1983 Virago XV500 Air Filter Replacement/Cone Conversion(?) (Pennsylvania)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV500? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Wrongspartan
What Virago you Own:

1983 Virago XV500 Air Filter Replacement/Cone Conversion(?) (Pennsylvania)

Post by Wrongspartan » Mon May 09, 2022 8:17 pm

I bought this bike from my buddy and was going through regular maintenance. Long story short, the air filter needs to be replaced. I found a replacement air filter here, https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamah ... fd3c87f8f3. I want to know if anyone has done a cone air filter conversion, one for each carburetor since the filter is a little expensive. Since there is rubber section at the top of the carb I wonder if you can just buy a filter and slip it on. Thanks

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1983 Virago XV500 Air Filter Replacement/Cone Conversion(?) (Pennsylvania)

Post by ViragoJoe » Mon May 09, 2022 11:37 pm

Wrongspartan wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:17 pm
I bought this bike from my buddy and was going through regular maintenance. Long story short, the air filter needs to be replaced. I found a replacement air filter here, https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamah ... fd3c87f8f3. I want to know if anyone has done a cone air filter conversion, one for each carburetor since the filter is a little expensive. Since there is rubber section at the top of the carb I wonder if you can just buy a filter and slip it on. Thanks
=================

Wrongspartan,

Yes, depending on some motorcycles parts they can be expensive.

I really don't think what you are asking has ever been done before on an '83 XV500. You may think that your Air Cleaner Filter Element is expensive. Since you are the trail blazer here and if you decide to take on this task. Lets try a cost analysis to determine what your are asking is a good idea or not.

What would be the cost for two elbows to fit over the Carburetors for the Cone Shaped Filter with the correct bends and lengths?

What would be the cost of clamps to hold them to the carburetors?

What would be the cost of two Cone Type Air Filters?

What would be the cost of the two clamps to connect elbows to the Cone shaped Air Filters?

Would the Cone filters require brackets to hold them in place to frame or engine? Most likely would be required.

Can you say "Cha Ching"?! Sure you can.

What about the amount of time that would be required to do all this work of trial and error?

Trust me here, just buy the OEM Filter and call it good!! It'll be cheaper in the long run.

Anytime, carburetion and/or exhaust systems are modified there are always consequences that affects performance. You may not like the outcome of your modification and just defeat the purpose of the current Air filter System.

How many times have you heard people say. "Why in the H#LL didn't I just leave well enough alone." Don't be one of those people.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

Wrongspartan
What Virago you Own:

Re: 1983 Virago XV500 Air Filter Replacement/Cone Conversion(?) (Pennsylvania)

Post by Wrongspartan » Wed May 11, 2022 4:13 pm

Thanks for the advice this is my first bike.