Things look bleak. If anyone can donate please do. Thanks everyone. Im trying to scrape up funds..... only month to go.
Rob

1985 Virago 700 Carb Issues (California)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV700? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

TimWhite117
What Virago you Own:

1985 Virago 700 Carb Issues (California)

Post by TimWhite117 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:28 pm

Howdy everyone,
I have a new to me 1985 Yamaha virago 700 in California. I bought the bike from a guy who claimed he rebuilt the carbs but never got around to finishing the bike to due getting evicted, and I am sure it was only ridden to church on Sundays as well. I got the bike back together with new fuel lines and did not look at the carbs at all. I can start and run it on the tank and regular gas, but only on at least partial choke, it won't idle without choke, and the rear cylinder is much hotter than the front. The front cylinder has really good spark and the plug looks good. I am not too familiar with motorcycle carburetors, and even more so the virago platform. Is there anything I am missing and where should I start when trying to tune this thing to run like it should? Thanks everyone in advance

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Re: 1985 Virago 700 Carb Issues (California)

Post by jsyzdek » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:36 pm

You say the front spark plug looks good, and has a good spark. How about the rear cylinder? A picture is worth a thousand words, too ;)

running hot is typically a sign of running lean, so maybe the #1 carburetor (rear is #1, front is #2, unlike in real life :lol: ) has some gunk on the jets thus sending too little fuel, and in turn making it run hot and needing choke. This would show up on the spark plug as white deposit.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

TimWhite117
What Virago you Own:

Re: 1985 Virago 700 Carb Issues (California)

Post by TimWhite117 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:11 pm

I will give the plugs another look, I think it might be the idle jet for cylinder 2, front one, as the air coming out of that pipe is room temperature until over 2500 rpm and any heat while idling is coming from the oil flow. I feel like cylinder 1 is running alright, but I have ordered a rebuild kit for both carbs as I don't trust the previous owner's word on having rebuilt it. I will pull the plugs tonight and give them another look now that it has been running.