Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Western Australia 1988 XV400

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

Re: Western Australia 1988 XV400

Post by Michelle » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:05 am

Yes. That mudguard is the very thing I'm looking for, but because it's in the USA, he wants over $60.00 US just for shipping :o so I'll keep looking.
On your advice I removed the tappet covers to check the condition of the O-rings. They seemed fine, so I just adjusted the noisy tappet (it was just the one - front cylinder intake) and reinstalled the covers with no issues. So thanks for that one :D
I'll also reinstall the rectifier come my weekend. The new carburettors (so I am told by the Seller) are "Plug n Play" (as he put it when I asked him if the installed jets were for the XV400 bike) I'll be checking them anyhow before installation.
Other than that, there is not much wrong with the bike (that I can see). Just a few missing parts, bumps and scrapes, a little rust on her chrome.
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:50 am

Yay! My new carburettors came today. I did note that they are not original Mikuni but are the Lifan Chinese knockoff ones (exactly the same but lower quality), but that's ok as I'll use those while I rebuild my old original Mikunis and then I'll have two carbie sets :D
Anyhow... Installed the new carbies today and bike fired up first time and sounded lovely. No need to re-jet as the new Lifan carbies are jetted for the 400 engine. I also found my gear shift lever was held on by a piece of wire :lol: so I took a trip to my local Auto Store and got the proper clip and fixed it (also re-greased it and added new spacer while I was at it).
Put my old (non standard) rectifier back on and made my wiring all nice and neat, and got a call from the signwriters telling me that my new side cover (battery cover) decals are ready to be picked up (I had them recreated from pictures as you can't get original ones anymore), and then I went to my local Yamaha dealer and ordered my new (original style) handlebars from Japan. I also managed to source some reproduction grips.
It's been a heck of a day, and I even had my second bike-riding lesson without falling over :D
This bike won't know itself when it's finished. Still a few bits and bobs coming via ebay. Oh! And I got that mudguard. I found one in Germany
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:20 am

Very Glad to hear everything is falling into place!!
Before you know it. You'll look down and see you're sitting on a new 1988 XV400.

Weather here is still the pits. Currently 38°F (3.3°C) and rain forecast. :( Its been a nippy April so far and one day left in it. Glad to here you have found the rest of the parts you required! :D
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:46 am

Ohhh brrrrrrr. That sounds cold, joe. Hope you can stay warm. It's the beginnings of winter here and the days (and mornings) are growing colder. In the past week I've had my fire lit a few times. Rug up my new friend :)
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates