Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Western Australia 1988 XV400

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

Western Australia 1988 XV400

Post by Michelle » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:00 am

G'day from W.A :D
I'm Michelle and I live just south of Perth. I have a 1988 XV400 Virago. A bit of a rare old bird in Australia as they were only really built for the Japanese market. I know of only around a dozen in the country but I'm sure there must be more.
I bought her off of a Lawyer some months back and I'm sure he didn't know what he had. She had been badly treated and was painted in "Fiddly Bits" red paint (and no masking tape had been used). Fuel lines were held on by twisted wire, some of her guards and trims are missing, and only today I found the gear shift mechanism was held on by a piece of wire where the proper clip had been lost, and there is a nice long well rusted scratch right along her exhaust pipes telling me she has been dropped at some speed on a road.
Though I may change her grips and handlebars to suit my own comfort, I do intend to keep her as close to original as possible. Many people tend to customise their bikes a bit, and I guess in time I will as well, but for now I'm just happy to hunt for parts online and try to get her back on the road as the great bike she once was.
As for me :D I'm on my L-Plates :o I've ridden her once and even then very badly so I belong in a nice big carpark for now. Pictured below was after I had cleaned her up a bit and resprayed her properly. Long way to go yet.
And.. ummm... parts are really hard to get in Australia, so any help would be awesome.
Click Image to Enlarge:
Tokyo Rose 002.jpg
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: Western Australia 1988 XV400

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:07 am

Hello Michelle, welcome to Virago Help.

You do indeed have a rare Virago. Parts will be harder to find. What parts exactly are you looking for? Some parts are interchangeable in the Virago Family?

Nice picture of your Virago. You've cleaned her up nicely!

The XV400 was definitely not manufactured for the U.S.A.
There could be one or two that may have made their way here.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:32 am

Michelle, other folks who had XV400 questions:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=785&p=2377#p2377

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=788&p=2380#p2380
ViragoJoe
;)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:39 am

Michelle,
Are you anywhere near Geraldton Western Australia.

I have a friend down under. He is a member here on Virago Help.

We cross emails every now and again. We're suppose to meet half way across to have a beer. That should put us right in the middle of the ocean. don't know how long I can tread water! :lol:
ViragoJoe
;)

Michelle

Re: Western Australia XV400

Post by Michelle » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:50 am

Though rare, parts for the XV535 do fit as long as you stay true to the year of build. Trouble is the cost of postage from the USA or UK.
So parts I am looking for most are.....
1. Right side engine cover as mine has rust in the chrome. Also need the oil filter cover for the same reason.
2. That rear mudguard "extension" that sits under the seat and protects the battery and electrics from water. Mine is missing.
3. The Voltage Rectifier cover. Missing. Not too sure it's the original Rectifier either.
4. Tappet cover gaskets. Need four. Front cylinder tappets are rather noisy.
5. That lamp-holder wire thingy that sits above the headlight and is bolted to where the indicators go. What does that do, anyhow?
6. The pillion seat-strap and bolts. Missing.
7. Original mirrors. Mine are aftermarket and terrible.
8. Original pipes as mine seem cobbled together from many other pipes.
9. New rear shocks as mine are rusty.
10. Original air cleaner as the aftermarket one is just not the same.
11. New foot gear-shift lever as mine is worn.

And the more I look, the more problems I find, but a week ago I did manage to source a "brand new" set of Mikuni carburettors from China :D The Seller tells me they are "plug and play" for the XV400, but I'll be having a look at the jets to be sure before installing.
And "No". I'm not a mechanic. I'm just a rather poor checkout-chick at a large Supermarket :lol: I just follow the "step by step" instructions in the Manual.
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:57 am

If you can follow the manual. You are way ahead of the game! Most don't have a manual and are working totally blind. Not a good scenario to be in. :oops:
ViragoJoe
;)

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:00 am

Yikes! The Manual was the first thing I downloaded after I had bought her. I would not have a clue without it.
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:14 am

Michelle wrote:Yikes! The Manual was the first thing I downloaded after I had bought her. I would not have a clue without it.
Hopefully, what the manual doesn't have we may have documentation that can help with your XV400. Trouble shooting and other things are similar to all Virago's. With you having a rare Virago, I too can learn somethings about XV400's through you. If you don't mind.

I'm going to review you post #5 regarding what you need and do some research.
ViragoJoe
;)

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:02 pm

Awwwww. Thank you! From what I have learned so far is that the bike is pretty much a XV535 with a 400cc engine. Also the voltage rectifier is different (I think) given the different output from the engine (electrical wise).

The XV400 was made exclusively for the Japanese market as they had some rather odd restrictions on motorbikes at the time. 400ccs was the max displacement allowed and the max speed limit in Japan was around 80 km (55mph). There is a little red light (mixed in with the indicator light and the high beam light) labelled "Speed". Took me a bit of research but I did find out it comes on when you are doing 55mph. Basically it's telling you that your at your maximum speed and should slow down and that the "engine governor" (to prevent speeding above 55mph) is now active. I'm yet to see if my bike still has that fitted. One person in another forum did post that his XV400 would not accelerate past 55mph no matter how hard he turned the throttle. So the governors are still out there on some bikes.

A small number of XV400s where shipped to the UK, but it was only about 50 bikes or so as they were not really well received, and in the late 90s a California model was produced in very small numbers and shipped to the USA as the XV400SCLX (which is the rarest of the XV400s).

No one really seems to know how many XV400s were made, and some years of production were even skipped. I wrote to Yamaha Australia and they advised me to write to Yamaha Japan, which I did asking for production numbers for each year of manufacture, but I got no response. People speculate that anywhere from 500 to 5000 were produced each year. My bike is 2NT027100, and given that Yamaha always began a series with numbers ending in "1" (example: 2NT038101 is the number given to the first XV400 produced for 1989) I know that from my bikes serial number there were at least 1000 made in 1988, though she could be the 2000th or the 3000th. I have not been able to get the beginning serial numbers for 1988.

As an example, I do have the beginning serial numbers for the 1989 XV400 models. 2NT038101 (3JB1 model) and 2NT046101 (3JB2 model) respectively. So from these numbers, anyone with an 1989 XV400 would easily be able to find out what number their bike was. If your bike's VIN (stamped on the frame) was 2NT046233 (for example), you would be able to say it was the 133rd XV400 produced for that series in 1989.

As you can see, I'm really into the history of this thing :D I just find it interesting to know this stuff. So if anyone does have the beginning series numbers for the 1988 models, I'd love to know.
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe

Re: Western Australia XV400

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:24 pm

Trouble is the cost of postage from the USA or UK.

<"2. That rear mudguard "extension" that sits under the seat and protects the battery and electrics from water. Mine is missing.">

1988 XV400 Possible Rear Fender Mud Guard Availability.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/87-00-yamaha-v ... 2970318882

<"4. Tappet cover gaskets. Need four. Front cylinder tappets are rather noisy.">

This is the part number for the Tappet Cover O-Rings: O-ring 93210-62446-00.
You can find them on line with a ruler showing their outer dimension I believe is 2.25 inches. If you can make yours round again to compare, for that is the way they are sold. If not, just pull a cover off and take it to an auto parts store and match it up with what O-rings they have. The ones that are on the internet, they want double the price + crazy shipping charges. You can get all four for around $8.00 U.S.D. Instead of upwards to $40.00 U.S.D. Also, check local hardware stores and/or plumbing shops. Well worth the trip. Also, when you remove the tappet covers to adjust the valves. You can just reinstall them with out any leakage.
ViragoJoe
;)