Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1994 XV750 Mounting or Lowering rear fender frame

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV750? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Mozzer
What Virago you Own:

1994 XV750 Mounting or Lowering rear fender frame

Post by Mozzer » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Hello all,
I wanted to know if anyone had lowered the rear fender/seat frame? any tips would be greatly appreciated. Could not have gotten to the point i'm at so far without the help of everyone so thank you. I wanted to know if i could bend it using a torch, or would fabricating some sort of fender strut/bracket/brace with a heavy gauge steel, similar to a Harley strut be ok? The shocks would be kept and I would periodically ride 2 up(110 lb woman). Any thoughts?

something similar to this
Attachments
xv750-bobber-yamaha-virago-by-BB-Custom-Bike-1.jpg
1994 XS750

geezyrider
What Virago you Own: XV535 1994 Virago

Re: 1994 XV750 Mounting or Lowering rear fender frame

Post by geezyrider » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:42 am

What model is it? looks to be about a 750 or better. My model is a 535 so I am not sure, but my rear fender is 2 piece and real easy to remove the rear section of the fender along with the tail light wiring. Took mine off to do some paint repair. Looks to me that lowering it might wind up with the wheel hitting underneath and maybe causing some handling kind of problem if you hit some severe bumps. Especially when riding Two Up!
May the wind be at Your Back.
And the Sun be on Your shoulder.
Don't You ever quit that Cruising.
Even when You get much older!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:54 am

Mozzer,

What's your reason for wanting to do this?!!

I have to totally agree with my friend geezyrider.

Payload numbers aren't provided for bikes like they are for passenger cars and trucks. Most bike manufacturers don't provide payload numbers. At least, I haven't see any. If you have, let us know.
By rule of thumb (big rule). Average rider weight is usually calculated with 150-200 lbs. rider. So, your passenger of (110 lbs.) is not a real factor as payload numbers go. She's light! Now, the real question is. What weight is your body placing on the bike?! Somehow, we missed that number! LOL. You are pretty much at center line of the bike and your weight will be spread evenly on the Front Forks and the Rear Shocks respectfully. Now, a 400 lbs. rider, or so, could affect the bikes geometry somewhat.

I recommend leaving well enough alone with wanting to lower that rear fender. The design engineers have taken all this in consideration when they planned on creating the bike. And how much clearance would be needed necessary with two up. I'll bet that the shocks would need to be fully compressed and made rigid to stop all upward motion to stop the tire from contacting the rear fender. By you lowering the rear fender compounds the clearance issue and will most likely hit the fender. However, the bike is yours and you can do as you wish. I would just leave well enough alone. but, that's me.

If folks start mistaking our cheekies for saddle bags, then I know, there is a definite problem!!
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

Mozzer
What Virago you Own:

Post by Mozzer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks for the Info guys!
Im at around 155 . Will take all that is said into account.
If I was going to do it would heating and bending be an option?
Thanks.
1994 XS750

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:36 pm

Mozzer wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:20 pm
Thanks for the Info guys!
Im at around 155 . Will take all that is said into account.
If I was going to do it would heating and bending be an option?
Thanks.
Weight for you and her, not an issue here.

Depending on what type of torches you have. To bend thick heavy metal will take a lot of heat to do any bending. Accuracy when bending is also critical for obvious reasons. Heating and bending heavy metal is an art. If this is your first rodeo, I'd leave it to the pros.

The question still is, why do you want to do this modification? just for cosmetics? Still not worth the trip for me!

Remember, if it doesn't go as planned. Then you will have to learn to live with it or find another frame and switch everything over. Sounds like a lot of work to me. I'd rather be in the wind riding. Riding season is short enough for me as it is. But, like I said, it's your bike. Just my 2 cents.
ViragoJoe
;)

Mozzer
What Virago you Own:

Post by Mozzer » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:01 am

Thank you Joe, I was going to chop if it went to bad, actually wouldn't want to make a wife catapult :o . Would lowering the rear shocks to 11 inch get me close? I was looking at Harley Nightster shocks , correct me if I'm wrong, I think the stock virago have 14mm upper and 10mm lower . I have another bike we ride so this one is a project.
1994 XS750

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:36 pm

Mozzer wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:01 am
Thank you Joe, I was going to chop if it went to bad, actually wouldn't want to make a wife catapult :o . Would lowering the rear shocks to 11 inch get me close? I was looking at Harley Nightster shocks , correct me if I'm wrong, I think the stock virago have 14mm upper and 10mm lower . I have another bike we ride so this one is a project.
Since, I haven't done any modifications like this myself. I'm pretty much a leave it stock and if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of guy. No idea, what would or would not work shock wise to lower it. Haven't seen to many folks doing this type of mod here. Probably, why you haven't gotten a lot of responses.
ViragoJoe
;)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:31 am

Mozzer,
Just an after thought here. Is it legal to do what you want to do with lowering the rear fender where you live. There may be regulations where you live that states specific clearances that must be adhered to to pass safety requirements. Just say'n.

You may want to check that out prior to doing anything or your bike may not see the light of day on being legal for the road. Especially, if bikes must go through an inspection process to get it registered in the State or Province where you live. Like some States in the U.S. mandate.
ViragoJoe
;)