Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

'83 XV750 wiring issues [SOLVED]

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV750? Post it here!
connordavey33
What Virago you Own: '83 XV750 Midnight

'83 XV750 wiring issues [SOLVED]

Post by connordavey33 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:01 pm

I have an '83 750 that I am in the process of converting to Cafe style. I replaced the gauge cluster with a much smaller gauge (one of those ebay led gauges) and now I'm having issues wiring up the bike so it will still turn over. I think the issue may be with one of the many relays along the line for the starter. Does anyone know a way to bypass the gauge cluster for the ignition wiring? or just bypass all of the relays?

- Turns out the problem was not in the relays, though I ended up bypassing them anyway, but with the starter button not being connected to ground. I'm still not sure where the lead it was supposed to be connected to went, but it wasn't where it was supposed to be. Solved the problem by splicing a different ground wire and now everything works as it should.
We're all out of starters, but can I interest you in a box of rocks?

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: '83 XV750 wiring issues [SOLVED]

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:06 pm

connordavey33 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:01 pm
I have an '83 750 that I am in the process of converting to Cafe style. I replaced the gauge cluster with a much smaller gauge (one of those ebay led gauges) and now I'm having issues wiring up the bike so it will still turn over. I think the issue may be with one of the many relays along the line for the starter. Does anyone know a way to bypass the gauge cluster for the ignition wiring? or just bypass all of the relays?
Quote:
I replaced the gauge cluster with a much smaller gauge (one of those ebay led gauges)
Unquote.

Did everything work prior to you incorporating this new (ebay led gauges setup)?
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

connordavey33
What Virago you Own: '83 XV750 Midnight

Re: '83 XV750 wiring issues [SOLVED]

Post by connordavey33 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:02 pm

ViragoJoe wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:06 pm
connordavey33 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:01 pm
Quote:
I replaced the gauge cluster with a much smaller gauge (one of those ebay led gauges)
Unquote.

Did everything work prior to you incorporating this new (ebay led gauges setup)?
Everything worked prior to the gauge, and I have found the problem and fixed it. At some point the ground lead on the bike side of the harness for the ignition button just vanished. I was testing leads with a multimeter and found that the button was connected to the relay on one side, and absolutely nothing on the other. I looked around inside the headlight housing and couldn't find the lead anywhere so I ended up splicing another random unused ground wire and everything is in working order now.
We're all out of starters, but can I interest you in a box of rocks?