2007 XV250 Can’t twist throttle

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV250? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

Barnburner88
What Virago you Own: 2007 XV250

2007 XV250 Can’t twist throttle

Post by Barnburner88 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:02 am

My 2007 250 v twin has been parked for several years due to health reasons. I want to get it running again and know that fluids need changed & it needs a new battery and tires for sure. When I pushed the bike the other day I noticed the throttle doesn’t twist. I wanted to do some of the needed work at home but am not sure about why the throttle seems stuck. Any suggestions as to why this might be and also recommendations as to other stuff that needs done before starting. The bike only has 7000 miles and has had regular maintenance at the shop before being parked. Thanks in advance.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 2007 XV250 Can’t twist throttle

Post by ViragoJoe » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:24 am

Barnburner88 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:02 am
My 2007 250 v twin has been parked for several years due to health reasons. I want to get it running again and know that fluids need changed & it needs a new battery and tires for sure. When I pushed the bike the other day I noticed the throttle doesn’t twist. I wanted to do some of the needed work at home but am not sure about why the throttle seems stuck. Any suggestions as to why this might be and also recommendations as to other stuff that needs done before starting. The bike only has 7000 miles and has had regular maintenance at the shop before being parked. Thanks in advance.
Barnburner,
I wanted to do some of the needed work at home but am not sure about why the throttle seems stuck.
Sitting for several years can cause a pleothera of reasons why the throttle is stuck. Being stored outside vs inside being a factor. "Corrosion" being the biggy!

Throttle cable may/can be corroded stopping the functionality of the throttle system. It is going to be trial and error for you to determine what the root cause is for not functioning properly.

When I first purchased my Virago all was good. Then the Choke Lever didn't work and made it almost impossible to start the engine in cold weather conditions. The choke cable was brand new based on the condition and colorization of the exterior jacketing and it was cleaner than the rest of the cables on the bike. So, basically I ruled out that it was a bad and corroded cable. I Couldn't see any carburetor linkage binding or bent components that would hinder its movement. I could pull on the handle bar thumb lever until the cows came home and Nada. No, movement period.

It was a simple fix. Are you sitting down? I just sprayed the exterior of my carburetors with WD-40 and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Well sir, that solved my choke not working problem. Who knew? Certainly not me! Lubrication was the culprit for my choke not working. Will this solve your issue? I don't know.

Previous owner must have had the same issue, reason for the new choke cable. Since it was summer and the bike would start without the choke. The bike was sold to me along with the choke not working scenario and became my problem when I went to use the choke in cold weather conditions. Took a while to correct the issue.

Well sir, You will have to give it a go with this engineering technique of using trail and error to resolve your problem of the throttle being stuck. There really isn't a clear cut reason for it being stuck.

Disconnect the cable from the Carburetor and see if the throttle will turn then. If it turns, cable is ok. Move on to the next item, Carburetor linkage? Spray the Carb with WD-40. The pivot shaft may need a little lubrication to free it up.

It can be something simple like lubrication or require a total carburetor rebuild. You won't know for sure until you start getting your hands dirty.

Good luck.

P.S. where in the world are you located. Please update your profile.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location & Bike Information.
It will aid us in assisting you!

GDad
What Virago you Own: 1991 Virago XV1100
1996 Virago XV250
1983 Virago XV500

Post by GDad » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:26 am

"Any suggestions as to why this might be and also recommendations as to other stuff that needs done before starting."

Hi

Personally I would take out the plugs out and either clean and checked them or for the cost replace them. I would change the oil before starting as well, if it was dirty or got water in somehow. Obviously fresh gas and make sure fuel filter and air filter are clean.

G

Barnburner88
What Virago you Own: 2007 XV250

Post by Barnburner88 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:40 pm

Thanks guys...somewhere to start👍