Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Owen Sound Ontario

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Laufey
What Virago you Own: XV920J-R (repainted Blue at some point)

11K- serial number prefix

Owen Sound Ontario

Post by Laufey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:27 pm

Hello all. We have just been given an abandoned Virago. It is in pretty good shape considering it has been under a tarp for a number of years and in a garage the last 4 or so. I'm a little confused about the bike as the stamped numbers don't seem to match up with any published info. It has 11K-001227 stamped on the motor, the frame and the front sticker. There is a date of 11/81 on the sticker and it is badged "Virago", 920 and "Yamaha" in what seem to be the correct places. It also has the 1982 digital dash cluster. All I have been able to find are codes for that year starting with 10L. What have we got here?
Attachments
IMG_20170829_184745830.jpg

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: Owen Sound Ontario

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:23 pm

ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

Laufey

Post by Laufey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks Joe. Had seen and read that prior to posting. I'm pretty confident that it is an XV920J but the "serial" number is what is confusing me. I can find no examples that start with the 11K which ours does. There is no 17 digit VIN either so the decoding examples I have come across don't help either. Am waiting on a reply to the e-mail sent to Yamaha with the same questions, hopefully they can shed some light.

Doug

Laufey

Post by Laufey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Yamaha says that I have a 1982 XV920J-R. so the serial number appears good even if it doesn't start with 10L like the published sources say. Now all I need to do is figure out what the "R" stands for at the end of the model number.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:47 am

Laufey wrote:Yamaha says that I have a 1982 XV920J-R. so the serial number appears good even if it doesn't start with 10Y like the published sources say. Now all I need to do is figure out what the "R" stands for at the end of the model number.
Might be reasonable to contact them again for that information. "RJ" was used for chain drive your picture shows shaft drive. There was someone else that posted here that had a unique almost a one of a kind Virago. If I come across it I'll add the link.
ViragoJoe
;)

Laufey

Post by Laufey » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:56 pm

I might do that. I knew that RJ designated chain drive so the model would have been XV920JRJ since the first J designates the year of manufacture (1982 thanks to the info found within this forum.). Just not sure what a single R after the model year means. Will see what I come up with.

Doug

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:46 am

Laufey wrote:I might do that. I knew that RJ designated chain drive so the model would have been XV920JRJ since the first J designates the year of manufacture (1982 thanks to the info found within this forum.). Just not sure what a single R after the model year means. Will see what I come up with.

Doug
Yamaha also used "J" for 1997 to even confuse us more. XV1100SHC designates Special, 1996, California. Why they didn't indicate a country code is anyone’s guess.
U.S., Europe, Australia and Canada have little differences in the bikes appearance. When Virago's are sold over Country Boarders makes it even more difficult to know what you have. Yamaha's identification on these bikes is not clear cut. Haynes and Clymer manuals aren't clear. Even for my bike and I know what I have.
Joe
ViragoJoe
;)

Laufey

Post by Laufey » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Reply from Yamaha says that the "R" in XV920J-R designates the bikes colour - Red.
Wait a minute, the pic is a blue one !! A little checking around the gas filler and on the plastic battery cover show traces of RED under SILVER under BLUE. Evidently the bike was repainted (and completely dismantled) at some point over the past 35 years. I guess that gives a little bit more information for those looking to figure out model codes.

Next piece of good news is that ITS ALIVE !!!! Dealer had a couple of fuel tank seals in stock so we were able to reconnect the fuel syste. (air filter on order) and hook it up to ourJeep for power and lo & behold, it started and ran. Absolutely fantastic since it hadn't been run for at least 8 years. Looks like it's a keeper !

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:10 am

Doug,
Glad to hear the good news that she fired up.
When the bike was stored was all the fuel drained from the tank and carbs?
Check the inside of the tank for rust and sediment. If there are rust particulars they can flake off and clog the fuel system. Check the fuel filter to see if there is any debris in it. Hopefully, all is good. Wouldn't want you to get miles from home and have her stop on you. They're not fun to push. Give her a good going over.

Yup, she was painted for sure. The final drive to the rear wheel is white metal not blue like your picture shows. Below is what it looks like:
1982 Virago 920.jpeg
Joe
ViragoJoe
;)

Laufey

SERIAL NUMBER MYSTERY SOLVED

Post by Laufey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:43 pm

SERIAL NUMBER MYSTERY SOLVED!!!!! All published sources show the XV 920J numbers starting at 10L while mine starts 11K. Finally found a REALLY GOOD breakdown of serial number codes, assignment areas, models, colours and other neat stuff here:

http://davesbikes.weebly.com/uploads/4/ ... _codes.pdf

It shows that the 11K code were for XV 920J models for the CANADIAN market (which I am in). That's why Yamaha Canada said my number was good.

Don't know if you have this referenced somewhere (I couldn't find it) but if you don't you should.

Thought others might be helped by it.

Doug