1997 XV535 Light switch US import [INFO.]

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV250? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Steve.E
What Virago you Own: 1997 XV535
Paramedic by trade but working towards a better understanding of old air cooled V twins

1997 XV535 Light switch US import [INFO.]

Post by Steve.E » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:57 pm

Hi all. My bike is a 1997 US import into the UK. There is no light switch fitted, they are permenantly on.

I want to fit an on/off switch somewhere so I can switch the front and rear lights on/off. I have a waterproof switch ready to be intalled. Cheap £6 thing with two wires

Where and which wire do a cut into the lighting circuit to control both front and rear lights? Can someone point me in the right direction. I have the wiring diagrams out but I dont know which wire to access and where it is

I may have access to a used UK Virago switch but I think the wiring will be different. Anyone tried this before?

Best regards

Steve UK

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1997 XV535 Light switch US import [INFO.]

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:22 pm

Steve.E wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:57 pm
Hi all. My bike is a 1997 US import into the UK. There is no light switch fitted, they are permenantly on.

I want to fit an on/off switch somewhere so I can switch the front and rear lights on/off. I have a waterproof switch ready to be intalled. Cheap £6 thing with two wires

Where and which wire do a cut into the lighting circuit to control both front and rear lights? Can someone point me in the right direction. I have the wiring diagrams out but I dont know which wire to access and where it is

I may have access to a used UK Virago switch but I think the wiring will be different. Anyone tried this before?

Best regards

Steve UK

Steve,

Have you thought about repercussions or consequence it may have on your bikes electrical system if you turn the lights off while operating your Virago. Everything the engineers did when designing your bike was done for a reason.

Even going to LED bulbs vs the standard OEM incandescent bulbs can cause issues.

Read this topic for I've lived it.

LED's - Headlight & Other Bulbs / Regulator-Rectifier affects [INFO]

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1052&p=3785&hilit= ... r%2A#p3785

Your thoughts and/or ideas?
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

Steve.E
What Virago you Own: 1997 XV535
Paramedic by trade but working towards a better understanding of old air cooled V twins

Re: 1997 XV535 Light switch US import [INFO.]

Post by Steve.E » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:29 pm

Thanks for the reply Jo. Learning something new every day