☆This time I personally need your help....☆
This was a tough decision to decide on. I generally stay behind the scenes keeping this site chugging along. Joe, is the one that gives out the amazing wealth of knowledge he has. I've put an amazing amount of time into the bringing together this website and not to mention have footed the bills a few times. I've kept us hacker free for a damn long time. I never ask much of you guy/gals. Only if we get in crunch time and the site needs a little help. Ive never asked for the ridiculous thousands I have seen another site ask for.. ridiculous is the perfect word. I even removed ads for those that log in, severely cutting revenue. Sites been about helping people, not making money. I feel bad actually doing this.. but I need help. I have gastroparesis brought on from diabetes(20+ years). I've been struggling with this nightmare for over 3 years. Finally diagnosed beginning this year. Look it up. Look up worst cases... that's me. Ive lost 60 lbs since January. 28 days ago the company I've worked for for many years found their dirty lil way to fire me. I was approved for up to 3 days off a week for fmla.. that really pissed them off. So illegally fired, savings drained from medical bills, bad diabetic now with no insurance. I'm in deep shit. That is politely saying it unfortunately. If any of you guys cant help please at least keep me in your thoughts. If this was wrong, me asking for help, my apologies. I'm declining in health fast, and unemployment hasn't came through yet and that in itself is a nightmare. Anyone who can, please donate to the website. This time it goes to help me. Thank you everyone. Again, my apologies for asking. I honestly don't know what to do or where to turn.
Rob *This message can be dismissed by hovering over the upper right corner of it and X should appear. click that.*
UPDATE: THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN A FEW OF YOU DONATING. THANK YOU SO MUCH, I'M LITERALLY IN TEARS AS I TYPE THIS. EVERY PENNY COUNTS. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING THE HEROES RIGHT NOW.

1983 XV500k fuel petcock (Kansas) (CLOSED)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV500? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1983 XV500k fuel petcock (Kansas)

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:40 am

mnoll2010 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:24 pm
Also, I tried to do a search, but I don't understand the terminology in that search column area. I would like to know just out of curiosity, how the Yamaha Yics system works, and if I replaced the original pet cock Vacuum system with a regular petcock, do I plug off any of the carburetor ports can? Does the YICS system need to be kept intact to control backfires. Can anybody help me with that.
=====================================
mnoll2010,

If you replace a vacuum actuated petcock with just gravity feed. Then yes, you will need to plug that vacuum line hose.

Since your XV500 has YICS (Yamaha Induction Control System). Here is some information that explains what it is:

Yamaha Induction Control System

http://ridersofvision.net/xz550pages/YICS.html
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

mnoll2010
What Virago you Own: 3x 1983 XV500K Virgo
1982 XJ650 Maxim
1979 MX100
1979 YZ250.
1978 YZ460(?)
1981 XT250
1982 XT200. Had to sell to get XV500

Re: 1983 XV500k fuel petcock (Kansas) (CLOSED)

Post by mnoll2010 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:19 pm

Ok thank you

katdust
What Virago you Own: 1983 virago 500vx

Re: 1983 XV500k fuel petcock (joplin mo)

Post by katdust » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:21 pm

would this work as a setup without the vacum petcock?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:05 pm

katdust wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:21 pm
would this work as a setup without the vacum petcock?
============

katdust,

we dunno. what have you done, care to elaborate?

What do you have installed if you don't have a vacuum petcock installed?

Also, please update your profile with Joplin, Mo.USA and your bike information 1983 XV500.
Thanks, that would help us a great deal!
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

katdust

Post by katdust » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:44 pm

right now I just have a on off petcock and a little fuel tank to test the engine because I got it for 200$ and I don't know what works and doest work. so I blocked off all the vacum lines like you said it the previous coment and im just trying to make sure I did it right. it's my first time working on a bike

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:53 pm

katdust wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:44 pm
right now I just have a on off petcock and a little fuel tank to test the engine because I got it for 200$ and I don't know what works and doest work. so I blocked off all the vacum lines like you said it the previous coment and im just trying to make sure I did it right. it's my first time working on a bike
============

katdust,

There really isn't much information on '83 XV500's for there was only one year for the U.S. market (1983)

If you don't have a repair manual for your XV500. We do have one in the left side panel for it.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL:

katdust

Post by katdust » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:16 pm

so there is a chance blocking off all the vacuum likes won't let the engine rune properly?

ViragoJoe

Post by ViragoJoe » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:24 pm

katdust wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:16 pm
so there is a chance blocking off all the vacuum likes won't let the engine rune properly?
============
katdust,

I'm not sure, so check on this. But, I believe your XV500 has a vacuum operated fuel pump. So it will need a vacuum hook up to pump fuel.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
;)

NOTE TO ALL: