Things look bleak. If anyone can donate please do. Thanks everyone. Im trying to scrape up funds..... only month to go.
Rob

81 XV750 Headlight relay (Southeast CT)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV750? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

supercub
What Virago you Own:

81 XV750 Headlight relay (Southeast CT)

Post by supercub » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:01 am

Im looking for a new headlight relay and they are discontinued, does anyone know of a replacement? Omron 3H5-00, with yellow marking. I also need a rubber holder for one.
81 XV750

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 81 XV750 Headlight relay (Southeast CT)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:04 am

supercub wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:01 am
Im looking for a new headlight relay and they are discontinued, does anyone know of a replacement? Omron 3H5-00, with yellow marking. I also need a rubber holder for one.
============

Try using the full part number on Ebay. You may find it there (used).

Go to a bicycle shop and get a used flat skinny tire tube and make a rubber holder.
If this website was helpful, please consider donating.

Remember: It's Free to use - but not free to run - make a contribution to support the site, or it may not be here after Feb., 2023!

ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

supercub
What Virago you Own:

Post by supercub » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:58 pm

After searching around for awhile and reading a bunch of Yamaha forum threads, I found one stating that if the regulator is bad, the headlight circuit will not function. I retested my relay, its functioning fine but the regulator is blown. I found a new regulator on ebay new for $30 shipped. The regulator was dangling from its harness when I brought the bike so Im assuming all of the torment that it saw must have damaged it.
81 XV750

supercub
What Virago you Own:

Post by supercub » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:01 pm

The tube trick might just work but I think I can fix the old mount by adhering the sidestand relay into the rubber with permatex ultra black. Im checking all of the electrics on the bike just to be sure its all up to snuff.
81 XV750

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:35 pm

supercub wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:58 pm
After searching around for awhile and reading a bunch of Yamaha forum threads, I found one stating that if the regulator is bad, the headlight circuit will not function. I retested my relay, its functioning fine but the regulator is blown. I found a new regulator on ebay new for $30 shipped. The regulator was dangling from its harness when I brought the bike so Im assuming all of the torment that it saw must have damaged it.
============

If the Regulator Rectifier was danging and not bolted to the bike and grounded. it will burn itself up inside.

Test the rectifier side of the reg/rec. Youtube was videos to show you how to do that. If one Diode inside shows bad then the whole reg/rec needs replacing.

Remember: It's Free to use - but not free to run - make a contribution to support the site, or it may not be here after Feb., 2023!

ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

supercub
What Virago you Own:

Post by supercub » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:44 pm

I checked it by the service manual. Its dead. It mounts to plastic part of the toolkit holder which was broken. I may have to make a better bracket for it.
81 XV750

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:09 am

supercub wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:44 pm
I checked it by the service manual. Its dead. It mounts to plastic part of the toolkit holder which was broken. I may have to make a better bracket for it.
============

Regulator Rectifiers must be, repeat, must be bolted to metal frame work to dissipate its heat. Main reason it burned up inside for it was just dangling from the wiring harness and could not dissipate its heat. It will melt the plastic part of the toolbox holder. If you held it in your hand you will get a severe burn and possibly a scar!! There are a few members here on this website that can confirm that and provide you with pictures of the outcome. Some Virago's do not have cooling fins on the Reg/Rec's and the curious that touch them get rewarded with a big surprise!

REGULATOR/RECTIFIER TROUBLE SHOOTING and TESTING [INFO] & NEW VERSION

viewtopic.php?t=772

ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL: