Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Hello from eastern New Mexico

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

WaltM
What Virago you Own: 1995 Virago 1100

Hello from eastern New Mexico

Post by WaltM » Sun May 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Hey everyone, I'm glad to be here because will have lots of questions. I'm not really a experienced rider although I have ridden years ago. So I'm 65 and wanted to get back to riding a little I've been searching for a couple years for the right bike to get back on.
So I bought a XV1100 a week ago. Had to go get it about 70 miles away and what a ride. 5 mins in town and an hour on the highway and I was hooked.
I paid $900 for the bike a helmet and some saddlebags. The bike had been laid over once maybe twice it had a dent in the left air cleaner cover, missing the battery cover and a small dent in the right side of the tank but no leaks. So I spent the week messing around with it, changing oil and filter replacing a bad turn signal just minor stuff.

I do have a question hopefully someone can help. After it's warmed up and I've been riding it awhile it won't return to normal idle, it idles upwards of the 1100 rpm or higher it returns to idle if I feather the clutch. I don't have a clue.
Hey thanks for your help

geezyrider
What Virago you Own: XV535 1994 Virago

Re: Hello from eastern New Mexico

Post by geezyrider » Sun May 20, 2018 10:41 pm

welcome, I believe that 1100 rpm is okay. But I stand corrected. What town are you from? When we were full time RV'ers New Mexico was one of our favorite states to visit. Virago Joe will set you straight on the idle speed. I am also new to the forum, and Joe has set me straight several times. At 86 I am old like you and ride an xv535 Virago
May the wind be at Your Back.
And the Sun be on Your shoulder.
Don't You ever quit that Cruising.
Even when You get much older!

WaltM
What Virago you Own: 1995 Virago 1100

Post by WaltM » Sun May 20, 2018 11:02 pm

Well I hope to be still riding at 86 ( thumbs up) I live in Portales south of Clovis

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon May 21, 2018 4:51 am

WaltM wrote:I do have a question hopefully someone can help. After it's warmed up and I've been riding it awhile it won't return to normal idle, it idles upwards of the 1100 rpm or higher it returns to idle if I feather the clutch. I don't have a clue.
Hey thanks for your help
Walt,
Normal idle is between 950 to 1,100 RPM for Virago 1100's. Mine is set to 1,000 RPM. Easier to read when the indicator needle is even with the 1 on the tachometer. :D

There can be a multitude of things that can cause intermittent high idle or fluctuating idling. Lets try with the easiest first and lets hope this is the case for it will get harder to diagnose what the problem is from here. With the bike running turn the handle bars full left to the stopping point then full right to its stopping point. Did the engine RPM change in either direction? If it did, then you need to adjust your throttle cable tension. Mostly, it is too tight and needs added slack. Myself I've never heard of the RPM returning to normal by feathering the clutch, but anything is possible. Also, your throttle cable may be dry and needs oiling. There is a method on this site to do that without the use of special tools needed to do this. I'll look and place the link here. Stay tuned.

I'm back:
Thtottle Cable Free Play.jpg
Cable Oiling, Tool less method:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=588

Geezy, I also added a link to your No Oil Light post as well.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=818

Joe
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue May 22, 2018 7:33 am

geezyrider wrote:welcome, I believe that 1100 rpm is okay. But I stand corrected. What town are you from? When we were full time RV'ers New Mexico was one of our favorite states to visit. Virago Joe will set you straight on the idle speed. I am also new to the forum, and Joe has set me straight several times. At 86 I am old like you and ride an xv535 Virago
Geezy,

Idle speed for your 535 is 1,150 to 1,250 RPM's.
Specification Sheet for 535's:
https://www.viragohelp.com/specificatio ... ha-virago/

Joe
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)