1983 XV500 non starter condition U.K.

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV500? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1983 XV500 non starter condition U.K.

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:25 am

Space hopper wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:40 pm
Yeah not cookieman but space hopper above, just seen a great money saver on another forum about DIY airfilter for xv500, the cost of an original one what I can buy is about $90, however following this posters instructions it cost me about $4 and is every bit as good as original!
Space hopper,

Careful here. Sometimes when you play you pay! It's your bike and your call on what you want to do here.

Usually, when you start modifying or adjusting breathing and/or exhaust you upset engine harmonics that Yamaha put so much work into. On the bigger bikes it can cause lack of performance and cause backfiring. I've found leaving well enough alone, I've eliminated potential problems.

The problem with drag pipes on a street bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezpM5rGpIx8
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

Space hopper
What Virago you Own: 1983 XV500K

Post by Space hopper » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:25 pm

The airfilter is the old eaten up one disassembled and rebuilt with new filter paper from a new car airfilter, I will post a pic and you will see it's not a "race filter " but a very standard one at a 10th of the price of an oem.

Space hopper

Post by Space hopper » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:29 pm

20210422_180111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:51 pm

Space hopper wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:25 pm
The airfilter is the old eaten up one disassembled and rebuilt with new filter paper from a new car airfilter, I will post a pic and you will see it's not a "race filter " but a very standard one at a 10th of the price of an oem.
Space hopper,

Oh, misunderstood. Thought that you were going with a completely modified aftermarket filtration system.

Yup, saving big bucks on a filter element is a good idea!

Mine sells for around $12.49 USD, and £13.00GBP. Big difference compared to yours :!: :shock:
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

Space hopper

Post by Space hopper » Sun May 09, 2021 1:07 pm

Hi, now starting nice with full choke but only on rear cylinder, front will fire if I put my hand over bellmouth, I think it means too lean, how do I richen if that's the problem?

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun May 09, 2021 4:30 pm

Space hopper wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:07 pm
Hi, now starting nice with full choke but only on rear cylinder, front will fire if I put my hand over bellmouth, I think it means too lean, how do I richen if that's the problem?
Hi, now starting nice with full choke but only on rear cylinder
Is this due to the the new filter material configuration?

front will fire if I put my hand over bellmouth, I think it means too lean, how do I richen if that's the problem?
Not sure if that is the root cause of your problem of being too lean. Possibly. Consult your repair manual for idle circuit fuel screw settings and float setting requirements. These items can affect lean and/or rich conditions. Sometimes this can be a trial and error situation to get it right after set to factory specs first.

Please explain Bellmouth. Not familiar with that terminology. Is that your own fabricated word to describe a Virago part?

Are you possibly speaking about the Air Funnels (Yamaha's description) that sit underneath the air filter element and attach to carburetors?
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

Space hopper

Post by Space hopper » Sun May 09, 2021 5:14 pm

Thanks for reply viragojoe, yes what we call bellmouth is indeed the rubber intake from airfilter to carb, sorry for any confusion, while I am writing this reply I cannot see your post and am unsure of what adjustment you said, the only adjustment I can make is the pilot air Screws which are at the moment set at 2 turns out from soft seat, is this what you mean? All other adjustments are achieved by changing the jets, I'm 99% sure it's a fuelling problem, everything else checks out good. It's now got stock jets and starts easy with full choke, but only rear cylinder, float levels checked and are good, I will reread your post and act upon it . BTW we call them bellmouth because of their shape flaring out, a bit like a bell, common term in England. The airfilter is off at the moment and I know it will slightly richen the mixture when fitted, but it makes no difference to starting if it's on or off. Thanks

Space hopper

Post by Space hopper » Sun May 09, 2021 5:30 pm

I forgot to mention that with a squirt of carb cleaner into front cylinder air intake, then it fires, same as "choking " with hand over intake, which says to me fuelling issue, but I could be wrong, I've been wrong many times before. Thanks

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun May 09, 2021 5:49 pm

When responding and you need to see what you are responding to just use your scroll wheel on the mouse and scroll downward. You well then be able to see it. Scroll back up and continue with your editing.

With the stock pilot and main jets are installed will provide the needed fuel requirements. Yes, if you use other jets it will affect the fuel to air ratios being leaner or richer. Usually these may get changed to accommodate different exhaust configurations. Usually provided by the exhaust pipe manufacturer when necessary.

On CV carburetors it isn't air screw adjustments, but fuel screw adjustments. You are adjusting how much fuel you are providing or taking away. Not how much air you are giving or taking away.

See the CV carburetor animation here:

How does a CV Carburetor works - Quick and simple explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBFq9nHVmks

Try adjusting the pilot screw for the cylinder that isn't firing up. Keep track of the amount of turns either way.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

Space hopper

Post by Space hopper » Sun May 09, 2021 6:33 pm

Thanks virago Joe, just watched YouTube video, was informative. I can't scroll anywhere because I'm on my cell phone and it isn't an option, I will try adjustment of screw (both at 2 turns out), maybe I still have a blocked internal passage, although they seem alright, thanks again and I will update asap