☆This time I personally need your help....☆
This was a tough decision to decide on. I generally stay behind the scenes keeping this site chugging along. Joe, is the one that gives out the amazing wealth of knowledge he has. I've put an amazing amount of time into the bringing together this website and not to mention have footed the bills a few times. I've kept us hacker free for a damn long time. I never ask much of you guy/gals. Only if we get in crunch time and the site needs a little help. Ive never asked for the ridiculous thousands I have seen another site ask for.. ridiculous is the perfect word. I even removed ads for those that log in, severely cutting revenue. Sites been about helping people, not making money. I feel bad actually doing this.. but I need help. I have gastroparesis brought on from diabetes(20+ years). I've been struggling with this nightmare for over 3 years. Finally diagnosed beginning this year. Look it up. Look up worst cases... that's me. Ive lost 60 lbs since January. 28 days ago the company I've worked for for many years found their dirty lil way to fire me. I was approved for up to 3 days off a week for fmla.. that really pissed them off. So illegally fired, savings drained from medical bills, bad diabetic now with no insurance. I'm in deep shit. That is politely saying it unfortunately. If any of you guys cant help please at least keep me in your thoughts. If this was wrong, me asking for help, my apologies. I'm declining in health fast, and unemployment hasn't came through yet and that in itself is a nightmare. Anyone who can, please donate to the website. This time it goes to help me. Thank you everyone. Again, my apologies for asking. I honestly don't know what to do or where to turn.
Rob *This message can be dismissed by hovering over the upper right corner of it and X should appear. click that.*
UPDATE: THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN A FEW OF YOU DONATING. THANK YOU SO MUCH, I'M LITERALLY IN TEARS AS I TYPE THIS. EVERY PENNY COUNTS. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING THE HEROES RIGHT NOW.

Getting back on two wheels…

Tell us a little about you, and of course... about your bike!!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

marines0341
What Virago you Own: 1984 XV700 Virago

Getting back on two wheels…

Post by marines0341 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:42 am

Howdy y’all! My name is Jerry, and I’m from near Ft. Stewart, GA, USA. It’s been a long while since I’ve owned a bike or even ridden; and truthfully, if not for my amazing bride Shy, I probably still wouldn’t have a bike at all. When we met in ‘08 I had a Harley-Davidson Sportster XL1200C, and we loved riding and did so often. However, the economy being what it was then, I couldn’t afford the bill and had to let the bike go. We’ve not had a bike since.

Jump to September last year. I asked my bride what she would like for her birthday, and she said that she wanted to learn to ride. I thought she was kidding me, but she assured me that she was serious, so the search for an appropriate bike began. I knew that she wanted a cruiser type bike, so we began at the dealerships (Harley and Indian). The problem we were having is Shy is 5’3” and we weren’t find anything that fit her properly.

Next, I turned to the inter-webs. I searched for lists of best motorcycles for smaller riders, and for lists of the best used bikes. After cross referencing old magazine articles, lists and forums the one that kept popping up is the Yamaha Virago! Armed with this new information, we were ready to find an appropriate bike and we did! We purchased a 1984 Yamaha XV700 Virago!
895D651D-2319-4A18-9BE1-1A00EA935B92.jpeg
099C0DA7-1071-40A8-A7E3-BFE14D4701C8.jpeg
8648D691-6C93-43E7-A881-AABD66245B8B.jpeg
The bike had been relegated to the back burner, but I’ve made the time to wrench on it more here recently and will be sharing progress soon! First, I’ve got to go through the carbs and get it running and on the road!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
—Jerry

“A long ride is the answer to your questions you will soon forget.”
—Anonymous

faffi
What Virago you Own: 1982 XV750 with XV1100 engine, Seca rear wheel, XT600Z shock, Seca 650 fuel tank

Re: Getting back on two wheels…

Post by faffi » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:15 am

Welcome! Lucky man to have a woman that wants to ride 8-)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a motorcycle.

waspanman
What Virago you Own: 1995 535 1996 750

Post by waspanman » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:01 pm

Wow, you have a tall wife, mine is only just over 5' 1" and also has a 750 though it's a 96 model, not her, the bike.
Welcome to the friendliest forum I know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:05 pm

waspanman wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:01 pm
it's a 96 model, not her, the bike
:lol:
Made my day!!!

My wife is 4'10". Yeah. I think a 50cc moped is about as big as she may be able to ride :) or a minibike :) She does want to learn though, so when I finally find some time, I'll probably think about something for her...
When I get around to restoring that 50cc Yamaha Champ (property of my old neighbor), maybe I can have her try it before I hand it over to its proper owner.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:07 pm

marines0341 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:42 am
Howdy y’all! My name is Jerry, and I’m from near Ft. Stewart, GA, USA.
Welcome to the family :)
Keep Calm and Ride On!

marines0341
What Virago you Own: 1984 XV700 Virago

Post by marines0341 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:50 pm

I didn’t realize my bride was so tall :lol: thanks for the warm welcome!
—Jerry

“A long ride is the answer to your questions you will soon forget.”
—Anonymous