Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

My bike is parked for now!

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

linyoest
Diamond Star Member
Diamond Star Member
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago 1100 Special

My bike is parked for now!

Post by linyoest » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:54 pm

Well, I'm off to a painful beginning to summer. Still doing some tweaking on my '96 Virago and, in the meantime, took my 1300 VTX to Alabama on vacation for Memorial Day. Long story short, I lost it on a slow, left turn, landed on my shoulder and broke my shoulder blade (scapula) :cry: I start physical therapy tomorrow.

~L
~Linda
1996 Virago 1100 Special

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: My bike is parked for now!

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:05 am

linyoest wrote:Well, I'm off to a painful beginning to summer. Still doing some tweaking on my '96 Virago and, in the meantime, took my 1300 VTX to Alabama on vacation for Memorial Day. Long story short, I lost it on a slow, left turn, landed on my shoulder and broke my shoulder blade (scapula) :cry: I start physical therapy tomorrow.

~L
Linda,
really sorry to hear of your misfortune. :o Hope you mend fast. Keep us posted on your progress. My wife had a fractured shoulder last year. So, I know what you are going to be going trough in physical therapy. Recover as fast as you can . . . it is riding season. Good luck with the physical therapy!

Joe
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:08 pm

Linda,
How'd your first day of therapy go?
ViragoJoe
;)

linyoest
Diamond Star Member
Diamond Star Member

Post by linyoest » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:39 am

Hi Joe. My PT is going slow!!! But then, I've only been twice, so maybe I'm being a little impatient. lol

Really bummed that I can't ride, too. Our 16 year old took the basic rider's course and got his driver's license and motorcycle endorsement last week. My husband got my 500 Shadow running for him to ride, and here I am sitting on the sidelines! Still too much pain to ride with my hubby yet. Hoping this pain subsides soon. It's a lot worse now than it was the first two weeks.

~Linda
~Linda
1996 Virago 1100 Special

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:52 am

Hi Linda,
Glad you are on the rode to recovery. It will take a little time to get you back in the saddle again. My wife's fracture was suppose to be worse than a break and would take her longer to mend. She was dealing with the pain issue at the beginning as well. Over time with your physical therapy it will lesson as you get your range of motion back. Follow what they tell you in PT and you will be back riding soon.

Glad to hear your 16 year old got his license and endorsement. I know what it is like sitting when you see everyone else out riding. When I first got my Virago I had no helmet, no class scheduled for the endorsement. My one daughter's boyfriend had to ride it home for me. Summer was pretty much gone. So, I had to let the bike sit until the following summer which seemed like forever. I began riding in 1965. Didn't have a bike for 4 decades. Then in 2008 spotted my 1996 Virago and the rest is history.
Joe
ViragoJoe
;)

linyoest
Diamond Star Member
Diamond Star Member

Post by linyoest » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:56 pm

Well in the meantime we are getting the Virago fixed up. Chris is cleaning up the carbs, replacing the carb manifold boots, and replacing the throttle cable, and replace turn signals. I also want to replace or repair a damaged light bar. I'm not a big fan of the one that's on there, but Chris says I really need to keep it because it will add so much more light at night.

Once my son has more riding experience, I will probably let him try the Virago. His dream bike is actually the older CB750 or cafe racer. It will be interesting to see what he really wants after he's had some time riding. He's never even ridden a dirt bike, so he's very new to all this.
~Linda
1996 Virago 1100 Special

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:11 am

linyoest wrote:Well in the meantime we are getting the Virago fixed up. Chris is cleaning up the carbs, replacing the carb manifold boots, and replacing the throttle cable, and replace turn signals. I also want to replace or repair a damaged light bar. I'm not a big fan of the one that's on there, but Chris says I really need to keep it because it will add so much more light at night.

Once my son has more riding experience, I will probably let him try the Virago. His dream bike is actually the older CB750 or cafe racer. It will be interesting to see what he really wants after he's had some time riding. He's never even ridden a dirt bike, so he's very new to all this.
Myself, I stay away from anything that adds current draw to the Virago. Our charging system can only support around 21 amps.

Head light (low beam) amps 4.6
Running lights .59 X 4 = 2.36
Brake lights when applied 2.10 X 2 = 4.20
To charge battery 3
Total 14.16 amps

The below Stator Information was provided by My friend Marty a Virago guru. Who has forgotten more about Viragoś than Iĺl ever know.
Click on below image to make larger:
ALTERNATOR_INFO_10-30-2015[1].png
Not to forget to mention instrument bulbs, coils, and fuel pump draw to run the bike.
Depending on the size of the bulbs in the light bar may put you over what the charging system can provide. Some folks also use heated gear on cold days and not think what it will do to the charging system. I don't, just bundle up. To save on current I went with an LED Head Light Bulb (Special one). Only 24 watts or 2 amps current draw. Considerably brighter than the standard Halogen Bulb. Much cooler as well. Now you can put your hand on the head light front glass without burning skin off! Also replaced rear tail light bulbs with LED's to lessen current draw and make tail light brighter (use red LED bulbs).
LED BULB DIMENSIONS VIRAGO.jpg

Also, place a battery monitor on your bike to monitor the current.
What you see here is with just the key in the on position with the standard Halogen Bulb. When running there will be two more lit LEDs the last one of the two being green. All is good! If to the left of the green under charging. If right of the green over charging. A bike can start with a dead stator and battery supplies all the power. You get several miles from home and come to a complete stop. Cuz you had no way of knowing that the system wasn't charging. The Battery monitor takes out all of the guess work on what the charging system is doing. If you get one. Mount it where it is not directly facing you. Those LED's are bright although they automagically dim at night.
BATTERY MONITOR SWITCH PANEL IMG_0297A.jpg
Battery monitor meter is made by Kuryakyn around $40.00 dollars. Well worth it.

The black box with switches I made from Radio Shack parts. They are still in business, however, open stores are hard to find. But, with a little research you can find them. You and Chris may want to rethink that light bar scenario. Remember whatever you do, we are still free to make choices. Just do some research on the charging system and go from there. Notice when you are starting the bike. The head light turns off. That was done by design. That starter needs all the amps it can muster to start that 1063cc (1100) engine. So, the head light gets turned off when the start button is pressed. Gives the starter 4.6 more amps to play with so to speak.

As for your son and the Virago. The bike does have a lot of low end torque. When I first got mine and twisted the throttle I was more than surprised and changed my pants later.

Hope this helps.
Joe
ViragoJoe
;)

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:45 am

Hello Linda,
Haven't heard from you in awhile. How's the shoulder coming along?

Joe
ViragoJoe
;)

linyoest
Diamond Star Member
Diamond Star Member

Post by linyoest » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:52 pm

Hey Joe,

Sorry I have not been on here in awhile. I finished my physical therapy Thursday and the shoulder is feeling really good. Little pain in the rotor cuff, but not a lot. Range of motion is nearly 100% with very little pain. I am still working on regaining strength, but even that is almost normal now. Haven't ridden yet, since I was just released from PT on Thursday.

Chris is working on my Virago now. Last couple days he's cleaned up the carbs and replaced the boots. Will be replacing the throttle cable and also putting on new handlebar. In the meantime, I will probably ride my Shadow when my son isn't on it. We just started letting him ride by himself to work and to the Y.

Thanks for the info on the light bar. I have never liked them anyway and don't really want them on there. I am going to look into the LEDs you mentioned.

Well I hope you are having a good summer. Talk to you later.
~Linda
1996 Virago 1100 Special

Rob
Administrator
Administrator
What Virago you Own: Unable to ride due to health issues...

Post by Rob » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:53 pm

Glad to hear you are almost healed up. At least there is still some summer left to ride ;)
Peace.
Rob
If this website was helpful please consider donating to help keep this site here for future Virago owners. :idea: ;) To donate using PayPal click HERE
If you are looking for service manuals for working on a Yamaha Virago we have them available for download HERE