Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Hello from North Yorkshire, UK

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!
jonno51
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV 1100

Hello from North Yorkshire, UK

Post by jonno51 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:03 pm

Hello all,

Joined today after buying an 1100, which will be delivered next week. Had an 1100 about 20 years ago, but since then I've mainly had sportsbikes or tourers apart from a year when I had a VN800 Drifter as a second bike.

The bike I've bought has done 60k miles but is in good condition. I'll be doing all the usual checks before I take it out (fluids, pads, battery charge etc) although with the weather here "taking it out" could mean March next year.
I do a lot of my own work on my bikes so I'm looking forward to a simple bike with no fuel injection, no liquid cooling and no fairings.
Based on my recollections of the last XV, I'll definitely be changing the fork oil and putting progressive springs in, as well as installing some Ricor Intiminators (cartridge emulators). As luck would have it I have a pair of 38mm ones from another bike that I can use.

No similar site exists in the UK for Virago owners, which is why I am here.I look forward to along and happy association

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: Hello from North Yorkshire, UK

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:39 pm

Hello Jonno,
Welcome to Virago Help. Glad you're here. Hopefully, we can help you in some way, as well as, you helping us.

Post some pictures, we'd like to see your bike and you on it if you like.

Joe
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: It's a 1995 XV1100. And my dad has a 1996 XV535 :-)

Post by jsyzdek » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:33 pm

1995 XV1100
I just started a new thread on the topic and found this now. So I see that the main recommendation for the springs is to go progressive. The thing is that with a relatively heavy bike, the soft part of the spring gets used up with just the bike itself. I've had good luck with straight springs in my past bikes and I'm wondering if anyone has tried such springs, and if yes, what kind of spring constant you went with and what was the outcome (just right, too soft, too stiff).
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:29 am

jsyzdek wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:33 pm
1995 XV1100
I just started a new thread on the topic and found this now. So I see that the main recommendation for the springs is to go progressive. The thing is that with a relatively heavy bike, the soft part of the spring gets used up with just the bike itself. I've had good luck with straight springs in my past bikes and I'm wondering if anyone has tried such springs, and if yes, what kind of spring constant you went with and what was the outcome (just right, too soft, too stiff).

"I've had good luck with straight springs in my past bikes and I'm wondering if anyone has tried such springs, and if yes, what kind of spring constant you went with and what was the outcome (just right, too soft, too stiff)."

Don't compare your newly acquired Virago with other bikes you've had. Bike geometries are different. Some bike engineers hit things right on the money others do not. I believe the engineer that designed the front forks for the larger Virago's miss calculated and made them too mushy with straight springs. Progressive springs have corrected all the issues I had with the standard straight springs. Place your Virago on the center stand. Take a marker and place a small line at the rubber dust cover. Place a jack under the engine with a block of wood between jack and engine. Jack up the bike. You will see how much preload the forks have. Then with the bike on side stand alone. Up right the bike while saddling it. Sit down with minimal pressure on the floor with your feet and have someone draw another line at the dust cover. Place bike on the center stand again and jack up the bike at the engine. You will be shocked how much travel there is with the standard springs. Change to progressive springs, do the same thing and see the difference. Big difference in travel. You'll thank me later.

The Virago straight springs coils are too close together from the jump. With added weight they become even closer. The wire and push back is way to soft. Progressive Springs have a heavier wire and the coils are not consistent regarding the space between each coil. Bike handling is better and firmer especially when cornering. As for the floor boards you mentioned in one of your other posts. These Progressive Springs should also help with that. Folks always forget. Floor boards were and meant for larger cruisers for comfort. Virago's are mid range cruisers and weren't really designed for wide floor boards. Have I ever laid the bike over to scrap a foot peg on the ground. Sure I have, glad they fold up or I would have downed the bike.

Ever ride the tail of the dragon or seen videos of folks riding it. Most of the bikes that go off the road are cruisers with floor boards. Large cruisers aren't meant for the tail of the dragon. Made for open roads without tight curves.

If you still have chicken strips on your tires, I suggest you clean them off. Not doing so may have your Kister meeting the road.
ViragoJoe
;)

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: It's a 1995 XV1100. And my dad has a 1996 XV535 :-)

Post by jsyzdek » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:12 pm

1995 XV1100
Joe, I really appreciate your thorough reply. You have addressed all my doubts. I'm gonna order the springs next week when I come back home.

The chicken strips are only about 1/4" wide, but it still bothers me that they're there. The floor boards I have, aren't all that wide and they do give in a bit, probably about an inch up on the outside edge. They are ground away a bit by now, too. With extra ground clearance thanks to beefier springs I should be fine.

The only question I have remaining is the amount of fork oil I should put in, and whether I should measure the level with the springs in, or out. I don't think my bike has the air valves in the fork, not sure if that affects the amount of oil required. I remember reading on the topic of fork oil a few years back, and how the fact that a thicker material of the spring affects the amount of oil that should be poured in because the spring just takes up more volume. It also means that putting the spring in one way or another (the tighter wound up or down) also affects things. If you have any recommendations on that, I'm all ears. I definitely don't want to blow the seals and learn the proper fill level the hard way.

I live in California, but I have driven the dragon in a car when I travelled to TN for work. I would drive there around 11pm and do a few round trips until I got myself sick, and then drove back to Knoxville to my hotel. It's just prohibitively expensive to rent a bike, and it's hard to pack all the safety gear on the plane. That stuff is bulky and heavy. But we do have a lot of twisties on the West Coast, too, including but not limited to the Skyline Blvd (Hwy 35) and La Honda drive (Hwy 84), and some others. I do take my SV650 when I want to hit'em hard, but when I want to go somewhere with my lovely wife, I take the Virago. It's super comfy and I'm surprised how much I like it. Now I took it all the way south on Hwy 1 along the cost to Southern California. Will be back home Friday and I'll get to upgrading and servicing the fork. I also need to address the fuel sensor/reserve switch/fuel pump issue. That's another topic though.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:01 pm

You have a couple posting topics regarding suspension crossing each other. but, we'll work through it.

Here's the Topic where I provided you with the amount of fork oil needed for your 1995 XV1100.
Also, the type of fork oil Yamaha recommends may shock you, however, much cheaper than the fork oils that are offered from fork oil manufacturers.

Here's your other post below click the link

1995 XV1100 suspension upgrades? See my post (ViragoJoe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:25 am)
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1135
ViragoJoe
;)