Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1982 XV750 no spark

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV750? Post it here!
emsherer
What Virago you Own:

1982 XV750 no spark

Post by emsherer » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:30 pm

Hey guys,

I am working on a 1982 xv 750. My problem is that I have no spark going to the spark plug. The bike will turn on, and turn over. However there is No spark and consequently no running bike. The only things I know are good are the battery (reading 12.89 v) the plugs (brand new, properly gapped) and the coils, (both sets reading well on Ohms.) One of my pickup coils has no resistance reading, while the other has 148 Ohms. Not sure how to fix that, or if I tested properly. I have tried multiple TCI boxes and RIR, to no benefit. I have spliced the dutch switch. and the side stand Switch together, seeing if that would help. In not too sure how to fix the neutral switch,
but there is no light when in neutral. Any point in the right direction would be great.

Thanks
Ethan'

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: 1982 XV750 no spark

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:10 pm

emsherer wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:30 pm
Hey guys,

I am working on a 1982 xv 750. My problem is that I have no spark going to the spark plug. The bike will turn on, and turn over. However there is No spark and consequently no running bike. The only things I know are good are the battery (reading 12.89 v) the plugs (brand new, properly gapped) and the coils, (both sets reading well on Ohms.) One of my pickup coils has no resistance reading, while the other has 148 Ohms. Not sure how to fix that, or if I tested properly. I have tried multiple TCI boxes and RIR, to no benefit. I have spliced the dutch switch. and the side stand Switch together, seeing if that would help. In not too sure how to fix the neutral switch,
but there is no light when in neutral. Any point in the right direction would be great.

Thanks
Ethan'
Ethan,

This bike a new acquisition for you? Have you actually ridden it?

Is your RUN Switch in the Run Position?

Read this article:
Virago Ignition Systems
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-ignition-systems/

Are all of the CDI/TCI boxes known to be good ones?

What switch are you referring to as the Dutch Switch? Clutch switch possibly?

RIR? Regulator / Rectifier?

"One of my pickup coils has no resistance reading, while the other has 148 Ohms. Not sure how to fix that, or if I tested properly."

I suggest replacing it.

"I'm not too sure how to fix the neutral switch, but there is no light when in neutral."

You may have a burned out bulb or blown fuse. Check both. Then go after the switch.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

emsherer
What Virago you Own:

Re: 1982 XV750 no spark

Post by emsherer » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:11 pm

Hello!

Thank you for the speedy response. The bike is definitely a new acquisition. I was able to snag three of these non running Viragos and a spare engine for 250 bucks. It was a great snag, and I got one running, which I plan to turn into a street fighter/ cafe racer.

I also apologize for all of the typos, I must not have proof read properly. The Kill Switch is in the Run Position. I took the TCI out of the bike I got running, so I expect that it is functioning. By “Dutch Switch” I did mean Clutch Switch. By RIR I did mean R/R or Regulator Rectifier. I will see about replacing them with ones known to read properly. I will also check my bulbs and fuses, then report back with my findings.

I will also check out the link posted.

Thanks
Ethan