Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

Only firing on front cylinder XV535 - Closed

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV250? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Nabzy
What Virago you Own: Xv535

Only firing on front cylinder XV535 - Closed

Post by Nabzy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi all
Have a 535 that is only firing on front .checked plugs,swapped coil leads and caps around still firing on front only .noticed the vent pipes if I cover the front one the bike dies however if I blow gently down the rear pipe the rear cylinder kicks in for a short time .any help much appreciated.

geezyrider
What Virago you Own: XV535 1994 Virago

Re: Only firing on front cylinder XV535 - Closed

Post by geezyrider » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:09 am

Are you saying that the plug is not firing, or that you are not getting any output from the tail pipe? If the valves on that cylinder could be so far out of adjustment that the are not closing all the way.
May the wind be at Your Back.
And the Sun be on Your shoulder.
Don't You ever quit that Cruising.
Even when You get much older!

geezyrider
What Virago you Own: XV535 1994 Virago

Post by geezyrider » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:20 am

Uh, disregard my last post. If the valves were not closing you should still get air movement out of the tail pipe unless the piston rings were totally worn out. My only other guess would be the ECB, (Electronic Control Board) or stator. if you have a manual there is a way to check to ECB and control board.
May the wind be at Your Back.
And the Sun be on Your shoulder.
Don't You ever quit that Cruising.
Even when You get much older!

Nabzy

Post by Nabzy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:03 am

Cheers mate
Bike was running but started missing ,got progressively worse.plugs are sparking even when swapped coils and power supply wires, so definitely carbs will try cleaning and praying to the gods of ineptitude to give me a break.

Nabzy

Post by Nabzy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Alright all
Turns out I had sticky float valves, they have been cleaned. Bike has new mot as of sat,still popping and just realised I am missing one baffle.Will this make a big difference to running.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Nabzy wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:09 pm
Alright all
Turns out I had sticky float valves, they have been cleaned. Bike has new mot as of sat,still popping and just realized I am missing one baffle.Will this make a big difference to running.
So, what is the new motification as of Saturday? Suggestion, Get the bike running perfectly before you make any more motifications. Other wise, you won't know which is causing the issue you are having. Then, it becomes trial and error to fix it. Long process!

Yes, uneven exhaust gas pressures can affect running and performance. I'm assuming you have after market pipes.

Most after market pipes require carburetor re jetting. If you have after market pipes. Contact the manufacturing for suggested jets for the carburetors and what to do about the missing baffle. Previous owner may have just placed on the after market exhaust and didn't re-jet the carburetors.

DRAG PIPES or NO DRAG PIPES!! [INFO.]
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=922

One of the reasons I prefer leaving my exhaust alone. Sometimes you just can't get them to run like it did with stock exhaust. Yamaha already resolved the issues with the stock exhaust system. Why compound the problem by changing to aftermarket exhaust. Understand, I do like the sound of aftermarket exhausts. But, not some of the head aches associated with them. I'd rather be on the road than tinkering with the bike in the garage. Riding season is short enough as it is! :roll:

Running on one cylinder issue.

Read this article:
Virago Ignition Systems:
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-ignition-systems/
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
;)

Nabzy

Post by Nabzy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:05 am

Hi the mot is a government check of road worthiness .we need 1every year on vehicles older than 3years unless classed as classic or vintage then they become exempt.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:22 am

Nabzy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:05 am
Hi the mot is a government check of road worthiness .we need 1every year on vehicles older than 3years unless classed as classic or vintage then they become exempt.
So, what exactly do they do and did you pass?

Is it a pass or fail road worthiness test for the bike only?

Would running on one cylinder disqualify you from passing?

What criteria is consider to pass or fail the bike?
ViragoJoe
;)

TommyTurbo
What Virago you Own:

Post by TommyTurbo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:48 pm

ViragoJoe wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:22 am
Nabzy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:05 am
So, what exactly do they do and did you pass?

Is it a pass or fail road worthiness test for the bike only?

Would running on one cylinder disqualify you from passing?

What criteria is consider to pass or fail the bike?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -at-an-mot

Gives you an idea on what is checked on a UK MOT. I’m. Or sure if running on one cylinder would be picked up and warrant a fail. It’s a test of road worthiness.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:55 am

Nabzy,
Here in the U.S. there are State DMV's (Department of Motor Vehicles) that require similar requirements prior to issuing new license registrations. Then there are others States that don't care if you have to push your bike down the road if that is what you consider riding a motorcycle. They just issue a license and don't care if your bike runs or not. They just issue it and the cash register goes "Cha Ching"! Instant revenue in hand, for whatever.

Now, for where you are. Do you also have to pay for each time the bike is inspected for road worthiness? "Cha Ching!" If that is the case. Slow down and get your bike running as it should. Why feed the cash register?! Use that $$$ to get your bike purring. Okay, so maybe you can't ride this year. Use the time to get it running for next year. There is a reason that one cylinder isn't lighting off.

Does it have compression?
Does the Cylinder get Spark?
Is it getting Fuel?
Is it getting air?

Have you fixed the baffle missing issue? If you haven't that could be your problem. You need some back pressure for the bike to run properly.

Due to the fact we haven't received a response from Nabzy since July 19th. We are closing this post.
ViragoJoe
;)