2005 XV250 Wondering about changing stock bars to 10 or 12 inch ape style (Brisbane, Australia)[Reply Pending]

Have a question about fixing something on a Yamaha Virago XV250? Post it here!

Moderators: ViragoJoe, choppin

kingpin66636
What Virago you Own:

2005 XV250 Wondering about changing stock bars to 10 or 12 inch ape style (Brisbane, Australia)[Reply Pending]

Post by kingpin66636 » Sun May 23, 2021 1:43 am

Hi, I'm new here, I have a 2005 model virago 250 and like the title says looking to change some things up. Just wondering if anyone knows if the stock cables will fit with either a 19 or 12 inch ape or will I need to replace them? If so, how hard is it to change that sort of thing with standard tools etc. Thanks so much

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 2005 XV250 Wondering about changing stock bars to either a 10 or 12 ince ape style (Brisbane, Australia)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun May 23, 2021 2:54 am

kingpin66636 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 1:43 am
Hi, I'm new here, I have a 2005 model virago 250 and like the title says looking to change some things up. Just wondering if anyone knows if the stock cables will fit with either a 19 or 12 inch ape or will I need to replace them? If so, how hard is it to change that sort of thing with standard tools etc. Thanks so much
kingpin,
How about attaching a picture of you XV250 to see what we are working with to accomplish this feat.

Just stand back and look at your bike. Chances are you won't have sufficient length to move your bars upward by much with the standard cables. Not to forget to mention any wiring harnesses and your Front Brake hydraulic line.

Finding all the components to accomplish this feat is going to be your hardest issue.
how hard is it to change that sort of thing with standard tools etc.
That you will have to assess, we don't know your mechanical aptitude skills. Your call here.

Standard Tools should work fine, except for needing J.I.S. screwsdrivers (Japanese Industrial Standard). Those Philip head looking screws are not Philip screws. Using Philip Screwdrivers to remove them can and will damage the screw heads and chew them up inside and make them worthless depending on the damage done. Also, those visible will look like crap if you are able to get a couple of them out. Trust me, don't take the chance with Philip Screwdrivers. You will be sorry!

JIS Vs Phillips Screwdrivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgW2q4w20kk&t=183s

You may want to rethink the idea of ape hanger bars. It may not be worth it. Just my $0.02
But, again it is your call to make. It's your bike, time, and money being spent. It can turn into a very expensive project fast. But, it's only money, right?!!
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

kingpin66636
What Virago you Own:

Re: 2005 XV250 Wondering about changing stock bars to either a 10 or 12 inch ape style (Brisbane, Australia)

Post by kingpin66636 » Sun May 23, 2021 5:17 am

I'm curious if anyone on here has done either of those and if they had to change the cables or not. If not, than easy peasy but yeah, if I have to change cables I'd give it a bit more thought. Thanks

ViragoJoe
What Virago you Own: 1996 Virago Special XV1100SH

Re: 2005 XV250 Wondering about changing stock bars to either a 10 or 12 inch ape style (Brisbane, Australia)

Post by ViragoJoe » Sun May 23, 2021 8:22 am

kingpin66636 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:17 am
I'm curious if anyone on here has done either of those and if they had to change the cables or not. If not, than easy peasy but yeah, if I have to change cables I'd give it a bit more thought. Thanks
kingpin,

We noticed that you've changed the Handlebar heights from 12 and 19 inches to 10 and 12 inch bars. Below response would stay the same.

How tall are your current bars exactly when measured from the handle bar risers? If they are close in proximity to the 10 to 12 inches handlebars, why bother?

I believe you are the first expressing a desire to place ape hanger handlebars on an XV250 on this website.

Lets take the guess work out. Take a tape measure and measure 10"s then 19"s 12"s from the handle bar risers. If your existing cables, wiring harnesses, and Hydraulic Brake line will reach those dizzying heights. Then yup, I'd say the bars will fit. However, going with bars higher than standard bars chances are nil and slim they'll all fit.

Not seeing a picture of your bike, we can't make any suggestions, nothing to do a comparison. These pictures below of another 2005 XV250 with any bars higher than bars shown below, the answer would be NO for all handle bar mounted items as mentioned previously:

Click Images to Enlarge:
2005-Yamaha-XV250-Black-5.jpg
2005-Yamaha-XV250-Black-1.jpg
2005-Yamaha-XV250-Black-0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViragoJoe 🇺🇸
1996 XV1100SH Virago Special
"Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!!"
;)

NOTE TO ALL:
:arrow: Please edit your profile to include your location.
It will aid us in assisting you!

kingpin66636
What Virago you Own:

Post by kingpin66636 » Sun May 23, 2021 2:41 pm

Sorry for my mistake with the size, I always meant 10 to 12 inch and not 19. I'll measure it up when I finish work and take some pics while I'm at it