Tired of seeing ads? Register now! Registered members NO longer have to see any advertising on the forum side of the website. Enjoy! --- Rob

1983 XV500 Need Help Diagnosing Problems

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV500? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

jackr
What Virago you Own:

1983 XV500 Need Help Diagnosing Problems

Post by jackr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:53 pm

Hi all,

I just recently bought a 1983 XV500, and need some help diagnosing a few problems.

When I first got the bike, it needed the choke on to run without dying, so I rebuilt the carbs which helped that problem. The carbs were cleaner than I expected though, and none of the jets were plugged. Next, I changed out the spark plugs, and the front spark plug was pretty fouled up and the gap was significantly larger than .032. They're now both brand new and gapped right.

Now the bike still has a few problems, and I'm not quite sure where to go next or even if the problems are connected.

The biggest thing is that I'm losing power in first and second gears, and it will kick back on sporadically, which can be a hard to handle. This problem seems to dissipate after a mile or so of riding.

The engine is also running a little rough at idle, with an occasional misfire, and the bike is idling high once it's warmed up (idling at around 3500-4000 rpm) which causes a soft backfire after a ride of few miles I'm guessing because it's running a little rich.

Finally the battery totally dies after the bike has been sitting in my lot for about 4 hours or so. I'm guessing this is just a bad battery, but I thought I'd mention in case there's a connection I'm missing.

I was hoping the spark plugs would fix most of the issues, but changing them out really doesn't seem to have helped much. Any input would really be appreciated, and I'm happy to be part of these forums. Thanks!

Jack