Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Hello there - Oil Grading - 1993 XV535 (CLOSED)

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Hello there - Oil Grading - 1993 XV535 (CLOSED)

Post by TommyTurbo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Hi Guys,
I’m Tom and I passed my test in November last year. Today I put the deposit down on my first bike - An XV535.
She’s a 1993 model and only covered 15k miles. Body work has minimal rust and she started first time today when I went to view it.
I’m an engineer by trade so am handy with tools but I know next to nothing about bikes. I’m hoping this bike will allow me to do some tinkering and fettling and learn all about it.

The bike has little service history but I know it’s only covered 500 miles in the last 6 years so my first job is to give it a service and then go for a good ride out. I already have some questions regarding oil gradings so I’ll try and post them in the correct sub forums but go easy on me I’m new to bike mechanics! :shock:

Tom.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: Hello there - Oil Grading - 1993 XV535

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Hello Tom,
Welcome to Virago Help.
Congratulations on your new to you 1993 Virago 535. There are a few folks here with 535's, also. You may know that already, if you have been reading some of the posts. We are starting to get more folks with 535's like yourself on the site. That's a good thing. The more the better for us all to learn more about our Virago's. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Bikes that have been sitting for long periods of time and not maintained properly can cause issues. Lets hope, you have a good one that was well maintained.

One important thing to do first is find a service manual for your bike. Trust me, it will help you a great deal. Haynes, Clymer and/or a factory edition.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Post by TommyTurbo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks!

Yes I wasn’t sure wether it should concern me or not. The bike has been continuously MOT’d (I’m in the U.K btw) whilst it’s been kept so is definitely road worthy, and with the minimal rust I think it’s been looked after and not locked in an old barn rotting away.

Hopefully I don’t get any issues with it being clogged up hence wanting to do an oil change straight away. :)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:00 am

Tom,
Since you alluded to oil grading. Here is what we know:

OIL - EXPLAINED F.Y.I.
viewtopic.php?t=403

OIL and ZDDP - FLAT TAPPET ENGINES [INFO]
viewtopic.php?t=616

Specifications for 1981-1994 535 model
(U.S. 535 model wasn't available until 1987:)
https://www.viragohelp.com/specificatio ... ha-virago/
ViragoJoe
;)

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Post by TommyTurbo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks Joe.

I’ve bought some 15w 40 mineral oil, I saw that’s what you were using and you seem to know your stuff :lol:
I’ve even got some ZDDP additive too.
New plugs, filters and a Haynes manual are in the post too so I’ll be busy next week.

The bike was delivered today but my helmet wasn’t so I can’t go anywhere on it till tomorrow and give it a real test. She started up first time for me today and sat idling happily so it’s looking good upto now 8-)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:06 pm

TommyTurbo wrote:Thanks Joe.

I’ve bought some 15w 40 mineral oil, I saw that’s what you were using and you seem to know your stuff :lol:
I’ve even got some ZDDP additive too.
New plugs, filters and a Haynes manual are in the post too so I’ll be busy next week.

The bike was delivered today but my helmet wasn’t so I can’t go anywhere on it till tomorrow and give it a real test. She started up first time for me today and sat idling happily so it’s looking good upto now 8-)
What brand oil did you get? Just curious.
ViragoJoe
;)

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Post by TommyTurbo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:27 pm

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car- ... &0&cc5_246

I went for the old “Oil is oil” mentality and bought the motor factors own brand but thought the ZDDP additive you suggested would help.

I can take it back if you think I’m making a mistake though! :shock: :?

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:39 pm

TommyTurbo wrote:https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car- ... &0&cc5_246

I went for the old “Oil is oil” mentality and bought the motor factors own brand but thought the ZDDP additive you suggested would help.

I can take it back if you think I’m making a mistake though! :shock: :?
I'm not familiar with that brand for it looks to be for the U.K.

It is 15W40 Diesel oil and shouldn't have Moly in it. Just make sure it doesn't say anything like energy conserving, for then it has Moly in it that is bad for wet clutches.
ViragoJoe
;)

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Post by TommyTurbo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:52 pm

I’ll have a look at the bottle tomorrow. Is ‘Molly’ short for something?
Sorry for the very basic of questions. I thought I’d be able to walk into the shop and get the exact oil I needed :lol:
Mi really appreciate you getting back to me.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:06 am

TommyTurbo wrote:I’ll have a look at the bottle tomorrow. Is ‘Molly’ short for something?
Sorry for the very basic of questions. I thought I’d be able to walk into the shop and get the exact oil I needed :lol:
Mi really appreciate you getting back to me.
Molybdenum (Moly).
It is very slippery and not compatible with wet clutches. Usually 15W40 diesel oil doesn't have it, but I don't know how the U.K. formulates their oils. It may be the same world wide. All the brands in post #4 above OIL and ZDDP - FLAT TAPPET ENGINES [INFO], do not have it in the oil.

Just an added note: Most here in the U.S. think the "W" in 15W40 stands for "Weight" of the oil. It stands for "Winter". Viscosity of the oil will be at 15 in the winter at initial engine startup and go to 40 as it heats up. if it read 0-40 that means it is at 40 viscosity right at the get go. straight 40 viscosity.

Viscosity = the state of being thick, sticky, and semifluid in consistency, due to internal friction.
ViragoJoe
;)