1990 Virago XV750U jet setting, backfire (Bristol, U.K.) [Possible Solution by Yamgo, S/Plugs. He'll Advise]

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV750? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1990 Virago XV750U jet setting, backfire (Bristol, U.K.)

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:56 pm

Yamgo wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:53 pm
Plenum Chamber is in the center of the bike just in front of the rear tire.
Didn't have chance to have a look but so far I'm pretty lost what and where it is. I'll have a look when it will stop rain (next year :lol: - as we are in UK).
And also, my wife is so pretty she doesn't need a mirror so she doesn't have any so I'm in trouble ;) .
Lookup Virago in a Dictionary.
The guy doing timing video mentioned it means angry woman or so.

As I could see on some videos HITACHI carbs are marked with easy visible sign HITACHI but mine is not so I guess Mikuni?

And by the way:
===============================================

Yamgo,
The guy doing timing video mentioned it means angry woman or so.
Oh No, not Angry. Just the following. He read it wrong.

1. A woman regarded as noisy, scolding, or domineering.

2. A large, strong, courageous woman.

3. A woman of extraordinary stature, strength, and courage; a woman who has the robust body and masculine mind of a man; a female warrior.
my wife is so pretty she doesn't need a mirror so she doesn't have any so I'm in trouble ;) .
Lucky you! We took all the mirrors out of our house, for I keep scaring myself to often! :shock: :roll: :lol:

The JB Weld should do the job.

Click image to Enlarge:
Plenum is Circled in Red. Place a mirror under the bike just in front of the Rear tire. Trust me, you'll see it. Of course, you'll need to pop a £ or two for the the 9" mirror.
Or you'll be standing on you head. Now, that's a picture your wife will want to take :!: :P
1999 XV1100 STANDARD EXHAUST MOUNTING with Plenum Circled.png
As I could see on some videos HITACHI carbs are marked with easy visible sign HITACHI but mine is not so I guess Mikuni?
In 1988 Hitachi Carburetors were dropped from the Virago bigger bike lineups by the Yamaha Virago team and they went with Mikuni's. Reason you can't read Hitachi on them. Your XV750 is a 1990, no Hitachi Carb's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location & Bike Information.
It will aid us in assisting you!

Yamgo
What Virago you Own:

Post by Yamgo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:30 pm

Magic may happened here :lol:
I've bought spark plugs you (and internet) have advised - NGK BP7ES, set idle speed to around 1000 rpm after about 2-3 mins engine running, as it was around 1500.
Then I went for short ride. Unfortunately traffic was too busy to accelerate very often but I was able to do so couple of times and so far no misfire. I switched engine OFF about 5 times when it was "cold" and worm and no backfire...?

I have to go for longer test but I was surprised.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:08 am

Yamgo wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:30 pm
Magic may happened here :lol:
I've bought spark plugs you (and internet) have advised - NGK BP7ES, set idle speed to around 1000 rpm after about 2-3 mins engine running, as it was around 1500.
Then I went for short ride. Unfortunately traffic was too busy to accelerate very often but I was able to do so couple of times and so far no misfire. I switched engine OFF about 5 times when it was "cold" and worm and no backfire...?

I have to go for longer test but I was surprised.
Yamgo,

Sometimes it is the simple things that make all the difference. Hopefully, this is/was an easy fix for you.

Like I mentioned earlier. Misfiring and/or Backfiring can really open up a can of worms.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location & Bike Information.
It will aid us in assisting you!