Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Hello there - Oil Grading - 1993 XV535 (CLOSED)

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Re: Hello there - Oil Grading - 1993 XV535

Post by TommyTurbo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:45 am

The seal kit I ordered arrived today and I’ve fitted it. It was tight but I managed to get the valve out without jacking the bike up. I also changed the fuel filter since I’d drained all the fuel It made it abit easier. A quick 20 miles and the bike ran perfect with no leaks. My new inspection mirror makes checking the oil on your own easy and mine seems to be bang on between the lines so all good. I’ll leave the petcock off and monitor levels as the oil oil I took out was nearly 3.5L instead of the 2.8L the manual states. Maybe the old owner had just overfilled it, I’ll just keep my eye on it and see.

Thanks again for your help Joe. 8-)

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:25 am

TommyTurbo wrote:The seal kit I ordered arrived today and I’ve fitted it. It was tight but I managed to get the valve out without jacking the bike up. I also changed the fuel filter since I’d drained all the fuel It made it a bit easier. A quick 20 miles and the bike ran perfect with no leaks. My new inspection mirror makes checking the oil on your own easy and mine seems to be bang on between the lines so all good. I’ll leave the petcock off and monitor levels as the oil I took out was nearly 3.5L instead of the 2.8L the manual states. Maybe the old owner had just overfilled it, I’ll just keep my eye on it and see.

Thanks again for your help Joe. 8-)
Tom,
Glad to hear all is working out for you. Wow, you were 3/4 of a liter over the 2.8L factory specs. You were lucky that you didn't blow any gaskets or seals and have oil dripping from the engine, Whew!! :shock: :o

Did the 3.5L spent oil have an aroma of fuel (petrol)?
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Tom,
Found this picture on line of a modified 1993 535 less the under seat fuel tank with a up front on top fuel tank:
1993 535 Less Frame Mounted Tank.png
ViragoJoe
;)

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Post by TommyTurbo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks for the pic Joe. I wonder if that’s a tank from a larger model or aftermarket? When I filled up today mine definitely holds some fuel, but I’m not sure how much. The majority of space in the top tank of mine is taken up by the void for the air intake chamber.

I’ll check again but the spent oil just had the trademark old burnt oil smell, no petrol aroma to it. Who knows how long it’s been running over filled but hopefully not too long. It ran like a dream today and put a smile on my face. I’d like to put a few more local miles on it to make sure it’s not hiding anything serious and then I’ll be happy :mrgreen: 8-)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:05 pm

TommyTurbo wrote:Thanks for the pic Joe. I wonder if that’s a tank from a larger model or aftermarket? When I filled up today mine definitely holds some fuel, but I’m not sure how much. The majority of space in the top tank of mine is taken up by the void for the air intake chamber.

I’ll check again but the spent oil just had the trademark old burnt oil smell, no petrol aroma to it. Who knows how long it’s been running over filled but hopefully not too long. It ran like a dream today and put a smile on my face. I’d like to put a few more local miles on it to make sure it’s not hiding anything serious and then I’ll be happy :mrgreen: 8-)
Sound like you are off to a good start, for the up coming riding season. Enjoy the bike!
ViragoJoe
;)