1984 XV700 Float issue (Ohio)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV700? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

capymotiv
What Virago you Own:

1984 XV700 Float issue (Ohio)

Post by capymotiv » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:28 pm

Newbie. Sorry for the ssdd. I am at wits end with these carbs. 84 700. Bought for my kid. Coated slides. I replaced everything in the carbs but can not get the floats to shut off fuel flow. As best I can tell, the front of the float is either hitting the fuel bowl, ( I have pinched them in sideways to stop rubbing), or the floats are wrong all together. Floats pass all test. I have set the float level and verified the needle is seating. Turn them over and no matter what I do, it does not turn off the fuel. About every 4 out of 5 times I pull the bowl back off, The needle is jammed or has completely fallen out. I have bent the tab and floats themselves to try to stop this but to no avail. Am I missing something? I rebuild my Mikunis constantly on "my" bikes and never had such an issue.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1984 XV700 Float issue (Ohio)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:40 pm

capymotiv wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:28 pm
Newbie. Sorry for the ssdd. I am at wits end with these carbs. 84 700. Bought for my kid. Coated slides. I replaced everything in the carbs but can not get the floats to shut off fuel flow. As best I can tell, the front of the float is either hitting the fuel bowl, ( I have pinched them in sideways to stop rubbing), or the floats are wrong all together. Floats pass all test. I have set the float level and verified the needle is seating. Turn them over and no matter what I do, it does not turn off the fuel. About every 4 out of 5 times I pull the bowl back off, The needle is jammed or has completely fallen out. I have bent the tab and floats themselves to try to stop this but to no avail. Am I missing something? I rebuild my Mikunis constantly on "my" bikes and never had such an issue.
Capy,

Read this article regarding Hitachi Carburetors if you haven't already, while I locate more information.

Virago Hitachi Carburetors

https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-hitachi-carburetors/

Okay, I'm back 2:45PM:

1985 xv700 fuel overflowing through carb (float issue) (U.S.)

https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1781
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

capymotiv
What Virago you Own:

Post by capymotiv » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:49 pm

I read both the articles before posting. The issue I kept having was when I set the carbs to the 19mm, when they were inverted to right side up, The travel on the float would was so great that the needles would fall out or come off the tab and wedge themselves. Ended up with soldering the needle spring to the tab. Works great now. I know the plunger is not being utilized now but I am hoping it works until I can find some hitachi or keins.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:58 pm

capymotiv wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:49 pm
I read both the articles before posting. The issue I kept having was when I set the carbs to the 19mm, when they were inverted to right side up, The travel on the float would was so great that the needles would fall out or come off the tab and wedge themselves. Ended up with soldering the needle spring to the tab. Works great now. I know the plunger is not being utilized now but I am hoping it works until I can find some hitachi or keins.
Capy,

Did you view the video in the 1985 XV700 Posted Topic?

Are you saying that since you soldered the needle spring to the tab fixed your issue and we should possibly close this topic and/or mark it solved?

Did you read the first paragraph for the Hitachi Carb article?

(Note: the word “carburetor” is a French word. In English it refers to the fuel mixture dispenser residing near a cylinder. However, you should be aware that the meaning of this word in the native French language is quite different. In French it means: “Don’t mess with me”.)
Can you attach pictures of how you bent the floats or are we too late to do that for you didn't take any pictures of that modification?
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

capymotiv
What Virago you Own:

Post by capymotiv » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:23 am

I am going to check and adjust the fuel level as soon as I can. I will take pics of what I did and post them asap.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:09 pm

capymotiv wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:23 am
I am going to check and adjust the fuel level as soon as I can. I will take pics of what I did and post them asap.
Capy,

Take a look at this topic posting for a 1986 XV1100. It too, has Hitachi Carburetors.

1986 XV1100 float adjustment [CLOSED]

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=368
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

capymotiv
What Virago you Own:

Post by capymotiv » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:58 pm

Well, I finally got back to the carbs and yet they still flood completely out. I have no clue what is going on with these things. Breathe threw the fuel inlet and right-side up they flow, turn them over and the needles seal every time. I have made sure nothing is touching the inside of the bowls, I have triple checked the tab to make sure it is curved like every pic I have found, I have set them 19mm to the bottom of the main boss. I have set them 15mm from the shelf. I have shook them to make sure the floats are traveling freely, I have tested the floats numerous times and found them to be fine. Every time I try to check the level with the tube, they overflow. They even overflow into the diaphragm on top. It fills the carbs completely. I have No idea what the PO has done to them. At this point the only thing I can think of is finding a different set Wish I had more info. The only thing I have noticed is fuel flow seems to slow down where it should shut off and then all of a sudden, the level starts climbing extremely fast up till it comes out the main and then the diaphragms on top. I have been cleaning and rebuilding my xvz, vmx, xj and other friends carbs for years but I am completely lost on these.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:25 pm

capymotiv wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:58 pm
Well, I finally got back to the carbs and yet they still flood completely out. I have no clue what is going on with these things. Breathe threw the fuel inlet and right-side up they flow, turn them over and the needles seal every time. I have made sure nothing is touching the inside of the bowls, I have triple checked the tab to make sure it is curved like every pic I have found, I have set them 19mm to the bottom of the main boss. I have set them 15mm from the shelf. I have shook them to make sure the floats are traveling freely, I have tested the floats numerous times and found them to be fine. Every time I try to check the level with the tube, they overflow. They even overflow into the diaphragm on top. It fills the carbs completely. I have No idea what the PO has done to them. At this point the only thing I can think of is finding a different set Wish I had more info. The only thing I have noticed is fuel flow seems to slow down where it should shut off and then all of a sudden, the level starts climbing extremely fast up till it comes out the main and then the diaphragms on top. I have been cleaning and rebuilding my xvz, vmx, xj and other friends carbs for years but I am completely lost on these.
Have you allowed for the degree tilt angle the carbs will have when the carburetors are mounted to the carburetor boots? That can throw your settings off. Thought I provided a link that discusses that. I'll have to research that if I didn't. Outside currently, however, I have a $35.00 single board computer in my garage called a Raspberry PI 3 that I can communicate on when I'm outside.

Also, check to see, if the float needles have a removable seat in the carburetors. They may need to be replaced if the carbs have them. I just don't remember.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:08 am

Capy,

I checked. The float needle seats are removable.

At time mark 7:50 he discusses the tilt angle of the carburetors on the bike when adjusting the float levels.

Virago xv750 Carburetor Float height Adjustment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XWe001Y2ms
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

capymotiv
What Virago you Own:

Post by capymotiv » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:34 pm

I caught the little rascal. It is as I thought. When the carbs are in correct position, the needles are falling out far enough to get cocked on the float tab. Managed pics this time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.