1982 XV750 New guy, old bike! (Wisconsin)

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

BreadPlus
What Virago you Own:

1982 XV750 New guy, old bike! (Wisconsin)

Post by BreadPlus » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:45 pm

I traded a junky car of mine for my "new" Virago. Built in '82 as the title says, it needs a starter and a set of keys.

It looks really cool but I'm new to bikes in general and feel that this would be a bad starting place. I'm not one to give up though, so pointers would be appreciated.

Model is XV750 shaft drive, with optional bags. I think the bags were an option. The plate is expired and not in my name, I just don't feel like blurring it out.

Click Images to Enlarge and Correct Orientation
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GDad
What Virago you Own: 1991 Virago XV1100
1996 Virago XV250
1983 Virago XV500

Re: 1982 XV750 New guy, old bike! (Wisconsin)

Post by GDad » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:01 pm

Welcome

Lots of knowledge here and posts, just ask and most active guys/girls will help if they can. Looks like a great trade lol! Its got potential if all it needs is a starter. keys are optional.... I had to put a hidden hotwire toggle on my 1100 then I found the keys a week later....

good luck

G

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1982 XV750 New guy, old bike! (Wisconsin)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:15 am

BreadPlus wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:45 pm
I traded a junky car of mine for my "new" Virago. Built in '82 as the title says, it needs a starter and a set of keys.

It looks really cool but I'm new to bikes in general and feel that this would be a bad starting place. I'm not one to give up though, so pointers would be appreciated.

Model is XV750 shaft drive, with optional bags. I think the bags were an option. The plate is expired and not in my name, I just don't feel like blurring it out.

Click Images to Enlarge and Correct Orientation
BreadPlus,

Welcome.

First thing is get a repair manual for the bike. We have electronic copies on this site that can be downloaded.

The manual will be the most important tool in your tool box. Except for J.I.S. screwdrivers.

Secondly, you asked for pointers:

Well, those screw heads that look to be Philip head screws. Trust me here, THEY ARE NOT! Do not try to remove them with a Phillips screwdriver. You'll only rip out the centers of the screws. Japanese use what is called J.I.S screws (Japan Industry Standard). They can be torqued pretty tight when using a J.I.S screwdriver. Phillips will cam out and chew up the center of the J.I.S. screws. Replacements are hard to find. So, use the correct screwdriver or suffer the consequences!

JIS Vs Phillips Screwdrivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgW2q4w20kk

Phillips Screwdriver vs JIS Screwdriver Visual Comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SSLsJNgn4M

J.I.S. screwdrivers are a little pricey, but well worth the investment!!

Next. Look for rust accumulation. Not on the outside of the bike, but on the inside. Open the fuel cap, of course, you'll need keys to do that. This is going to be your first challenge with this bike, keys. A lock Smith can probably open it. Replacement Ignition Switch and Fuel Tank Cap may be found on the internet with keys.

Depending how much rust, if any, is in the tank may or may not be a show stopper. They can be cleaned and coated to protect from further rusting. Rust particles can break off and travel into your bikes fuel lines and carburetors. They may need to be ultrasonically cleaned to get grime, crud, and any rust out of all the jet orifices and fuel passages within them.

Their is an oil Sight Glass on the left side of the bike near the shifter. Place the bike on the center stand and see if there is any oil still in the bike. You don't have to buy Oil that says Motorcycle Specific. Way to expensive to be paying just for a label that says that. Get a good Diesel Oil 15W40. I use Shell's Rotella 15W40 commercial oil. It contains ZDDP (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphates) for Flat Tappet Engines that your Virago happens to be.

OIL and ZDDP - FLAT TAPPET ENGINES [INFO]

https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=616

Reason I use the Commercial Diesel Oil 15W40 rather than Synthetic or Synthetic Blends. Yup, Synthetic can take more of a pounding and resist shearing by gears squeezing it to extreme pressures for longer periods than commercial grade, and will last for several thousand miles before needing to be changed. Just remember this fact.

Oil gets dirty and adds to engine wear. So, I can preform 3 oil changes with Commercial grade 15W40 for the price of one bottle of Synthetic 15W40.

So, when my oil starts to turn to a grayish / Black it gets changed.

OIL COLOR [INFO.]

https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1921

How do you know that the bike needs a starter, if you don't have keys? There are other things that can cause a starter not to work. Poor wire connects, bad starter relay and more, so don't rule it out just yet.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

Yamaha Virago manuals for download. Left Side Panel
or Click this Link:
https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1722