1987 XV700 Few questions (Five Forks South Carolina)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV700? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Vendetta426
What Virago you Own: 1987 Yamaha virago 700/XV700

1987 XV700 Few questions (Five Forks South Carolina)

Post by Vendetta426 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:02 pm

i got a few questions about my bike, cause some things seem off to me

so i got a tank and the petcock is on the left of the tank(if i was sitting on the bike) and it seems the gas tube is made to go over to the right side, do i probably need to switch the fuel reader thing with the petcock?

when i press in my clutch and im in gear my bike is still not wanting to move, and also the bike likes to decide how many gears it has whenever it wants(hoping that goes away once i get the engine running). its sometimes hard to find gears

how bouncy should the bike be? cause right now my bike is more bouncy than a bouncy house, forks have long travel and i guess i need to tighten the back shocks

and also what's a decent color, gonna get repainted and me and my dad are all out of ideas on colors so suggestions would be nice.
"Is that a harley?"- My mom seeing my virago for the first time.

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Re: 1987 XV700 Few questions (Five Forks South Carolina)

Post by jsyzdek » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:32 pm

Hi
Joe and I had a long exchange (actually more than one) on suspension. You can find it under XV1100 threads. Or under suspension...
Generally, the bike was built for lighter riders, and it was meant to be cushy and ridden relatively easy. I might not be the heaviest guy, but probably bigger than a typical Japanese man, and I either carry my wife with me, or some camping gear. And I ride hard. So I went with progressive springs in the front and I wish I got tougher springs yet for sometimes I still bottom out. But it's night-and-day difference.
For the rear I also got shocks from progressive: 12" long, heavy duty springs. They are perfect. They only bottom out when I hit something really hard. Otherwise they're pretty good. That was the single most expensive upgrade I made, and the one my wife appreciates the most.
After you upgrade the suspension, especially if you do both front and rear, the bike will be a little taller, which is great if you like to lean in a little more in turns. The extra ground clearance means that you can lean further before you start scraping the pegs or your boots.

You may be fine with the springs you have, but 35y-old oil has probably broken down by now and isn't anywhere nearly as thick as it was supposed to be. You might also have issues with the seals: after all, 35y old rubber also won't be nearly as compliant as fresh. I don't know if your forks take compressed air on top or not. Mine don't, but I know that some models for a number of years, had pressurized forks.

As far as color goes: I like the way mine is: creamy color with blue/green accents, chrome and black. Light colors show dirt quickly, but they don't get that hot when you leave the bike parked in the sun.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:35 pm

Vendetta,
and also what's a decent color, gonna get repainted and me and my dad are all out of ideas on colors so suggestions would be nice.
Have you thought about PINK?! You don't see many Virago's in that color. After all Virago Motorcycles are Girls. Look it up.

But then again, being a domineering, violent, or bad-tempered woman. She may not tolerate it. So tread lightly! :shock: :roll: :lol:

Also known to be: "a woman of masculine strength or spirit; a female warrior."
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

Vendetta426
What Virago you Own: 1987 Yamaha virago 700/XV700

Post by Vendetta426 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:28 pm

Ok since im stupid i learned that oil has to get to the clutch for it to properly work right

And how the petcock does need to be changed to the other side

And also if i did pink i would get laughed out the family lol
Jsyzdek made an idea pop in my head about making my bike looking like the 2nd gen on the website's banner, if maybe joe can post a bigger picture here that would be great.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:01 am

Vendetta,
You query:
i got a few questions about my bike, cause some things seem off to me.

You are probably not alone there.

so i got a tank and the petcock is on the left of the tank(if i was sitting on the bike) and it seems the gas tube is made to go over to the right side, do i probably need to switch the fuel reader thing with the petcock?

Yup, petcock is on the left, good reason for that. Easier to switch to reserve with your left hand. So, you don't take your hand off the throttle grip. you don't want to let the throttle go and have someone drive up your tail pipe as you switch to reserve fuel.

I'm somewhat confused with what you asking here " it seems the gas tube is made to go over to the right side, do i probably need to switch the fuel reader thing with the petcock?"
What gas tube? Picture would be good here!

when i press (No) pull in my clutch and im in gear my bike is still not wanting to move, and also the bike likes to decide how many gears it has whenever it wants (hoping that goes away once i get the engine running). its sometimes hard to find gears.

If the bike has been stored for a long period of time the clutch discs can dry out and then stick tightly together. Rendering the clutch inoperable (Frozen so to speak). When the engine is running and warmed up with fresh oil and the clutch gets moistened this sometimes will free up the clutch. If it does not free up the clutch discs when the clutch is pulled in you'll have to rebuild the clutch basket assembly.

Understanding Motorcycle Clutch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhTf7cBeGcs

Tell her it is a YamaHarley. It was the first V-twin motorcycle to touch the U.S. shores in 1981. Causing Harley Davidson to panic for now they have competition at a much lower price point. They ran to the U.S. government to have tariffs put in place to stop Yamaha. The reason Yamaha engines are not exactly at what the badging says, XV1000's are 981cc's, XV1100's are really 1063cc's. Tariffs were set on engine sizes like 1000cc's and 1100cc's. That's how Yamaha got around the tariffs

When the engine isn't running it is always harder to get the gears to move correctly. Plus, there isn't any oil on them to help them move easier by lessening the friction. Here's why. Check out this animation of a motorcycle transmission:

How a motorcycle transmission works (Animation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8xnIFf4id4

Just an added note: You never tow a motorcycle. Especially your Virago. Remember it is a constant mesh transmission. As the rear wheel revolves so do gears in the transmission. The problem is, the transmission gears sit higher than the oil that is in the Crankcase. Without the engine running the oil pump can not pump oil to the transmission gears to lubricate them. No lubrication. Can you say bye bye transmission! Sure you can!

how bouncy should the bike be? cause right now my bike is more bouncy than a bouncy house, forks have long travel and i guess i need to tighten the back shocks
jsyzdek has already covered this above question.

This question above has also been covered,
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:42 am

Vendetta426 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:28 pm
Ok since im stupid i learned that oil has to get to the clutch for it to properly work right

And how the petcock does need to be changed to the other side

And also if i did pink i would get laughed out the family lol
Jsyzdek made an idea pop in my head about making my bike looking like the 2nd gen on the website's banner, if maybe joe can post a bigger picture here that would be great.
Vendetta aka Nick,
Here's the picture of the 1985 XV1000

Click Image to Enlarge
Then right click on it to same the image:
XV1000 1985 RIGHT SIDE VIEW.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL: