☆This time I personally need your help....☆
This was a tough decision to decide on. I generally stay behind the scenes keeping this site chugging along. Joe, is the one that gives out the amazing wealth of knowledge he has. I've put an amazing amount of time into the bringing together this website and not to mention have footed the bills a few times. I've kept us hacker free for a damn long time. I never ask much of you guy/gals. Only if we get in crunch time and the site needs a little help. Ive never asked for the ridiculous thousands I have seen another site ask for.. ridiculous is the perfect word. I even removed ads for those that log in, severely cutting revenue. Sites been about helping people, not making money. I feel bad actually doing this.. but I need help. I have gastroparesis brought on from diabetes(20+ years). I've been struggling with this nightmare for over 3 years. Finally diagnosed beginning this year. Look it up. Look up worst cases... that's me. Ive lost 60 lbs since January. 28 days ago the company I've worked for for many years found their dirty lil way to fire me. I was approved for up to 3 days off a week for fmla.. that really pissed them off. So illegally fired, savings drained from medical bills, bad diabetic now with no insurance. I'm in deep shit. That is politely saying it unfortunately. If any of you guys cant help please at least keep me in your thoughts. If this was wrong, me asking for help, my apologies. I'm declining in health fast, and unemployment hasn't came through yet and that in itself is a nightmare. Anyone who can, please donate to the website. This time it goes to help me. Thank you everyone. Again, my apologies for asking. I honestly don't know what to do or where to turn.
Rob *This message can be dismissed by hovering over the upper right corner of it and X should appear. click that.*
UPDATE: THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN A FEW OF YOU DONATING. THANK YOU SO MUCH, I'M LITERALLY IN TEARS AS I TYPE THIS. EVERY PENNY COUNTS. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING THE HEROES RIGHT NOW.

1990 XV750 LED bulb issue (bristol UK)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV750? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Yamgo
What Virago you Own: XV750 1990

1990 XV750 LED bulb issue (bristol UK)

Post by Yamgo » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:30 pm

Hi, I recently installed a new LED headlight bulb as the old classic was as a little candle. After installation I can see a better reflection on cars in front of me so I realised that if I have my signal ON and I press the brake, the bulb is flickering for some reason.
Any idea why?
I've checked the ground wire to the battery, removed, cleaned the bolt and added some copper grease.
All seems to work well. I’ve measured the battery (including during starting and after). All charging good. Battery is not drained or so.
The only problem I had, when I tried to remove the rectifier and I couldn’t unscrew it so I only cleaned the main connection bolt and touching place.
So I’m not sure if the LED bulb is just too sensitive to changes. The biggest problem I have of course is low RPM when the engine is cold.
I know the LED is lower consumption but mine takes about 20W and I have also installed a recording 2 cameras system and I’m planning to install a brake/tail led strip (maybe USB) so It shouldn’t be a big difference compared to the old 55W bulb.
Thanks

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Re: 1990 XV750 LED bulb issue (bristol UK)

Post by jsyzdek » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:41 am

I have almost all bulbs on my Virago swapped to LEDs (except rear turn signals and the low fuel indicator light: it's a part of the reserve circuit...) and I don't have any issues like this, so let me ask a couple of clarifying questions:

1) when the engine is not running: is the LED working fine?
2) when the engine is running (idling or faster): is the LED working fine?
3) with the engine off, is the LED operation affected by the brake light being on? (or some other action)
4) with the engine on: is the LED affected by the brake light?

I have a 20W LED up front myself. I had another one in the past and it did flicker after being in service for a while. It flickered when connected to a benchtop power supply as well, and it was just a dud. No issue with the bike.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

Yamgo

Post by Yamgo » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:37 pm

A bit of a late reaction but I'm not able to use my bike at the moment I’m afraid.
I just switched the ignition ON and it looks like Led light is affected by signals or brakes when the engine is OFF. Maybe the bulb is faulty.
If it is ON it is the same in low RPM. (as it usually is when turning and braking).

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:49 am

If you have a spare 12V battery, or a power supply, it'd be worth trying to power the LED up and see if it acts out. An adjustable power supply is a good tool because you can also observe in real time if the current draw oscillates or stays steady.

It would be worth checking is the old (halogen) bulb still works OK, or if something went completely wrong with the bike's circuitry.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

Yamgo

Post by Yamgo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:10 pm

I was on my bike today and it looks like the brake light actually doesn't affect the head light. It is more like signals. When I was waiting and pressed the brake, I didn’t see much difference but as soon as I used any side signals, Led started to play. Maybe I should go for led signal bulbs?

jsyzdek

Post by jsyzdek » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:13 pm

I wonder if you have a similar issue as the one reported here:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2366

could be a grounding issue. Some LEDs are bipolar, some will only work one way. And some will do weird stuff sometimes. But it could be that something's wrong with the turn signal(s), causing a large voltage drop at the battery, which can cause the LED to flicker.

As far as switching turn signals to LEDs: I have done it, but only in the front. Front turn signals double as parking lights, which stay on whenever ignition is on, or when the key is in "park" position. I wanted to limit the current draw during start and running and so I switched the front orange lights to LEDs. This (and other LEDs) gave me more headroom for installing extra front lights and grip heaters. However, the frequency at which the turn signals blink depends directly on the impedance of the circuit. LEDs draw less current to produce the same (or greater) amount of light, and so they have larger impedance. Switching one of the two (1-front, 2-back) bulbs in a circuit for an LED almost doubles the total impedance and so your blinkers will blink almost twice as fast. However, if you switch both front and back to LEDs, you will get the insanely fast flicker and you may destroy the relay.

So change either front, or back, but not both. I picked the front because again: they double as parking lights and that gave me more energy savings there, vs. the rear turn signals only illuminate during turns.

I did replace the parking/brake bulbs in the rear though: the parking light is brighter, and the brake is really bright and it also flashes three times each time I depress the brake (then it stays solid red).
Keep Calm and Ride On!

Yamgo

Post by Yamgo » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:55 pm

I think it is grounding issue but where? :cry:

Yamgo

Post by Yamgo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:14 pm

I had a look today what bulbs are in signal lights and they are the same as brake bulbs for some reason. Two contacts bulbs. :?:
Is that right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jsyzdek

Post by jsyzdek » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:20 pm

In the front: yes. The front turn signals double as parking (position) lights.

In the rear: those should be single-filament bulbs because they are only working as turn signals. The parking light function is shared with the brake light bulbs.
Last edited by jsyzdek on Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

Yamgo

Post by Yamgo » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:29 pm

Thanks. I didn't know that as my front signals don't come ON when I switch to parking light.

And I may find the issue with the light fickering when signals are ON. One of rear signal lights. (I hope that's it).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.