Pancake Air Filter on a 2007 250? (SYDNEY AUSTRALIA) [Feedback Provided]

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV250? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

MrPayne
What Virago you Own:

Pancake Air Filter on a 2007 250? (SYDNEY AUSTRALIA) [Feedback Provided]

Post by MrPayne » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:47 am

:P :P :P

So I’m trying to put a Pancake style air filter on the old ladies 2007 xv250 and I’m not the most motor savvy person around…

I’ve found one that fits the air box inlet on the frame, but my confusion is with the carb hose. Does the carb need an air box for itself like that of the stock?

I can cut the stock section and it will fit in the pancake, but before I do so I’d like to double check with someone with a bit more know-how 8-)

If you’re still confused I can send through some photos of what I’ve come up with as I think it would be a cool mod, that I’ve seen on some other viragos on the internet, I just can’t see inside them! Haha

Any help appreciated

ViragoJoe
    What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: Pancake Air Filter on a 2007 250? (SYDNEY AUSTRALIA)

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:09 am

MrPayne wrote:
    Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:47 am

:P :P :P

So I’m trying to put a Pancake style air filter on the old ladies 2007 xv250 and I’m not the most motor savvy person around…

I’ve found one that fits the air box inlet on the frame, but my confusion is with the carb hose. Does the carb need an air box for itself like that of the stock?

I can cut the stock section and it will fit in the pancake, but before I do so I’d like to double check with someone with a bit more know-how 8-)

If you’re still confused I can send through some photos of what I’ve come up with as I think it would be a cool mod, that I’ve seen on some other viragos on the internet, I just can’t see inside them! Haha

Any help appreciated
      MrPayne,
      I’m not the most motor savvy person around…
      I think it would be a cool mod, that I’ve seen on some other viragos on the internet,
      Seeing how it looks is one thing. How did it run after the modification is another?!

What's wrong with the stock Air cleaner? Just to make it look more cosmetically appealing may not be worth the trip.
      So I’m trying to put a Pancake style air filter on
      Understand any mods made to a well running Virago like Intake and exhaust modifications there are always consequences. Some big and/or small, for you are possibly changing the engine breathing harmonics.

Something will suffer like performance. Yamaha put a lot of $$$ and research to get these wonderful bikes running as well as they do. Why mess with perfection? But, it's your wife's bike. Just my $0.02 cents.
      ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
      1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
      "Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
      ;)

NOTE TO ALL:
      :arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location & Bike Information.
      It will aid us in assisting you!

ViragoJoe
      What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: Pancake Air Filter on a 2007 250? (SYDNEY AUSTRALIA)

Post by ViragoJoe » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:40 am

MrPayne,

Prior to any modifications you do. Take deep dives into the Internet to see how the bike runs after the modification, not just how it looks.

See if it is really worth making that modification. View videos of folks that have already done what you want to do.
      I'm not just saying how it runs at idle, but, how it runs as he/she rides off into the sunset.

There are a lot of topics on this site of folks making modifications to there bikes. Read them. Some are good mods others not so. Remember some mods are not reversible and you are stuck with them. Be cautious, research a lot. Then see if it is for you.

Some guys and gals make a mod that didn't work and then come here to make it work. Some don't disclose everything they've done making it harder to diagnose. Mods just muddy things up. There are enough problems keeping unmodified Virago's on the road. We can only base things on Yamaha specs. Reason they created repair manuals. Modifications changes the rules in the manuals. Then it is flying by the seat of your pants, corrections, if there are any.

A good example:
      Going from a dual carbureted bike to a single carbureted one.
      That mod can give you nightmares and it usually does. A lot depends on who's intake manifold is used. Carburetor used. Jetting that will satisfy both cylinders. There was a big reason why Yamaha went with dual carburetors in the first place. You'll have to ask them. Once in a blue moon will someone get it right using a single carb. You will have to do exactly what they did to the letter with the same model and year bike. Doesn't make it sound any better. Plus, you will loose the Virago Grunt and Performance. The only satisfaction is that you got it to work. No real benefit.

Just a lot of work and time with a big price tag!
      ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
      1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
      "Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
      ;)

NOTE TO ALL:
      :arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location & Bike Information.
      It will aid us in assisting you!