Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1994 Yamaha Virago 750 cuts out

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV750? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

SteveVirago
What Virago you Own:

1994 Yamaha Virago 750 cuts out

Post by SteveVirago » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:19 pm

I am new to the forum. I recently bought a 94 Virago 750. It starts up with no choke and runs perfect up to about 5000 rpms and then bogs and doesn't want to rev up into the higher rpm range above 6000 rpms unless in lower gears. I live on back roads so it's not a big deal but I would like to be able to rev it up without an issue. Occasionally, I can be driving along and then it will act like its running out of gas until complete fuel starvation. I have to pull over, open the gas cap for about a minute and then it will start up without any problem.

Should I be looking at anything in particular? The gas cap looks okay. The big rubber gas cap o-ring is new as of two months ago. We put a manual petcock on it about two months ago and closed off the end of the vacuum line. The tank is clean inside. Thank you for your input!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: 1994 Yamaha Virago 750 cuts out

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:42 am

SteveVirago wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:19 pm
I am new to the forum. I recently bought a 94 Virago 750. It starts up with no choke and runs perfect up to about 5000 rpms and then bogs and doesn't want to rev up into the higher rpm range above 6000 rpms unless in lower gears. I live on back roads so it's not a big deal but I would like to be able to rev it up without an issue. Occasionally, I can be driving along and then it will act like its running out of gas until complete fuel starvation. I have to pull over, open the gas cap for about a minute and then it will start up without any problem.

Should I be looking at anything in particular? The gas cap looks okay. The big rubber gas cap o-ring is new as of two months ago. We put a manual petcock on it about two months ago and closed off the end of the vacuum line. The tank is clean inside. Thank you for your input!
Steve,
Sounds like you may be having a venting issue. Read this article on Virago Fuel Systems:
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-fuel-systems/
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

SteveVirago
What Virago you Own:

Re: 1994 Yamaha Virago 750 cuts out

Post by SteveVirago » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:14 pm

I put a new gas cap on it and a new set of plugs. I'm also running sea foam through it. This evening when I took it out for a spin with the new gas cap, it ran fine up until about 5000 rpms and then bogged and hesitated up to 7500 rpms and then fully died out like I shut the key off. When I let off the throttle, it was running on 1 cylinder and making lean pops on the other. I pulled over and it idled correctly. When I took off from idle, it ran on one cylinder for a few minutes and then both. It seems to run fine if you keep it under 5000 rpms. Once you go over that, the problems start.

The bike sat before I bought it. I rinsed the tank out thoroughly and have since checked the new petcock screen. It's clean. When I open the carb bowl screws with a white rag underneath, I don't see anything dirty coming out of the carbs.

On the one hand, it seems like fuel starvation from the tank. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the main jets are tarnished or clogged up. Thanks for the input!