Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Sunny Scotland 1989 XV750 Electrical Issues

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Burzum
What Virago you Own:

Sunny Scotland 1989 XV750 Electrical Issues

Post by Burzum » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi.
My bike is XV750. The engine number puts it at an 89 plate.
It is an American importn with unristricted carbs.
Slightly moded with straight bars and Jardine pipes. But not working at the mo, electrical issues :(
Attachments
WP_20190420_14_55_05_Pro.jpg

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: Sunny Scotland 1989 XV750 Electrical Issues

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Burzum wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:25 pm
Hi.
My bike is XV750. The engine number puts it at an 89 plate.
It is an American import with unrestricted carbs.
Slightly modified with straight bars and Jardine pipes. But not working at the moment, electrical issues :(
Burz,

What seems to be the affliction with the electrical system?
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

Burzum
What Virago you Own:

Post by Burzum » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi.
I were out on a run on Sunday when she started running on one cylinder. No popping, spluttering or anything of the sorts. I couldn't stop straight away, on a busy road with no layby. After about another three mile the bike shut down. Electrics still on but no life. Had the AA out to see if they could get her going but no luck. She would not turn over. He powered straight to the starter, that just span and did not engage. The bike never missed on first start, always turned over. Now when i turn her on and press the starter the head light just dims. Not sound, clicking or anything at all?

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:48 pm

Burzum wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:18 pm
Hi.
I was out on a run on Sunday when she started running on one cylinder. No popping, sputtering or anything of the sorts. I couldn't stop straight away, on a busy road with no layby. After about another three miles the bike shut down. Electrics still on but no life. Had the AA out to see if they could get her going but no luck. She would not turn over. He powered straight to the starter, that just spun and did not engage. The bike never missed on first start, always turned over. Now when i turn her on and press the starter the head light just dims. No sound, clicking or anything at all?

Burz,
Read the Ignition article below:

And hopefully, you haven't smoked your Starter Solenoid and/or Starter Motor with prolonged starting.

When you press the starter button the headlight should go out totally not dim. It is suppose to do that to save on energy to provide the Solenoid and Starter with every amp the battery can provide. The headlight pulls between 4.59 and 5 amps respectfully. So, there are 5 extra amps going to the Solenoid and Starter to start the bike when the headlight goes off. 750cc batteries are 12 volt, 16 Amp Hour, with approximately Cold Crank Amps (CCA) of 175 to 200 at 0° F for 30 seconds.

If the starter spun with power put directly to it. Then chances are your solenoid is toast, or it is not getting the required current down to activate the Solenoid and then the Starter. You may have a blown fuse. See below for fuse usage and location:

Click Image to Enlarge:
FUSES AND LOCATIONS.jpg
Here's the order of succession to start the bike.
1. pressing the starter button kills the headlight and provides low amperage 12 volt current to a relay that activates the solenoid (another relay of sorts).

2. The solenoid slams back to throw the idler gear assembly into the fly wheel gear and at that point within the solenoid with its full rearward movement closes contacts to supply high amperage voltage to the starter to start the bike.

I know clear as mud!

Virago Ignition Systems
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-ignition-systems/

"Prolonged Hard Starting (Cranking) " Catastrophic Affects - Virago 1100 [INFO.]
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=833

If the fuse isn't blown, then get back to me, for there is something else you can try.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)