Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Hello from Toronto - Steelcase

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Steelcase
Platinum Star Member
Platinum Star Member
What Virago you Own:

Hello from Toronto - Steelcase

Post by Steelcase » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi all,
We're new to the site here and just wanted to properly introduce ourselves, me and my son.
I'm a long time rider and somehow my interest in bikes has taken hold in my young son.
He's 13 and has been longing to get a Virago that he might one day fix up and ride.
A couple of weeks ago he bought with his own money, a dead, neglected, rusty 83 Virago 920, shaft drive with lots of miles (kilometres are on the speedo here in the Great White North) on it.
I know it is a lot of bike for a first time rider and I suspect that this will not be the bike he first uses to learn to ride. It is a project bike; a bike that he can experiment with, improve on, and build some mechanical skills.
It looks salvageable and is only missing a shift lever and a couple of covers.
His goals for this bike are to a) bring her back to life....and b) do some tasteful mods that will change its look more towards a cafe racer than a cruiser. While budget and knowledge will undoubtedly impede his progress, I'm sure that with his keen interest and the kind help from those who visit here, he'll figure out how to get thru the challenging bits.
Thank you to all those who have posted their problems and solutions for us to learn from. Having this site as a resource is a such a help.
The photo is as she was found, forgotten in a trailer.
Steelcase
virago 1.jpg

choppin
Platinum Star Member
Platinum Star Member
What Virago you Own: 1982 XV 920
2004 XL 883 Sportster
1984 XV 700

Re: Hello from Toronto - Steelcase

Post by choppin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:32 am

Steelcase wrote:Hi all,
We're new to the site here and just wanted to properly introduce ourselves, me and my son.
I'm a long time rider and somehow my interest in bikes has taken hold in my young son.
He's 13 and has been longing to get a Virago that he might one day fix up and ride.
A couple of weeks ago he bought with his own money, a dead, neglected, rusty 83 Virago 920, shaft drive with lots of miles (kilometres are on the speedo here in the Great White North) on it.
I know it is a lot of bike for a first time rider and I suspect that this will not be the bike he first uses to learn to ride. It is a project bike; a bike that he can experiment with, improve on, and build some mechanical skills.
It looks salvageable and is only missing a shift lever and a couple of covers.
His goals for this bike are to a) bring her back to life....and b) do some tasteful mods that will change its look more towards a cafe racer than a cruiser. While budget and knowledge will undoubtedly impede his progress, I'm sure that with his keen interest and the kind help from those who visit here, he'll figure out how to get thru the challenging bits.
Thank you to all those who have posted their problems and solutions for us to learn from. Having this site as a resource is a such a help.
The photo is as she was found, forgotten in a trailer.
Steelcase
virago 1.jpg
Great bike for your son to work on and build as his own. The Virago's are easy to work on except for the carbs. The starter system is a marginal design but can be upgraded to the 2nd gen. starter easily. I'm sure that you and your son will find this forum helpful. First thing, buy or down load a service/repair manual, it will make things much easier. Also you can check what parts are still available for your bike check the www.partzilla.com web site. Welcome

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: Hello from Toronto - Steelcase

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:50 am

Steelcase,
Welcome to Virago Help.

Here you will find several articles listed under Dr. Piston. One of the great Virago guru's. Click on the link below and scroll down to the Dr. Piston archives:
https://www.viragohelp.com/dr-piston-archives/

Also, you will find information from the old Virago Owners Club that has disbanded awhile ago, however, their information has been incorporated here. Click on link below and scroll down to their archives:
https://www.viragohelp.com/voc-archives ... ners-club/

Feel free to browse around in the forums. You and your son will find a plethora of information here. There are several knowledgeable individuals that visit here that can help you out as well. Canadian is also spoken here, eh!

Keep us informed on how your restoration is going.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)