2002 XV250 chain issues on new to me Virago (U.S.) (Solved)

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV250? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

BillyBob
What Virago you Own: 2002 Virago 250

2002 XV250 chain issues on new to me Virago (U.S.) (Solved)

Post by BillyBob » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 pm

Hello, I am new here, I just picked up a used 2002 Virago 250 today. It has 9,000 miles, and the motor runs well. The chain was really loose on it ,and was a little rusted looking . I got it home, and adjusted the chain, and when I went to push it out of the garage the chain tightened up so tight it couldn't roll forward, I had to pull the bike backwards .I loosened the chain some, and it still gets very loose in spots,and tight in spots as I roll it. I am sure the guy intentionally had the chain so loose for this reason. I was afraid the front sprocket shaft was bent, but it is not I had the same amount of refference marks showing on both sides of the swing arm when I adjusted it. Can any of you offer any opinions? I would appreciate it.

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 2002 XV250 chain issues on new to me Virago (U.S.) (Solved)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:17 am

BillyBob wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 pm
Hello, I am new here, I just picked up a used 2002 Virago 250 today. It has 9,000 miles, and the motor runs well. The chain was really loose on it ,and was a little rusted looking . I got it home, and adjusted the chain, and when I went to push it out of the garage the chain tightened up so tight it couldn't roll forward, I had to pull the bike backwards .I loosened the chain some, and it still gets very loose in spots,and tight in spots as I roll it. I am sure the guy intentionally had the chain so loose for this reason. I was afraid the front sprocket shaft was bent, but it is not I had the same amount of refference marks showing on both sides of the swing arm when I adjusted it. Can any of you offer any opinions? I would appreciate it.
BillyBob,

Outside of Sprockets being out of round or something bent. This explains it best:

Chain / Belt Tension, Explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_CyM-Ed8PA

Check your Repair manual for the correct amount of slack needed to work properly.

Click Image to Enlarge:
XV250 Drive Chain Slack.
XV250 DRIVE CHAIN SLACK.png

Chain tight spots - but why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StDoNy0q4Z0

How to Fix Uneven Chain Slack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rXQKVEn3mk

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location & Bike Information.
It will aid us in assisting you!

BillyBob

Post by BillyBob » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:55 am

Thanks ViragoJoe I tinkered with it some this morning, and tried changing the rear sprocket position on the studs, and it always got tight when turning the wheel. I marked the hub, sprocket, and chain, and the chain always tightened when the mark on the chain was about 12 oclock ,reguardless of rotating the sprocket to different studs. Another thing that makes me think chain is that it takes more than 1 rotation of the wheel to get to the tightest spot, but when it does get tight the mark on the chain is always in the same 12 oclock position. I should have ordered chain,and sprockets, but I just ordered a cheap chain that was on sale from Amazon. I will probably replace it with a better sprockets,aand chain in the spring .

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Post by ViragoJoe » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:07 am

BillyBob wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:55 am
Thanks ViragoJoe I tinkered with it some this morning, and tried changing the rear sprocket position on the studs, and it always got tight when turning the wheel. I marked the hub, sprocket, and chain, and the chain always tightened when the mark on the chain was about 12 oclock ,reguardless of rotating the sprocket to different studs. Another thing that makes me think chain is that it takes more than 1 rotation of the wheel to get to the tightest spot, but when it does get tight the mark on the chain is always in the same 12 oclock position. I should have ordered chain,and sprockets, but I just ordered a cheap chain that was on sale from Amazon. I will probably replace it with a better sprockets,aand chain in the spring .
Hopefully, that will correct your problem.

I can not think of anything else you can do at this point to correct this issue.

Possibly, someone else with a chain driven Virago can chime in here.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location & Bike Information.
It will aid us in assisting you!

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:58 pm

I have no experience with a chain-driven Virago, but I have other chain-driven bikes. What you're seeing is a worn-out chain, that may have been mistreated, or just wasn't maintained. New chain and sprockets will fix it once and for good.

A word of caution: don't try to cheap out. I once did: got myself just a chain for $35, and didn't replace the sprockets because they still looked really good. I was struggling with the chain losing tension every 100 miles, and it finally broke. Luckily at low speed, and very close to home, and it didn't lock up the bike or anything, but it did break the clutch pushrod... Anyways. After that I coughed up $220 for a quality chain and new sprockets and now my SV650 rides like a charm again. I still check the tension regularly but I only had to adjust it once (and very slightly so) after 2000 miles of riding.

You really get what you pay for. Get an O-ring or X-ring chain etc... your future self will thank you.
Keep Calm and Ride On!

BillyBob

Post by BillyBob » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:29 pm

jsyzdek wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:58 pm
I have no experience with a chain-driven Virago, but I have other chain-driven bikes. What you're seeing is a worn-out chain, that may have been mistreated, or just wasn't maintained. New chain and sprockets will fix it once and for good.

A word of caution: don't try to cheap out. I once did: got myself just a chain for $35, and didn't replace the sprockets because they still looked really good. I was struggling with the chain losing tension every 100 miles, and it finally broke. Luckily at low speed, and very close to home, and it didn't lock up the bike or anything, but it did break the clutch pushrod... Anyways. After that I coughed up $220 for a quality chain and new sprockets and now my SV650 rides like a charm again. I still check the tension regularly but I only had to adjust it once (and very slightly so) after 2000 miles of riding.

You really get what you pay for. Get an O-ring or X-ring chain etc... your future self will thank you.
I thought about ordering a chain,and sprockets, but I just ordered a chain that was on sale from Amazon. I don't want to spend any more than necessary till I get the bugs worked out of it . I will replace the chain,AND sprockets this spring if the bike works out. The bike has 9,000 miles,and I think the chain is original because it has no master link. This is what I ordered .

jsyzdek
What Virago you Own: 1995 XV1100. My dad has a 1996 XV535. I also ride a 2008 SV650S and 2004 Yamaha TTR125. Currently restoring a 50cc Yamaha Champ moped

Post by jsyzdek » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:36 pm

Yeah, for trying the bike out it's fine, but don't expect much mileage out of it ;)
Keep Calm and Ride On!

GDad
What Virago you Own: 1991 Virago XV1100
1996 Virago XV250
1983 Virago XV500

Post by GDad » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:31 am

Morning

BillyBob,

I had a tough time getting my chain to be correct on the 250. It was well used when I got it. I took a medium wire brush and cleaned the chain with kerosene. Every kink, then a light coat of oil (see posts and manual).

It did take a lot of adjusting at the rear. You have to 100% make sue that the wheel is exactly even on both sides of the chain adjustment nuts. if its off even a little the chain with bind.

Also I opened up the front sprocket, check it to be true and cleaned it. any bent part or chipped tooth on either end will not be a great end result.

I can take pictures of my little beast if you need them

G

BillyBob

Post by BillyBob » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:47 pm

Thanks everyone . I found a good deal on sprockets , and went ahead and ordered them they are the 45 tooth / 16 tooth ,which is what is on the bike now, so I m just waiting for everything to come in . I ordered everything from different sellers, but it is all set to be delivered by Friday. I got the bike registered ,and insured today, and couldn't resist going down the road on it with the bad chain .I hit 55, but can feel a slight thump in the bike, which I hope is the chain. The bike has new tires that the guy I got it from had put on at a shop, so I assume they are balanced . It seems to have good power for a small motor, but it feels low geared. I also noticed that for some reason the fender bracket has both bolts missing on one side of the forks. I can hear it rattling . I appreciate all the good advise you folks have given me.

BillyBob

Post by BillyBob » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:25 pm

I got my chain, and sprockets on today, and it took care of the tight spot issue. I rode about 10 miles today between rain showers, and it rode fine, and smoothly. I got it up to about 65,or so and could tell it would do a little more, but it was very happy at 55, which is all I need. I am confident that the bike will work out, so I ordered some cheap saddlebags that I found on Amazon.