaking - dry or wet ?
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=811&p=2484&hilit=oil+leak#p2484
ViragoJoe
;)