Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

98 Virago 535 fuel flow direction

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV250? Post it here!
aeidian
What Virago you Own:

98 Virago 535 fuel flow direction

Post by aeidian » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:09 pm

I've taken the main tank (under seat tank) cleaned it, sealed it using Red-Kote and put it back together. Something is odd about the way fuel is flowing through. On top of the tank there are 3 ports, the bigger two that are the vent and filler neck from the upper tank, and a third that is supposed to run fuel to the fuel pump. Following that third port down through the tank it comes out the bottom, then fuel line runs to the petcock. Obviously the fuel comes out the petcock, through that fuel line and then up through the tank, then out the top and onto the fuel pump. Looking inside the tank you can see the tube that runs through the tank to carry fuel from the petcock to the fuel pump. Problem is no fuel will come out of the top port. Pump kicks on and runs, I can disconnect the top fuel line and put it in a can and it sucks fuel just fine. I shut off the petcock and take the bottom fuel line loose from the petcock and fuel comes out of the fuel line nonstop. There would be some residual fuel because of gravity, but it seems like the tube inside the tank is broken fuel is leaking into it, seems like there shouldn't be any fuel at all in there unless the pump is sucking it up. Fuel is supposed to come out of the petcock ONLY, then go through the line, up the tube, and then onto the fuel pump, right?

If I disconnect from the petcock and then hook the line straight to the fuel pump the bike runs fine, but it shouldn't be sucking any fuel out of that tube, right?

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"

Re: 98 Virago 535 fuel flow direction

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:11 am

I've taken the main tank (under seat tank) cleaned it, sealed it using Red-Kote and put it back together. Something is odd about the way fuel is flowing through.

Was the fuel flowing normally prior to you sealing the tank? If it was and now you are experiencing a problem. It may be due to the Red-Kote sealant causing a restriction somewhere. Hard to say without seeing the tank and how it was sealed.

Click Image to Enlarge:
1998 XV535 Fuel Tanks and Fuel Path.
1998 XV535 Fuel Tank and Fuel Path.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)