Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

My bike is parked for now!

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

linyoest
Diamond Star Member
Diamond Star Member
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago 1100 Special

Re: My bike is parked for now!

Post by linyoest » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks Rob.
~Linda
1996 Virago 1100 Special

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:25 am

Hello Linda,
Welcome back! Glad to hear you are on the mend. Gee, you are really recovering fast. Took my wife a really long time to get all her movement back after fracturing her shoulder. I've heard fractures can be worse than a break at times. Non the less, it is working for her now. Glad to hear you are almost there too. Just keep up with your home exercises and before you know it that small pain will disappear and your range of motion will be at 100%.

Got to thinking about you the other day. I have fuel shut off valve near my fuel pump. So, when I stop the bike, I turn off the fuel. The only thing between you and the crankcase getting gas into it to mix with the oil, are the carburetor floats. Eventually, one of those floats may stick. Especially, when the bike is on the side stand. The floats are cocked and may not close fully. Until you do this, keep a close eye on your oil level, for if it increases you are taking on gas in the oil, not good for engine bearings. A friend of mine wiped out his Virago 1100 Engine, due to this issue. So, be vigilant. These engines aren't cheap to replace. Well worth the cost of a shut off valve around $4.00 bucks at most lawn equipment shops.

http://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic. ... p=667#p667

Also, tell Chris, if he decides to cut the fuel line with the webbing like I did. To tape it first and then cut the fuel line in the middle of the tape, or the webbing will fray and the hose under it is bright red. The taping prior to cutting will stop it from fraying. Hope, this helps

Joe
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

Rob
Administrator
Administrator
What Virago you Own: Unable to ride due to health issues...

Post by Rob » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:10 am

I had to install cut offs on the xv750 I had as well. Gas in the oil is not only bad on the bearings but it soaks into the clutch plates and affects them long term. At least I think this was the reason I ended up having clutch issues until I installed a clutch kit.
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:25 pm

Rob,
That is indeed another issue that can affect the Virago's internals.
ViragoJoe
;)

pmprogrammer
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member
What Virago you Own: XV920TRJ - What's a TRJ?
It's an XV920J that's been Transformed into an XV920RJ.

Post by pmprogrammer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:54 pm

So ViragoJoe, earlier in this post you mentioned you had swapped out regular bulbs for LED type...can you share where you found them?

Thanks,
PM
XV920TRJ
What's a TRJ?

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:06 am

pmprogrammer wrote:So ViragoJoe, earlier in this post you mentioned you had swapped out regular bulbs for LED type...can you share where you found them?

Thanks,
PM
Hello PM,
Welcome to Virago Help site.

I'm assuming you are talking about the Head Light Bulb. I got it from Amazon. Here's the description: H4 6000K 24W 9003 HB2 Motorcycle Motorbike COB LED Headlamp Bulb Kit For Harley Bike Cruiser Bobber Chopper. They have come down in price since the time I purchased mine. It is a tight fit, however, with time and patients and moving wires about you'll get it in. The bulb has a (COB) Chip On Board. The fan is to keep that chip cool. The bulb itself heat wise is cool. Now you can place your hand right on the headlight glass without leaving burnt skin on the glass. They are considerably cooler than the old Halogen bulbs. I carry my old halogen bulb as a spare. Lord knows new technology can go South. However, you will be amazed how much brighter it is over the incandescent Halogen bulb. No need for an additional light bar that some folks put on to light up the surrounding area around the front of the bike.

As for the LED tail light bulbs. They can be gotten just about anywhere. If you decide to get them. Get the RED LED's they show up better than the white. With any colored lens, that is the color of the LED's needed. If you decide to use them in your T/signals, you will need to add wire wound load resisters, for the LED's don't draw enough power to get the T/signal flasher to work properly.
ViragoJoe
;)