1995 XV535 Won't Turn Over, No lights (Washington DC)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV250? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Viciousalicious
What Virago you Own: XV535 1995 Virago

1995 XV535 Won't Turn Over, No lights (Washington DC)

Post by Viciousalicious » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:54 am

I've got a 535 that's pretty much a weekend rider. Only things I've really had to replace were the sparkplugs, an old battery, and a fuel-pump that died on me. Cars I can fix, but I'm a newbie when it comes to bikes.

Not long ago I was just taking a stroll and I just lost all power to the bike, I thought gas was out but I knew I refilled it recently. I just wasn't getting any throttle at all. I pulled over. Tried to start it, turned over a few times but I got nothing. It was a similar case when my fuel pump died the first time. So I figured maybe it was a cheap part that died on me but the pump was priming so I assumed it was working.

Anyway, I put it back in the garage until I could get back to working on it again. Kept it charged as I usually do. Now it's showing more symptoms. Normally when I turn the key, my headlights come on, but there's nothing. Only the neutral light is on. If I hit the on-switch, I'd normally hear the pump start to prime, but not even the slightest noise. Also, I kept hearing a clicking noise and the neutral light was gently flickering in timing with the clicks. I pinpointed it to what I learned was the fuel pump relay. I replaced it with an OEM one. After that, I tried the same process again. Turned the key, no headlights. Put the on-switch. No clicking anymore. But the fuel pump still isn't priming. And in both scenarios the bike made zero effort to turn.

I'm at a loss here. I dug around a bit and someone said it could be the starter solenoid. Pretty sure it's the original, but I'm curious if that could cause all these issues.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1995 XV535 Won't Turn Over, No lights (Washington DC)

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:35 pm

Viciousalicious wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:54 am
I've got a 535 that's pretty much a weekend rider. Only things I've really had to replace were the sparkplugs, an old battery, and a fuel-pump that died on me. Cars I can fix, but I'm a newbie when it comes to bikes.

Not long ago I was just taking a stroll and I just lost all power to the bike, I thought gas was out but I knew I refilled it recently. I just wasn't getting any throttle at all. I pulled over. Tried to start it, turned over a few times but I got nothing. It was a similar case when my fuel pump died the first time. So I figured maybe it was a cheap part that died on me but the pump was priming so I assumed it was working.

Anyway, I put it back in the garage until I could get back to working on it again. Kept it charged as I usually do. Now it's showing more symptoms. Normally when I turn the key, my headlights come on, but there's nothing. Only the neutral light is on. If I hit the on-switch, I'd normally hear the pump start to prime, but not even the slightest noise. Also, I kept hearing a clicking noise and the neutral light was gently flickering in timing with the clicks. I pinpointed it to what I learned was the fuel pump relay. I replaced it with an OEM one. After that, I tried the same process again. Turned the key, no headlights. Put the on-switch. No clicking anymore. But the fuel pump still isn't priming. And in both scenarios the bike made zero effort to turn.

I'm at a loss here. I dug around a bit and someone said it could be the starter solenoid. Pretty sure it's the original, but I'm curious if that could cause all these issues.
=======================

Vic,
Sounds more like a grounding issue then anything else.

Try this.
Take the battery right out of the bike.
Wire Bush the battery terminals with the Screws out. Next, wire brush both the positive and Negative eyelets to a nice clean shine, both sides. Then follow the Negative lead to where it fastens to the frame or engine. Then wire brush that eyelet to a nice shine, both sides.. Also, clean to where it mounts to frame and/or engine.

Let us know if that works.

If it doesn't. Then we'll have more questions for you.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

Viciousalicious

Post by Viciousalicious » Fri May 06, 2022 11:22 am

Update: Sorry for the delay, took some time for me to actually get to work on it.

I've done all you asked. I cleaned the terminals and eyelets although they weren't in bad condition to begin with. As well as the grounding portion (which is surprisingly hard to get to). Made sure the battery was charged, and then tried to start the bike again. Still no dice. Fuel pump still isn't priming and I'm hearing a clicking noise like before. Still not bothering to crank either.

I didn't notice before (because i was working in daylight) that my front blinkers were blinking in time with the clicking. My headlight still isnt coming on though. Any idea where to move on from here?

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri May 06, 2022 12:49 pm

Viciousalicious wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:22 am
Update: Sorry for the delay, took some time for me to actually get to work on it.

I've done all you asked. I cleaned the terminals and eyelets although they weren't in bad condition to begin with. As well as the grounding portion (which is surprisingly hard to get to). Made sure the battery was charged, and then tried to start the bike again. Still no dice. Fuel pump still isn't priming and I'm hearing a clicking noise like before. Still not bothering to crank either.

I didn't notice before (because i was working in daylight) that my front blinkers were blinking in time with the clicking. My headlight still isnt coming on though. Any idea where to move on from here?
================

Vic,
How long have you had this '95 XV535?

When did this non-starting issue begin?

Have you done any electrical work on your XV535 like adding new items?

How old is your bike battery?

With a mutimeter check the Voltage directly across the battery terminals and provide us with the results.
A fully charged battery (wet cell) should be 12.6 volts DC to be fully charged. (AGM) battery will be a little higher like 12.8 volts DC.

If the voltage checks out. Then there is one more test you need to do on the battery. It is usually a free service at most auto parts stores. Have the battery load tested. It may show decent voltage numbers, however, lack the punch power AMP(s) wise to turn the engine over to start the bike. Headlight alone pulls around 5 Amps (The reason the headlight turns off when the start button is pressed) Yamaha wanted those 5 amps to go to the starter to assist in starting the bike. The starter has the biggest Amp draw on the battery during starting. Starter Relay, Fuel pump, and other components will also take up some amperage. You need all the Amp power you can muster to get to the starter. If the battery is weak amp wise, there's no chance the bike will turn over and start.

Lets us know your findings.

Also, update your profile to include "What Virago you Own:" Year and model.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

Viciousalicious

Post by Viciousalicious » Tue May 10, 2022 8:49 am

I've had this Virago for the better part of 3 years now. And this non-starting issue happened after it broke down in December of 2021. After I had it brought to my garage, I waited a bit before working on it and that's when I noticed it wouldn't attempt to start.

I personally didn't do any electrical work. It seems the previous owner did. There's a Xentec module I think they installed for an HID bulb. And a separate wire for a USB charger (although it came to me with no fuse so it was never in use).

The battery is recent, maybe a year and a half ago. I bought a Shorai lithium battery to replace the old acid one since it was dead. It's worked fine for me. I'll have to get back to you on the multimeter testing. But if you think any information here is of use, let me know. I appreciate the help!

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue May 10, 2022 9:55 am

Viciousalicious wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 8:49 am
I've had this Virago for the better part of 3 years now. And this non-starting issue happened after it broke down in December of 2021. After I had it brought to my garage, I waited a bit before working on it and that's when I noticed it wouldn't attempt to start.

I personally didn't do any electrical work. It seems the previous owner did. There's a Xentec module I think they installed for an HID bulb. And a separate wire for a USB charger (although it came to me with no fuse so it was never in use).

The battery is recent, maybe a year and a half ago. I bought a Shorai lithium battery to replace the old acid one since it was dead. It's worked fine for me. I'll have to get back to you on the multimeter testing. But if you think any information here is of use, let me know. I appreciate the help!
========================

Vic,

I always get surprised in a the middle of a topic. Folks never give the full picture at the beginning. The Devil is always in the details later.

Help provided from this site is based to O.E.M. Factory Supplied equipment. We here can't determine the outcomes of non-standard O.E.M. Factory Supplied equipment.

Like:
Xentec modules and
Lithium Batteries

Or any other modifications made. We have enough issues trying to separate pepper and fly poop from O.E.M. standard equipped virago's. Deviations from standard equipment just muddies things up. Suggestions made above regarding your charging system, battery health etc., no longer applies.

Lithium batteries are way different than wet cell and AGM batteries and behave differently.

BATTERY TYPES [INFO]

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=793&p=2427&hilit=battery%2A#p2427

Read this below topic on how heat and cold affects lithium batteries.
I'll stay with the ole conventional Wet Cell and/or AGM batteries.

I do not experiment with batteries. I use what the Bike was designed to have. Playing with non-standard Electrics can be catastrophic.

Of course, It's not my bike or Butt! It's yours.

1989 XV1000 Lithium battery? (U.K.)

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1431
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

Viciousalicious

Post by Viciousalicious » Tue May 10, 2022 2:50 pm

I'd agree with you! I work on a lot of older cars and I usually try to keep parts OEM. Were it up to me I'd have been rid of the xentec nonsense, but it wasn't causing me any issues (until maybe now). I understand your advice comes for standard builds, but do you think I should try removing it and going on from there?

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue May 10, 2022 3:06 pm

Viciousalicious wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:50 pm
I'd agree with you! I work on a lot of older cars and I usually try to keep parts OEM. Were it up to me I'd have been rid of the xentec nonsense, but it wasn't causing me any issues (until maybe now). I understand your advice comes for standard builds, but do you think I should try removing it and going on from there?
=========================

Vic,

Sorry, it's your bike and your call. I just supply information. The decision is up to you to make.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

Viciousalicious

Post by Viciousalicious » Wed May 11, 2022 10:54 am

Thanks for your help anyway. I honestly didn't think about the aftermarket stuff. I'll fiddle around with it, and if I make any headway I'll update here just in case someone else might benefit from it. You've been great. Cheers!