1984 Virago XV1000 (Calgary, Alberta Canada) (INTRO)

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ksaumure
What Virago you Own: 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000
Completely 100% stock and all original
Currently undergoing minor daily restoration

1984 Virago XV1000 (Calgary, Alberta Canada) (INTRO)

Post by ksaumure » Fri May 21, 2021 11:43 am

Hey everyone -

Back into the bike scene after a few years of inactivity.

Long story short, rode a lot back in the 80's with a Navy buddy. We bought our bikes on the same day in the early spring of 1984. I bought a spanky-new FJ1100 and Tom bought the Virago 1000. We gave each other the second key to our bikes and parked them close together in the designated motorcycle parking lot close to where our ship was docked. The agreement was whoever got to the lot first at the end of the workday got the pick of the two. A few years later, we were posted to different ships and lost touch. I got rid of the FJ1100 and tried a bunch of different bikes over the years eventually losing interest.

I'm a builder and need to keep my mind and hands busy. The idea of a restoring a bike had been rolling around in my mind so I started thinking about Tom's Virago. I knew that I wanted that bike more than the FJ1100 so after several months of research, I found a clean, mostly original and classic plated '84 Virago 1000 in neighbouring British Columbia and brought it home to Calgary. The bike had 53,000kms (33,000 miles) when I picked it up.

I spent about 2 months poring over the bike mechanically and only missed the upper rubber shock mounts when the mechanic did the out-of-province inspection. Fixing that, it was registered and plated in my name without restriction and the last few OEM/NOS parts were repaired and replaced.

It's still a work-in-progress, but then again most bikes are. That's half the fun. The plan is to drive it as it is now, enjoy it then collect any minor parts that are still missing, buy all new fasteners and then do a full frame up restoration back to the way it was when it rolled out of the showroom in 1984.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1984 Virago 1000
100% Stock and all original
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1984 Virago XV1000 (Calgary, Alberta Canada)

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri May 21, 2021 12:35 pm

Ken,

Welcome to Virago Help.

Nice looking 1984 XV1000 Virago!
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

ksaumure
What Virago you Own: 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000
Completely 100% stock and all original
Currently undergoing minor daily restoration

Post by ksaumure » Fri May 21, 2021 8:14 pm

Thanks Joe

Thanks so much for making this forum a success. I've browsed around and looked over a lot of the comments and it's good stuff. I haven't wrenched on the Virago in a long time but so far it's all coming back to me.

Cheers,

Ken
1984 Virago 1000
100% Stock and all original
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Sat May 22, 2021 12:02 pm

Awesome job Ken!!! :D
Keep Calm and Ride On!

tr6bobnf
What Virago you Own: 1999 Virago 1100

Post by tr6bobnf » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:44 pm

Hi Ken:
Just acknowledging your post and pic for the record and thought I'd briefly tell the mutual story of our bikes to the Forum.
To Forum Members: This is an example of how incredibly valuable this Forum is. I never knew Ken until he saw my post here requesting help with pics to help fix my horn switch. Well, Ken replied with said pics and we've been back and forth ever since via e-mail swapping Virago stories. Interestingly, Ken has occasional business in St. John's, NL and I'm in Paradise, in the general metro St. John's area so we hooked up. He's been to my place and we worked on my Virago, he had a couple rides on her and we did a BBQ. Ken's knowledge of the big Viragos is extensive and he's taught me a lot about my own bike. I'm a better Brit sports car wrench than motorcycle jock and Ken's been my go to buddy for the bike. Best thing about these Forums is meeting new, like-minded buddies. I was corresponding with a number of guys on a Triumph TR6 forum and with two guys in particular with identical, white TR6's. One has been here twice and him and his wife visited with us, and went out on the bay whale and iceberg watching and we keep in touch and the other guy happened to move here from Ontario for work and is now my next door neighbor and a buddy for life. I really enjoy reading all the other stories on here and someday hope to be able to contribute any knowledge I gain as I learn about my own bike. Thanks to all members for being part of this great forum and to Virago Joe for keeping it going. Pics of the two money pits!
Cheers,
Bob
'99 Virago 1100
'76 Triumph TR6
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New member from Newfoundland, Canada. Near mint 1999 Virago 1100.
Cheers,
Bob

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:22 pm

I have to second that sentiment. I've been in touch with Ken myself, ever since I bought the rear luggage rack from him. I sure hope he'll stop by my place when he drives through California so that we can go for a ride together :)
Keep Calm and Ride On!