Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Hello there - Oil Grading - 1993 XV535 (CLOSED)

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Re: Hello there - Oil Grading - 1993 XV535

Post by TommyTurbo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:14 am

Thanks Joe. I’m planning on getting my wheels re finished at some point so I will I spent the spines when I take the wheel off. I’ll be doing to engine and final drive oils tomorrow at some point 8-)

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Post by TommyTurbo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:39 am

So I went for the Mobil 1000 15w40 and changed the oil filter, spark plugs and air filter while I was at it. I’m going to do the diff oil in the next week.

I was slightly concerned that there was oil (looked like engine oil!) in the air filter housing. This was post filter in the chamber part towards the steering rack, not the carb intake end. I know nothing about carburettors but I’m pretty certain there shouldn’t be oil in there at all. Can anyone think of a reason for this?

I took the bike out and it was faultless. Loved every minute but it was only a really short 10mile scoot to make sure everything was working!

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:59 am

TommyTurbo wrote:So I went for the Mobil 1000 15w40 and changed the oil filter, spark plugs and air filter while I was at it. I’m going to do the diff oil in the next week.

I was slightly concerned that there was oil (looked like engine oil!) in the air filter housing. This was post filter in the chamber part towards the steering rack, not the carb intake end. I know nothing about carburettors but I’m pretty certain there shouldn’t be oil in there at all. Can anyone think of a reason for this?

I took the bike out and it was faultless. Loved every minute but it was only a really short 10mile scoot to make sure everything was working!
Tom,
If the 535 is anything like the larger bikes 750's and 1100's, the crankcase breathes through the air filter housing. Sometimes oil will blow back through that hose, especially, if the crankcase is over filled. A little oil residue there is okay. However, if you have more of a gusher going on. Then there is something causing it and you need to check things out. If it is a little oil, just wipe it out with a rag, so dirt doesn't stick to it.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Post by TommyTurbo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Thanks Joe that’s eased my mind. I believe there was slightly too much oil when I drained it out. It was definitely above the sightglass and my drain pan was fuller than I’d imagined it would be.

Hopefully that’s all it was. Thanks again for all your help Joe 8-)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:01 pm

TommyTurbo wrote:Thanks Joe that’s eased my mind. I believe there was slightly too much oil when I drained it out. It was definitely above the sightglass and my drain pan was fuller than I’d imagined it would be.

Hopefully that’s all it was. Thanks again for all your help Joe 8-)

Tom,
If there was more oil than normal and above the sight glass you may have more going on there. Smell the spent oil and see if it smells like gasoline. If the petcock is not closing completely when the engine is turned off (for I believe it is vacuum actuated). Fuel will leak down to the carburetors and if the floats don't close completely fuel can seep into the cylinders and pass the rings and end up in your crankcase sump. The reason for the higher sight glass level reading that passed the top measurement mark in the oil sight glass. At that point you have no idea how much oil was really in the bike. If you have a measuring cup, measure how much oil actually came out of the bike. You may have just caught it before catastrophic damage occurred. A friend of mine wiped out his 1100 by failing to check his oil in the spring after a long winters nap. Fuel in the crankcase can cut lubrication requirements of the crank shaft bearings and destroy them. In his case, he blew the engine.

This is what some 1000 / 1100 Virago Riders have chosen to do:

DIY FUEL SHUT OFF VALVE - 1000 / 1100's
viewtopic.php?t=337

How Virago Fuel Systems Work:
Virago Fuel Systems:
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-fuel-systems/
ViragoJoe
;)

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Post by TommyTurbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:52 am

Thanks Joe, I’ll have to check again but I believe mine has a manual petcock with just ‘on’ or ‘off’ positions and a reserve switch on the handle bars.

I’ll be honest I wasn’t sure what it was for as it was ‘on’ when I bought the bike and I’ve left it on since. I’ll to and switch it to ‘off’ and make sure I switch it off every time I park the bike.

I’ll take a picture of the valve I’m talking about to make sure I’m not talking rubbish. :lol:

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Post by TommyTurbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:43 am

That’s the valve I was speaking about. It was tight and when I switched it to ‘Off’ it leaked fuel everywhere. Is this the petcock? It’s positioned towards the back of the bike under the seat near the rear swing arm. Being so low could fuel gravity feed the carbs?

Thanks.

Edit: So I think I’ve worked out that is the petcock. I’ve found a seal repair kit for it so ordered that along with a fuel filter just for the sake of it.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 am

Tom,
I'm not as familiar with the 535 as I would like to be. But, this is what I have found. I concur, that is the petcock for a 1993 535. It is definitely a manual on/off petcock only. Not activated by vacuum as some virago petcocks are. I'm not sure what model year Yamaha started having the upper fuel tank accept and store some fuel. Some 535's the upper tank was an inlet for fuel only to fill the lower frame mounted tank, however, didn't store fuel within it. If your under seat frame mounted tank is below the carburetors then the fuel pump is required to pump the fuel up hill to the carbs and would most likely rule out the fuel seeping through the carbs float valve seats. But, if you have the upper tank that stores fuel that may create enough gravity pressure to cause fuel to be pushed up hill from the lower tank thought the carb float valve seats into the cylinders, passing the piston rings and into the crankcase oil sump

If the sight glass oil level was indeed beyond the top of the sight glass window (with the false dummy tank) then the previous owner over filled the crankcase oil sump. Some just guesstimate for they don't want to get down on their hands and knees to check the sight glass. If you only have a side stand it makes checking oil level even harder for the bike isn't vertical. However, if you have a telescopic inspection mirror with a light. You can check the oil straddling the bike in a vertical position.
93-Yamaha-XV535-XV-535-Virago-gas-fuel.jpg
93-Yamaha-XV535-XV-535-Virago-gas-fuel.jpg (22.26 KiB) Viewed 292 times
93-Yamaha-XV535-XV-535-Virago-gas-fuel-_2.jpg
93-Yamaha-XV535-XV-535-Virago-gas-fuel-_2.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Here is a Telescopic Mirror with Light to view sight glass oil level from above straddling the bike:
Inspection Mirror With Light.JPG
Inspection Mirror With Light.JPG (6.4 KiB) Viewed 292 times
I have this one and use a bright flashlight (torch) shining down at the mirror to see the oil sight glass. Takes more coordination to do it this way, trust me!!
Inspection Mirror No Light.JPG
ViragoJoe
;)

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Post by TommyTurbo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks Joe. When I changed the oil yesterday I measured out the exact amount of oil when I changed it yesterday as I couldn’t get a level off the sight glass on my own, but I’ll invest in a telescopic mirror for sure.

I’m pretty sure mine holds fuel in the top tank, I could hear it sloshing around when I lifted it to change the air filter yesterday.

I suppose I’ll repair the pet cock and then monitor the level using the mirror trick, and keeping an eye on any oil in the air filter housing.

Once the petcock is repaired I should leave it in the off position when the bike isn’t being used I take it?

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:30 am

TommyTurbo wrote:Thanks Joe. When I changed the oil yesterday I measured out the exact amount of oil when I changed it yesterday as I couldn’t get a level off the sight glass on my own, but I’ll invest in a telescopic mirror for sure.

I’m pretty sure mine holds fuel in the top tank, I could hear it sloshing around when I lifted it to change the air filter yesterday.

I suppose I’ll repair the pet cock and then monitor the level using the mirror trick, and keeping an eye on any oil in the air filter housing.

Once the petcock is repaired I should leave it in the off position when the bike isn’t being used I take it?
Yes, to be on the safe side. i would turn the petcock to off after every ride. Especially, since you heard fuel sloshing around in the upper tank assembly when you replaced the air cleaner. Seems that you have the fuel system that has fuel stored within the top tank.
ViragoJoe
;)