☆This time I personally need your help....☆
This was a tough decision to decide on. I generally stay behind the scenes keeping this site chugging along. Joe, is the one that gives out the amazing wealth of knowledge he has. I've put an amazing amount of time into the bringing together this website and not to mention have footed the bills a few times. I've kept us hacker free for a damn long time. I never ask much of you guy/gals. Only if we get in crunch time and the site needs a little help. Ive never asked for the ridiculous thousands I have seen another site ask for.. ridiculous is the perfect word. I even removed ads for those that log in, severely cutting revenue. Sites been about helping people, not making money. I feel bad actually doing this.. but I need help. I have gastroparesis brought on from diabetes(20+ years). I've been struggling with this nightmare for over 3 years. Finally diagnosed beginning this year. Look it up. Look up worst cases... that's me. Ive lost 60 lbs since January. 28 days ago the company I've worked for for many years found their dirty lil way to fire me. I was approved for up to 3 days off a week for fmla.. that really pissed them off. So illegally fired, savings drained from medical bills, bad diabetic now with no insurance. I'm in deep shit. That is politely saying it unfortunately. If any of you guys cant help please at least keep me in your thoughts. If this was wrong, me asking for help, my apologies. I'm declining in health fast, and unemployment hasn't came through yet and that in itself is a nightmare. Anyone who can, please donate to the website. This time it goes to help me. Thank you everyone. Again, my apologies for asking. I honestly don't know what to do or where to turn.
Rob *This message can be dismissed by hovering over the upper right corner of it and X should appear. click that.*
UPDATE: THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN A FEW OF YOU DONATING. THANK YOU SO MUCH, I'M LITERALLY IN TEARS AS I TYPE THIS. EVERY PENNY COUNTS. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING THE HEROES RIGHT NOW.

1987 XV535 completely dead? (Arlington Tx) (SOLVED)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV250? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Crackjack535
What Virago you Own:

1987 XV535 completely dead? (Arlington Tx) (SOLVED)

Post by Crackjack535 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:12 pm

1987 Virago 535 spends more time on a trickle charger in the garage than on the road, but yesterday I started it up just to cycle fresh gas through the carbs. It started okay and ran fine for about 10 minutes.

Since there’s no petcock, I disconnected power to the fuel pump to let it burn off remaining fuel in the carbs.
As expected it began to sputter after a few minutes without fuel supply and eventually died.

Just to be sure the carbs were were really empty, I attempted to restart but was surprised there was barely enough power to turn the motor over and the headlight was very dim. So after a few attempts, I turned off the key and let it it sit on the charger. But even after an hour charge it wouldn’t start. The light flickered and starter gave only half a crank before everything went dark. No headlight, signals or even neutral light.

So I disconnected the battery, put it on a charger and went to bed.

This morning the battery charger indicated fully charged so I reinstalled the battery and hoped for the best. But still, no power. I fiddled with the ignition switch, kickstand switch and double checked battery connections but still nothing.

Did I blow a fuse? Short a solenoid? Fry the starter? Any ideas?

Thanks
1987 Virago 535

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1987 XV535 completely dead? (Arlington Tx) (SOLVED)

Post by ViragoJoe » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:51 am

Crackjack535 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:12 pm
1987 Virago 535 spends more time on a trickle charger in the garage than on the road, but yesterday I started it up just to cycle fresh gas through the carbs. It started okay and ran fine for about 10 minutes.

Since there’s no petcock, I disconnected power to the fuel pump to let it burn off remaining fuel in the carbs.
As expected it began to sputter after a few minutes without fuel supply and eventually died.

Just to be sure the carbs were were really empty, I attempted to restart but was surprised there was barely enough power to turn the motor over and the headlight was very dim. So after a few attempts, I turned off the key and let it it sit on the charger. But even after an hour charge it wouldn’t start. The light flickered and starter gave only half a crank before everything went dark. No headlight, signals or even neutral light.

So I disconnected the battery, put it on a charger and went to bed.

This morning the battery charger indicated fully charged so I reinstalled the battery and hoped for the best. But still, no power. I fiddled with the ignition switch, kickstand switch and double checked battery connections but still nothing.

Did I blow a fuse? Short a solenoid? Fry the starter? Any ideas?

Thanks
============

crackjack,

You didn't mention how old your battery is and if it was a wet cell or AGM type.

Motorcycle batteries usually last 3 to 6 years depending how they are taken care of.

Prior to blaming anything else being the problem at this point. Take your battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested. Usually a free service. Batteries freshly taken off a charger will indicate 13+ volts know as a surface charge. After the battery has rested a few hours and voltage taken with a multi-meter will be 12.6 to be considered fully charged. Here's the kicker. Although the battery shows the correct voltage as fully charged. It just can't muster the Amps needed to start the bike for battery internal reasons (internal shorts). Reason for the load test. The load test will indicate if the battery is healthy, or not, Amperage wise.

Hopefully, you battery charger is 2.0 Amps or less. 750ma chargers are the best to use. Always keep the charger on the battery after every ride. I had a battery last 13 seasons prior to giving up the electronic ghost to the electronic genie in the sky. During winter months battery was kept on a 750ma charger in the basement. It was a Yuasa AGM battery.

Re: 1996 XV1100 Yuasa Battery Life Span - Update

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1684&p=6850&hilit= ... life#p6850

Read this article:
Virago Battery:
app.php/virago-battery?sid=70a68ece3796 ... 1a3ae0bb5a

Also, add your bike information to your profile.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

Crackjack535
What Virago you Own:

Re: 1987 XV535 completely dead? (Arlington Tx) (SOLVED)

Post by Crackjack535 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:14 pm

Joe, thanks for your reply.

The battery is an AGM that’s not quite 2 years old.

Upon further inspection I found I did blow the main 20 amp fuse. I attempted to install a replacement fuse but it started to arc even before completely plugged in even without a key in the ignition. Considering other factors such as the previously dimming headlight, I wondered if my regulator/rectifier had gone bad/shorted out. I unplugged the r/r and installed the new fuse. Afterwards the lights came on full brightness!
I subsequently replaced the r/r and things seem back to normal!
1987 Virago 535