1988 XV400 Strange electrical issue (Western Australia) (Waiting for Reply)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV400? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

1988 XV400 Strange electrical issue (Western Australia) (Waiting for Reply)

Post by Michelle » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:02 am

Hello...... My bike has been sitting around a while.
The battery has been on a battery minder so it's fine.
Starter switch is fine.

Turn the key to "On", and........ nothing. No clicking fuel pump.. Nothing at all.

Checked all the fuses, checked the battery, checked the starter switch.

Turn key to "On"
Pull clutch lever in.
Green "neutral light" glimmers as if slowly waking up.... slowly getting brighter.
Starter relay (on right side of bike under the chrome pod) may click and crackle a little then seems to go silent.
Headlight slowly comes on.
No sound at all from fuel pump. No clicking as it would normally do.
Press the "Run" button and everything dims a little.
Press the "Start" button and...... nothing at all.

Have checked the wiring and messed around with the connectors.

Temperatures around here have been very hot (40 C +) and very humid, Bike is not exposed per sa, but is under a car port only. Has not been started in months.

Ideas?
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 1988 XV400 Strange electrical issue (Western Australia)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:54 am

Michelle wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:02 am
Hello...... My bike has been sitting around a while.
The battery has been on a battery minder so it's fine.
Starter switch is fine.

Turn the key to "On", and........ nothing. No clicking fuel pump.. Nothing at all.

Checked all the fuses, checked the battery, checked the starter switch.

Turn key to "On"
Pull clutch lever in.
Green "neutral light" glimmers as if slowly waking up.... slowly getting brighter.
Starter relay (on right side of bike under the chrome pod) may click and crackle a little then seems to go silent.
Headlight slowly comes on.
No sound at all from fuel pump. No clicking as it would normally do.
Press the "Run" button and everything dims a little.
Press the "Start" button and...... nothing at all.

Have checked the wiring and messed around with the connectors.

Temperatures around here have been very hot (40 C +) and very humid, Bike is not exposed per sa, but is under a car port only. Has not been started in months.

Ideas?
Hi Michelle,

We haven't heard from you in awhile. How's my friend Kaiser doing?!

Sorry, to hear that the temps are off the charts down under. Just the opposite up here. Suppose to go down to 9F tonight -12.8C

Although, your battery has been kept on a battery minder. It may read 12.6 volts and that is normal. However, it can't provide the AMPS needed to make everything work as it should. Also, see what condition the battery terminals are in. They may have some corrosion and need cleaning. Extreme HEAT and/or COLD can degrade a batteries health. The very reason my bikes battery is in the basement on a float charger currently, with this cold weather up here. Wet cell Batteries are prone to loose electrolyte in extreme heat conditions, due to evaporation. AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) batteries are a more robust design and aren't affected the same way.

Take the battery out of the bike and take it to your friendly auto parts store and have them load test it. This is usually a free service. It is up here. If your battery turns out to be bad under the load test. May I suggest that you replace it with an AGM type. Yuasa batteries are really good. My Yuasa AGM battery lasted me 13 years. I replaced it a year ago.

I have a feeling that your battery can no longer handle the demands that Tokyo Rose is asking the battery to provide.

If it turns out that the battery needs to be replaced and you want to start Tokyo Rose. Pick up a can of Starting Fluid while at the auto parts store.

Place your new battery in Tokyo Rose, however, before you try to start her up. Pull out the Spark Plugs and give each cylinder a shot of the Starting Fluid. Replace the Spark Plugs. Turn Ignition key on, Run switch to run. Press the starter button. The starting Fluid should ignite and help her take a couple deep breaths of fuel and air mixture and assist her in starting.

Good Luck, Let us know how it goes.

It's good to hear your Voice Typing again! :lol:
Joe
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:18 pm

I agree with Joe. Sounds like a weak battery.

If it's not a sealed (VRLA) battery, you may want to open it up and see if the electrolyte level is appropriate. The plates should be fully immersed. If they aren't, you may try adding some distilled water first, and see if that helps (leave the battery on a charger overnight after adding water). Little cost, may fix it. Still, a new battery is probably the most reliable solution.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

Schu
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100 (sold)
1976 DT175
1975 DT400
1975 DT250 (2)
1975 DT175
1975 DT125
1975 DT100
1975 GT80
1974 DT360
1974 Z50
1972 JT60 (2)
1971 JT60
1971 CT175
1970 CT175
2017 SCR950

Post by Schu » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:29 pm

Welcome back Chelle! :P
I'm not around here much anymore either, but you've been gone for a few years.
I assumed you had moved on from your Vgo.
Great to hear from you again, and my guess is you simply need a new battery.
I'm good at guessing. ;)

Michelle
What Virago you Own: 1988 XV400 Virago

Post by Michelle » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:54 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll get a new battery today.
Kaiser past away February last year. He was 11 and had a series of strokes. He was also in kidney failure, but he had a good life. He's with us still having been cremated and he's buried in my back yard. Every night we light a candle and place it in a lamp for him "So he knows he's not forgotten" as my mum says.
These days we have Poppy. She's just 4 and half months old. Another Shepard.
Poor health is preventing me from riding my bike. I have been diagnosed with cerebral ataxia. It's an inherited condition from my dad and effects my fine motor control and my balance. That keeps me off the bike though I have taken to riding a pushbike to work.
Anyhow, thanks for the help. I'll let you know if a new battery solves the issue.
1988 XV400 Virago
On L-Plates

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:47 am

Michelle wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:54 pm
Thanks everyone. I'll get a new battery today.
Kaiser past away February last year. He was 11 and had a series of strokes. He was also in kidney failure, but he had a good life. He's with us still having been cremated and he's buried in my back yard. Every night we light a candle and place it in a lamp for him "So he knows he's not forgotten" as my mum says.
These days we have Poppy. She's just 4 and half months old. Another Shepard.
Poor health is preventing me from riding my bike. I have been diagnosed with cerebral ataxia. It's an inherited condition from my dad and effects my fine motor control and my balance. That keeps me off the bike though I have taken to riding a pushbike to work.
Anyhow, thanks for the help. I'll let you know if a new battery solves the issue.
Michelle,

Sorry, to hear about Kaiser passing.

I hope your health improves, so you can get Tokyo Rose back on the road.

Hopefully, the battery is the only culprit causing all the issues.

Joe
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile with location (State/Country) & Bike Information. It will aid us in assisting you!

All topics are archived by vehicle families for easy perusing and to find answers.

Also: If this website was helpful, please consider donating to help keep this site here for yourself and future Virago owners.

Schu
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100 (sold)
1976 DT175
1975 DT400
1975 DT250 (2)
1975 DT175
1975 DT125
1975 DT100
1975 GT80
1974 DT360
1974 Z50
1972 JT60 (2)
1971 JT60
1971 CT175
1970 CT175
2017 SCR950

Post by Schu » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:56 pm

Ah Chelle so sorry to hear about your shepherd Kaiser. I've had 5 Labrador Retrievers in my life time, and I am on number six who is 8 years old. I swear it gets harder every time they pass on. I'm not sure I'll get another after this one is gone.

I had to research your health condition as I was not familiar with it. Be strong and be sure to get the help you need to deal with it. I'm sure you know what to do if you say your father also had it.

My wife and I are both cancer survivors and unfortunately when it comes to our own health, it's often not as simple as getting a new battery....

Keep in touch with us!