1987 XV535 Reed switch location (U.K.) (Solved)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV250? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

oldsalt45
What Virago you Own: XV535 1987 US import

1987 XV535 Reed switch location (U.K.) (Solved)

Post by oldsalt45 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:27 pm

Daft question which I apologies for, but does anyone know where about's the reed switch is located, trying to find an issue with my XV535 1987 US import by checking the wiring as to eliminate that as the cause, but the reed switch is being elusive.
many thanks in advance
Andy

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1987 XV535 Reed switch location (U.K.) (Solved)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:31 pm

oldsalt45 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:27 pm
Daft question which I apologies for, but does anyone know where about's the reed switch is located, trying to find an issue with my XV535 1987 US import by checking the wiring as to eliminate that as the cause, but the reed switch is being elusive.
many thanks in advance
Andy
I looked at the Wiring diagram for your 1987 XV535. The Reed Switch is located in your Bikes Speedometer.

Reed switch which measures driving distance and auto cancels your Turn Signals if you forget to turn them off yourself.

Flashers:
When you click on the link below, scroll down to "Flasher auto-cancellation"
https://yamaha-virago.blogspot.com/2018 ... shers.html

Not sure, if it is a serviceable replacement item or if it only comes in the speedometer assembly itself. You'll need to research that, if you need a new one.

Do you have a Repair Manual for your XV535?
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

Yamaha Virago manuals for download. Left Side Panel
or Click this Link:
https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1722

oldsalt45

Post by oldsalt45 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:16 pm

I am trying to check the continuity of the white/green wire to make sure there are no open circuits on any of the wires.

Yes I have the glymer manual which wiring diagram shows the reed relay from one connector of the switch via the safety relay and to earth on the other connector.

However there is no text that I have found in the manual detailing where the said reed switch is located or what its purpose is.

I have also looked at a lot of parts diagrams searching for the said reed relay. its a process of elimination to track down a fault on my bike that proving to be difficult, fix one thing and another appears.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:20 pm

oldsalt45 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:16 pm
I am trying to check the continuity of the white/green wire to make sure there are no open circuits on any of the wires.

Yes I have the Clymer manual which wiring diagram shows the reed relay from one connector of the switch via the safety relay and to earth on the other connector.

However there is no text that I have found in the manual detailing where the said reed switch is located or what its purpose is.

I have also looked at a lot of parts diagrams searching for the said reed relay. its a process of elimination to track down a fault on my bike that proving to be difficult, fix one thing and another appears.
Oldsalt,

Look two posts above this one. I was still editing that post when you posted this one.

Reed Switch function is explained there.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

or Click this Link:

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:27 pm

Wiring Diagram for your 1987 XV535 from Haynes Manual:

Click Image to Enlarge:
87_88_us_XV535.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

or Click this Link:

oldsalt45

Post by oldsalt45 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:13 pm

Many thanks for your help much appreciated,

Andy