1985 xv700 fuel overflowing through carb (float issue) (U.S.)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV700? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

mechatomato
What Virago you Own:

1985 xv700 fuel overflowing through carb (float issue) (U.S.)

Post by mechatomato » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:15 pm

I have an issue where one of my carbs overflows with fuel.
The needles on each set properly, it's an issue with the floats.
I swap floats, the other carb is now the one to leak

I have each float set to 18-19mm. I have tested both in water and they both float exactly the same, no air bubbles. I shake them near my ear, I hear nothing inside. I cleaned the shafts the floats rotate on, no effect.

Another note, is it not a "slow" leak. fuel starts pouring out through the main jet where the needle is seated, and I think out of the little tiny hole by the butterfly valve. I believe this is the pilot hole, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Has anyone experienced this? How can I confirm that it is a bad float? I do not want to drop $27 on a float from ebay if it's not needed.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1985 xv700 fuel overflowing through carb (float issue)

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:23 am

mechatomato wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:15 pm
I have an issue where one of my carbs overflows with fuel.
The needles on each set properly, it's an issue with the floats.
I swap floats, the other carb is now the one to leak

I have each float set to 18-19mm. I have tested both in water and they both float exactly the same, no air bubbles. I shake them near my ear, I hear nothing inside. I cleaned the shafts the floats rotate on, no effect.

Another note, is it not a "slow" leak. fuel starts pouring out through the main jet where the needle is seated, and I think out of the little tiny hole by the butterfly valve. I believe this is the pilot hole, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Has anyone experienced this? How can I confirm that it is a bad float? I do not want to drop $27 on a float from ebay if it's not needed.
Setting Virago Carburetor Float Height.

Your Float tab may need to be adjusted:

Remember that your carburetors when on the bike are set on at an angle. Although this instructional video is for a Harley Davidson, however, the principle on how the float works is the same.

04 How to inspect and adjust float level on a carburetor. BONUS: RICH LEAN Fuel Settings explained!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6y32Gw5HK4

What state are you located in?
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!